It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:50 am 
Bengal Kitten

This may sound like a really strange question but is it common for a bengals black paw pads to change from black to pink? My female Sassy's paws were black like they're supposed to be when we got her but at about a year old it started looking that the black was wearing off and now at 17 months her paws are almost completely pink! It really looks like the black has been rubbed off more and more but I don't know how that is possible? I've spoken to her breeder and he says he's never heard of it before. She's a brown spotted and I do have her pedigree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

what do you use to clean your floors? discolouration is usually a sign of scaring and damaged tissue. for instance if you used bleach in the bath or toilet or to clean your floor? chlorine from a pool or fountain? burns from something like a stove top or top of a wood burner. either that or a medical problem, if non of the above speak to your vets i think to be sure.

aka The NO! ->

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:56 am 
Bengal Kitten

Just water and a natural citrus cleaner, followed by lots more water. I have very sensitive skin and any trace of cleaner brings my feet/hands/body out in contact dermatitis/eczma. Also, my boy's paw pads are still completely black and I've had him for abour 9 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

don't panic!
it has been known to happen in some bengals.
i followed a discussion by some of the long-standing american breeders who were confused by it as the standard called for black paw pads.
some of them went pink for a while & turned back to black. some stayed pink & some ended up imbetween...a kind of purply-brown.
they aren't sure what causes it & why only in some, there are thoughts of it being seasonal or hormonal but it's speculation. there are also photos of ALCs with pink paw pads so it could be a trait followed down from the ancestor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Is she a snow or does she carry for snow? I've heard that this sometimes can happen in Siamese around the time of sexual maturity, so it might be linked to the pointed gene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:26 am 
Bengal Kitten

That's a relief Bundles! I was getting worried that my bengal wasn't a 'real' bengal, but as I mentioned I do have her pedigree and I do trust her breeder. Only one cat is a snow in her 4 generation pedigree (her great grandfather), but I guess she may still carry for it?[/quote]