It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:42 am 
Bengal Cat

I have seen varying opinions ranging from 6months to 2human years. I was wondering what age i could expect to see my bengal at his full size. He is about 7 months old at the minute and still very kitten like in my opinion.

From memory his mum was fairly small. But i have some friends that have a female tabby/siamese cross which is also a small cat, and he is smaller than her. I would like to hope that he is going to get bigger, but because i see him everyday, it is hard to gauge if he is still growing. The last time we weighed him he was about 3.5kg (7.7lb).

Thanks

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:08 am 
Bengal Kitten

I think bengals stop growing when they are a bit over one year old. Or at least so I've heard (my Vilma is only five months old!). :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I found this information on one of the breeders websites :D

"The Bengal cat is medium large in size, with females generally maturing at 6 to 12 pounds and males generally maturing at 10 to 18 pounds. The Bengal cat usually reaches its mature length, height and weight by two years of age."

I have three boys aged 9/10 month. They vary quite a bit in weight. I reckon Lenny must be nearly a stone in weight whilst Lubo and Loki are likely to be around 8/91b mark. Must have them weighed properly to see if my guesses are close!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:59 pm 
Bengal Cat

I have two - they were born June 06. Turi is almost 12 lbs (he was weighed a few weeks ago at 11.5 lbs). and Minkah is 9.5 lbs but so much more agile. I expecting Turi to get to about 14-15 lbs and Minkah to be about 10-11lbs. I think they will grow til about 1 1/2 yrs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:46 pm 
Oh my word! They don't stop growing until they're up to 2 years old? Eek...methinks I need a bigger house :D

Bert has always been the bigger of my two boys and is larger than a lot of full-grown cats at nearly 9 months old. He is all muscle though (although a bit of a pig - we caught him breaking into a box of mince pies the other day!!)

Ernie was always a lot smaller but now seems to have caught up so they are similar in size now.

How on earth do you weigh a Bengal though? I've caught Ernie sitting in our kitchen scales the odd time (they have a metal bowl and Ernie's a bit of a magpie, attracted to anything shiny - if you want an amusing Bengal toy buy a Stockholm metal fruit bowl from IKEA - Ernie "surf" in ours!).

Ah...enough Bengal amusement for one day - makes me want to rush home from work to be with them (or check up on them..... LOL)

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:26 am 
Bengal Cat

Not sure if it's the right way to weigh them, but the only way we could weigh james was for my girlfriend to get on the scales whilst holding him, then get on again without him. The difference obviously being his weight.

They are digital scales, so hopefully fairly accurate. Other than that, we would have a snowball's chance in hell of getting him to stay still for long enough to weigh him on the scales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:51 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Bengal cats donnot stop growing until they are atleast two however they will still gain weight and grow in their third year, often like their wild ancestors they take longer to develop than ordinary domestics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:20 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I was told ............anywhere from 20 to 30 months old, that they are almost fully grown.
STB's take less time to grow. ''F'' cats take longer as they have more ''wild '' genes in them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:45 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My first post,so hello all!

Last summer we were missing "Lulu" our old Parisian gutter cat - (she was never really sane or tame, but we tried for 13 difficult years).

Anyway, we were briefly staying out in the countryside near Alencon and found a very beautiful litter of 8 week old kittens looking for good homes. We decided that we should try having two brothers and were given one silver and beige-white and one smaller black beige-white boys with the strangest markings (we didn't know about Bengal cats at that stage). We gently took them back to where we were staying and immediately found that these two had very special and loving natures; we were bewitched by them really. We named them Marks & Spencer (which was a little better than "Villeroy & Boch" the French lavatory manufacturers).

Spencer, the silver/ beige was noticeably larger with paws the size of snow racquets... and HUGE ears. It didn't take long to realise that the boys were definitely Bengal cats and that we had been more than lucky to be simply given them. They are now a year old (fish-cakes, candles and paper balls to play with). and they have GROWN! Marks is more stocky while Spencer is simply a leopard, very long and lean, quite exceptionally beautiful in a very wild way, both gentle and inseparable. They love water and three of us play football together and Spencer has learned to pass the paper ball back to one or other of us!

Looking at the alarming size of their paws and claws (Spencer let's me clip all four feet) I would say we have at least another 18 months of growth, by which time Spencer will be the size of an articulated bus. He likes melon with his fish or ham and I'm thinking of buying a slaughterhouse to keep up with their needs.

