It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My five month old male is getting to the stage of wanting to get into everything. If there's a glass of water on the night stand he'll use his paw to knock it over, picture frames, decorations, window coverings...it seems like he likes to relocate everything. I've tried a spray bottle, but he loves it! :? Any other ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When Chaos tries to knock over our glasses or water jug (full of water or it's not funny), first I yell, then I try to shoo him, if he continues I'll throw a cushion :oops: (that's because I'm lazy and usually laying on the couch when he does it :lol: ), and if he still continues I pick him up, refill his waterbowl because one time out of two he does it because he thinks the water isn't fresh enough (even though I change it everyday... and it's not the temperature, he loves warm water from the tap :roll: ) and try to get his mind of something else.

I must say it doesn't work well :lol:.

If he manages to knock the full jug, he usually run under the bathtub because he knows it's bad and we're going to yell and lock him in the bathroom anyway for a few minutes :lol:...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

He's just playing as lots of Bengals do - I think the only advice is to put things out of reach (taking into account how well a Bengal can jump and climb)! Most of us have got minimalist homes with our ornaments shut in a cupboard :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:44 pm 
Ginny can you see a difference with how a Bengal behaves or the charactor now you have three moggies to compare with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes I can. I must confess that I thought some of the differences were exaggerated a bit by dedicated Bengalies and I still think some things can be seen in other boisterous cats but there are some differences.

The main thing I've noticed is the difference in agility. The moglets are about the same age as the Bengals were when I got them last year (4 months) but they struggle to get up to places that the Bengals found no problem at the same age. The cat tree is a real challenge to the moglets - they really have to scramble up it but it was just a hopping off point to the Bengals. Where the moglets have to use their claws and climb properly, the Bengals would just use their powerful hind legs and jump. The Bengals were up on the top of the doors by 4 months but the moglets are only just scrambling onto the sofa!

The vocalisation is also very different - the moglets mew a lot but there's no sense that they're really communicating with me in the way the Bengals do and the noise is quite different. There are also things like my Bengals liking water and preferring open litter boxes. Physically they're quite different too - Dolly really shows the Bengal shape well and she slinks around the house whereas the moglets prance. When they were all scared of each other, the difference in body shape and posture was really noticeable - even one of my neighbours commented on it.

Sometimes I think Dolly is a more complex, deeper character whereas with the moglets you get what you see and things are much more simple in their world. No doubt things will change as they develop and I love them all for different reasons but it's fascinating comparing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:35 pm 
Thats quite facinating :D How on earth does the Bengal get on top of a door? :shock: Crikey..ta ha..only 26 days until Oscar comes home :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

kimberley wrote:
Thats quite facinating :D How on earth does the Bengal get on top of a door? :shock: Crikey..ta ha..only 26 days until Oscar comes home :D

One leap from the floor with just a sort of bounce off the frame half way up - honestly :) It's great to watch but I had to be careful not to close the door when one of them was on the top and I hadn't noticed :) Fortunately the door is too narrow for Dolly to perch on now but she still jumps onto wardrobes and high cupboards in one go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yep we've learnt the hard way, no drinks left unattended unless its amalie's cup with the lid on :lol: Irn bru on a cream carpet not a good look!! Nothing is sacred in this house anymore.. car keys have gone missing and caused arguments over who's been careless only to be discovered a week later upstairs and no one claims they left them there! (keys in our house live at the bottom of the stairs on a hook!) You have to be quick to sit down if you want to go to the toilet, we are careful to leave the seat closed but Kera has had to be fished out the toilet and rinsed off!! Only this morning she stole the wooden spoon out the pot off the stove I use to cook the dogs mince had licked it spotlessly clean and left it for amalie (21/2yr old) to get stuck in about the wet and dry cat food and the cat litter, found her happily mixing it all up!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:19 pm 
Oh dear what am I letting myself in for :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You are gonna LOVE it!!!

Take that from a dedicated Dog lover who wouldn't entertain the idea of a cat unless it really really needed a home. The Bengal is an amazing animal and i am so lucky to have been lured into this world. :D :D
The down and up actually side is yes i have had to put everything away as grace really doesn't come into the equation but at least i don't have such a long time dusting!! My house is so much tidier now....my collection of dragons and hubby's motorbikes will surface one day, but not until we have found a suitable display case, and at least i know where all my jewelery is now as i HAVE to put it away! (don't tell anyone but......if you hear of a succesful robbery in Tiffanys or another swanky store with the main suspect being a small silver cat - i sent Freya in!!!! :D :lol: )
What has amazed me is the strength in their jaws, the metal bits in phono(?) leads has been crushed!
The anticaption must be killing you - i know what i was like.......erm how to pursuade Hubby, Snow next.......

Ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:37 am 
Bengal Kitten

here's some excellent door-jumping action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ewJPe-40rY

i think i've watched every bengal video on youtube
G