It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: breeder response
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:19 pm 
Bengal Cat

Breeders got back to me with apologies that seemed completely sincere - they were very concerned to hear the diagnosis and very keen to eradicate the problem in their cattery. Said they had not had experience of this virus before and plan to consult the vet and do whatever is needed to resolve the issue. It was reassuring and I did feel they were taking it seriously. In the meantime have ordered ronizidol from the vets (at a cost of £100 or so) - hope the insurance will cover. Thanks for all your notes of support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wonderful news!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:31 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I have 3 cats. One is a bengal that we just adopted. He is positive for TF and has been separated from the other since we got him. I'm wondering if he turns out to be a carrier, does the TF just keep getting passed back and forth to each other or do they develop an immunity to it after treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

evel wrote:
I have 3 cats. One is a bengal that we just adopted. He is positive for TF and has been separated from the other since we got him. I'm wondering if he turns out to be a carrier, does the TF just keep getting passed back and forth to each other or do they develop an immunity to it after treatment.

they would all need treating at the same time, the treatment with RDZ if done correctly will completely eradicate the infection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:08 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks Louise. We start treatment today with Rdz. Hoping we can get it into him without too much chaos. We've only had him a few weeks and he's been quarantined since coming home. We feel bad cuz he wants to get out of this bedroom and explore the rest of the house and check out the other cats so it's been tough. Fingers crossed for getting rid of the buggy belly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Evel - how is the treatment going?
My two kittens have been diagnosed with both Giardia and TF. The vet has suggested that I continue with the antibiotics that they are on whilst we were awaiting their results along with a pro-biotic agent that gets sprinkled on their food and we start them on Fenbendazole to treat the Giardia and then afterwards to treat the TF.
He has advised that when we do treat the TF its a difficult and complicated treatment - I've read the website link information that the OP posted and thats scared me more than anything.
How is it going with yours? Have your cats suffered any side affects?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Becky,

I am sorry your kittens have been diagnosed with TF. Please look at this information: http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/infoshe ... monas.html

Unfortunately Ronidazole is the ONLY drug that can treat TF. The one your kittens are on may make the symptoms less at the time but will not actually treat TF. I had to print out the information from the website i gave you and show it to my vet. Also, they were advised by the place that did the PCR testing on the poo sample to treat with Ronidazole.

Please speak with your vet regarding changing medication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

See also

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/docs/documents/ ... _final.pdf
AN OWNERS GUIDE TO DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF CATS INFECTED WITH TRITRICHOMONAS FOETUS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

lollo2304 wrote:
Hi Becky,

I am sorry your kittens have been diagnosed with TF. Please look at this information: http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/infoshe ... monas.html

Unfortunately Ronidazole is the ONLY drug that can treat TF. The one your kittens are on may make the symptoms less at the time but will not actually treat TF. I had to print out the information from the website i gave you and show it to my vet. Also, they were advised by the place that did the PCR testing on the poo sample to treat with Ronidazole.

Thanks for your comment. The medicine is will be giving to me is to treat the Giardia first and then we will move on to treating the TF.

Junglerose - thanks for the link. Very informative - if not a little scary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

jules wrote:
Hi
I don't want to be a downer but even if the TF is treated the diarreha might not go. At least thats what's happened in our case.

Max tested positive for TF just before Christmas, he was treated with ronizaloe and re-tested. Tests can back negative. However he still has the diarreha. In fact it has never stopped. We are now wondering whether he has a food intolerence or IBS.

What gets me angry is that I had to be the one to tell the vet what to test for and what to then order as meds for TF. It is very likely that due to prolonged runny poops they do develop IBS by the end of it all. My vet spent first tests testing for worms etc...it would have been more beneficial if they include the whole panel of things when runny stools are reported without other symptoms as I had to then wait for Christmas holidays to be over, more testing to be done, medication now still not here and meanwhile my poor cat has been suffering all this time with TF and she also infected my other cat by this time as I cannot prevent them grooming each other. Breeder, when told admitted she had no clue what that was. Yet that article is from 2006 so hardly something new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

BeckyN wrote:
lollo2304 wrote:
Hi Becky,

Thanks for your comment. The medicine is will be giving to me is to treat the Giardia first and then we will move on to treating the TF.

Junglerose - thanks for the link. Very informative - if not a little scary!

My vet also wanted to put them on 3 different meds before ronidazoleI had to say no to it because research and indeed all the people on here with cats who had TF points to the fact the meds for guardia mark the symptoms for a bit but do not have any effect on TF.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:35 am 
Bengal Kitten

I recently rescued a wonderful male Bengal from an indifferent and apparently irresponsible breeder. I suspect he may be somewhat inbred. He apparently has TF -- glad to learn his problem has a name. (I thought it was along the lines of irritable bowel syndrome.) He has had it since I rescued him, and I suspect for longer still before that. He has lost so much blood that he has anemia (as evidenced by his pale gums and low energy level; he sleeps most of the time, including at night). What is the veterinary treatment for TF? He is between 3 & 4 years old and is not getting over it on his own. Should I take a fecal sample to the vet?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Amy in New Mexico, USA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Has your cat been tested for TF?

You really need to have her tested. Poo samples need to be checked by PCR which is the only reliable test for TF.

Ronidazole is the only drug that works for TF and it will need prescribing by your vet.

Please have samples tested to make sure of what you are dealing with.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:15 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Lollo,

thanks so much for getting back to me. Just one query, what does PCR stand for?

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

mojobengal wrote:
Hi Lollo,

thanks so much for getting back to me. Just one query, what does PCR stand for?

Amy

PCR: Polymerase chain reaction

If you'd like to read a bit more about it, you can go to this page on the IDEXX RealPCR Tests. If you go to the "Tests" tab, you can then click on "Canine and Feline Diarrhea Panels and Tests" and read a bit more info on the testing. IDEXX Laboratories is just the company we use at the clinic I work at, which is why I chose that one to show.

Hope that info helps. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next