We've had many pets over the years but nothing like these two, they have changed our lives so much for the better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Paris7 wrote:
My first post,so hello all!

Last summer we were missing "Lulu" our old Parisian gutter cat - (she was never really sane or tame, but we tried for 13 difficult years).

Anyway, we were briefly staying out in the countryside near Alencon and found a very beautiful litter of 8 week old kittens looking for good homes. We decided that we should try having two brothers and were given one silver and beige-white and one smaller black beige-white boys with the strangest markings (we didn't know about Bengal cats at that stage). We gently took them back to where we were staying and immediately found that these two had very special and loving natures; we were bewitched by them really. We named them Marks & Spencer (which was a little better than "Villeroy & Boch" the French lavatory manufacturers).

Spencer, the silver/ beige was noticeably larger with paws the size of snow racquets... and HUGE ears. It didn't take long to realise that the boys were definitely Bengal cats and that we had been more than lucky to be simply given them. They are now a year old (fish-cakes, candles and paper balls to play with). and they have GROWN! Marks is more stocky while Spencer is simply a leopard, very long and lean, quite exceptionally beautiful in a very wild way, both gentle and inseparable. They love water and three of us play football together and Spencer has learned to pass the paper ball back to one or other of us!

Looking at the alarming size of their paws and claws (Spencer let's me clip all four feet) I would say we have at least another 18 months of growth, by which time Spencer will be the size of an articulated bus. He likes melon with his fish or ham and I'm thinking of buying a slaughterhouse to keep up with their needs.

We've had many pets over the years but nothing like these two, they have changed our lives so much for the better.

cool names marks and spencer lol, just to let you know bengals should NOT have big ears, they often look big as kittens but grow into them, bengals should in fact have small rounded ears ideally....

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:55 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Yes, that's what I think Spencer's ears will be in relation to his final size. It's that, and the size of his paws, pads and claws are the main reasons why I believe he still has a lot of growing to do. Marks is about the size of a 'normal' medium sized cat, which is big for his age, but Spencer looks as if he is going to be in a league of his own.

They both have white tummies with black polka dots, side rosettes, mascara and pale eye shadow, the usual Bengal head markings and horizontal neck, chest and legging stripes. I don't think there is any doubt at to what they are. When we took them to the vet to be 'altered' (a sad day), producing them provoked a gasp from the vet! He didn't think that we could have their age right until he looked into their mouths. The trouble is that I can't imagine ever being without them now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Do you have any photos of them to show us?

Katie xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:11 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Yes Katie I do. I've just worked out how to post them. I think....Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Err... maybe not.

Post subject: growing pains
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Not for the cats - for the humans!

The little darlings start so tiny and cute that you feel sorry for them and bring them into your bed and let them spend hours on your lap and you hand feed them little bits of meat (or other food) that they take so gently. Then you think it's so cute how they come on the table when you're eating or near your keyboard when working.

Then, somewhere around 18-24 months later, you have an enormous chubby-bum Bengal who owns the house:

1. Your bed is his/her bed and you will get a slither if you are lucky. Your duvet is the cat's comforter - especially when it's cold and human's don't stand a chance of having any

2. Sitting with a 7kg (14 pound) bengal on your lap for hours is virtually impossible without losing blood supply. They will not want to lay in your arms and much prefer paddling with very large paws/claws and sticking their huge back legs into your throat

3. Hand feeding a fully grown bengal is not the best idea. Have you seen a fully grown lion/tiger being fed? The Bengal is worse as they love their food

4. Your table will barely contain the Bengal and as they are so big, no matter how big your table is, it will never be out of reach for him/her. And should you be cruel enough (in the cat's opinion) to shut him/her out, they will yowl so loudly to complain about being poor, starving little babies that your neighbours will think you are swinging him/her round

5. Keyboards - forget it! Get a cordless one and ideally place it on it's side - takes some getting used to but at least your bengal/s do not get the chance to contribute to whatever you are writing. Trying to write a serious report on capital punishment takes a whole new meaning when one particularly large bengal (who shall remain nameless) starts to "help" and I receive an email back asking if I was on the wine when i wrote it!

So, if you have a kitten now - enjoy the time/space and reasonably sane life you have, as in 18 months it will all change, but as we love our cats dearly we don't care.

Yvette & furkids - Milly, Dusty, Chesney, Candy and Rocky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've been wondering the same question! My girls are 4kg @ 6mths. Amirah is stocky and shorter than Jamilah who is long, lean, and taller. The bigger they get, the more places they try to get into! :lol: