It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:32 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Ripley was just diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. The vet recommended changing her diet to EVO in a few days once she feeling completely better. I've read on other sites that a low fat diet is a must for cats with pancreatitis. Is this the best food for her? Many sites recommended prescription I/D. She's been eating prescription wet DM, since my other cat is diabetic and he'll eat her food because she's a slow eater. Any suggestions welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Pancreatitis in cats can be due to gastrointestinal infections. One of my cats suffered with acute episodes of pancreatitis and was eventually diagnosed with TF. After that was treated the pancreatitis has not returned.

I was originally told to feed her a high protein low fat diet. She had Origen dry food and ate raw meat for her wet meals, supplemented with prawns and white fish. She did well on this but still had acute episodes until the TF was found and treated.

I also gave her Slippery Elm powder, mixed in yogurt. This helps sooth the whole digestive tract helping to reduce inflammation.

I know you are in the US so it may be marketed differently. Not sure Origen is available either but there must be some high meat content dry. Vets will always recommend something that they have an interest in (usually getting a nice commission for it) so do some research to find something a bit better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

This was interesting:
http://www.purelypets.com/articles/pancreatitis.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:20 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks! That is a good article. Once Ripley is feeling better I think I will have her tested for TF. She really turned the corner the other day and is acting like herself, eating and I finally saw her drinking some water today (hopefully tonight will be the last round of sub-Q fluids). I'd like to keep her as stress free as possible for a couple of days (she's a little high strung). I'm having a really hard time giving her the .2ml of Metronidazole liquid that the vet prescribed yesterday. It's nearly impossible to give her liquid meds and she's notices it's in her food if I try to put it in there... my non-bengal would eat anything and never notice he was tricked.

I was actually surprised that the vet recommended non-prescription food. They don't carry the food she recommended at their office.

Here are a few articles that were helpfu:
http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources/pd ... x-consult/\managing-pancreatitis-and-concurrent-conditions.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/4bzjge