It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:32 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello...

Thought I'd ask you lot as you are experts....

I recently purchased two kittens one for me and one as a gift for my sister and her family.
The woman I bought them from said the mother was half bengal and the father was full.
She has other bengals running around as well so I didn't doubt her.
But since reading stuff on the internet it seems a lot of people think it is inconceivable that any breeder would breed a crossbreed.
My cat is black and has the softest, silkiest hair I have ever felt on a cat.
He also has a very strange triangular shaped head (the mother also had this odd shaped head) and a very lean body.
I the light you can see ghost marble markings.
My sister's looks much more like a bengal in his markings, he has two stripes down the length of his back and has marbled markings over the rest of him, which I would liken to those ink blocks you see in psychiatrist offices.
He has spots on his belly. The markings are black to dark brown, slowly going lighter towards the middle on a creamy-brown background.
But he does not share the odd shaped head of his brother in fact everything else about him looks pretty much normal.
I am asking as I couldn't find anything about DSH's with marble markings and thus believed it to be a trait unique to the bengal breed.
Please could someone let me know if these cats sound part bengal?
I think from the markings on my sister's and the odd shaped head of mine that there is something in the mix but not sure.

I have put some photos on this link of my sister's unfortunately they aren't very good ones. (taken on an iPhone) I'll try put some better ones up when I get them off my camera.
Here is the blog url:-
http://bogblogg.tumblr.com/

Hope you can help.
Niki[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Marble is certainly not a bengal-exclusive trait. Plenty of regular cats have it, it's a regular tabby-gene. The ALC isn't even marbled, so it's a trait introduced from other breeds.

The pictures aren't that clear, but at least for the black kitten, it doesn't look much like a bengal to me as far as type goes. There are such things as melanistics, but...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

both are lovely moggies :) you can spot a bengal, and millions of moggies have 'tabby' pattern, it was around years before old bengals! they are lovely :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

i dont agree that you can easily spot a bengal when it comes to marbles or mellies, i have seen quite a few actual marble bengals that i thought were tabbies, its not always easy to distinguish between them especially if they are not a great example of the marble... with mellies its even harder imo...
the only ones its easy to say yes or no are the rosetted type as rosettes only occur in bengals and no other breed... the marble pattern occurs in tabbies and bengals.....

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Moggie I would say! I would seriously question any "breeder" that crossbreeds. Just enjoy them, and stop fretting over if it is a half/quarter/tenth bengal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

miki129 wrote:
i dont agree that you can easily spot a bengal when it comes to marbles or mellies, i have seen quite a few actual marble bengals that i thought were tabbies, its not always easy to distinguish between them especially if they are not a great example of the marble... with mellies its even harder imo...
the only ones its easy to say yes or no are the rosetted type as rosettes only occur in bengals and no other breed... the marble pattern occurs in tabbies and bengals.....

no thats true to, but it is called 'classic tabby' its only called 'marble' in bengals! but everyone seems to call their tabby marble noW1

I think you can tell good quality bengals whether marble or rosetted/spotted/etc but it can be harder when they arent.

just go by the rule, no paperwork = not a bengal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:13 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks all....the only reason I was asking is that I paid £100 each.
Which I didn't mind paying as they are beautiful lovely cats anyway but would be a bit annoying as I would have been slightly ripped off.
Bengals are beautiful cats maybe in the future I could get a full one to keep my little one company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Taylorbaby wrote:
miki129 wrote:

no thats true to, but it is called 'classic tabby' its only called 'marble' in bengals! but everyone seems to call their tabby marble noW1

I think you can tell good quality bengals whether marble or rosetted/spotted/etc but it can be harder when they arent.

The rule of no paperwork = not a bengal... mmmm i got paperwork, ie blue slip for 3 of mine after neutering, for 1 of them i just didnt bother to send off the proof of neutering so didnt get my slip, i did get a 4 gen pedigree on purchase but no slip... now my 4 are most definitely all bengal..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

miki129 wrote:
Taylorbaby wrote:
miki129 wrote:

The rule of no paperwork = not a bengal... mmmm i got paperwork, ie blue slip for 3 of mine after neutering, for 1 of them i just didnt bother to send off the proof of neutering so didnt get my slip, i did get a 4 gen pedigree on purchase but no slip... now my 4 are most definitely all bengal..

I think thats a bit different to 'kittens forsale purebreed no papers hence price' or 'rare black/white/long hair/ginger/purple bengals no papers hence price 'half bengals hence price!! :roll:

however how come you didnt send the breeder the neutering form? didnt she contact you? I stay in touch with everyone and let them know when its due etc Id be on the phone if I never got it! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Taylorbaby wrote:
miki129 wrote:
Taylorbaby wrote:
miki129 wrote:

I think thats a bit different to 'kittens forsale purebreed no papers hence price' or 'rare black/white/long hair/ginger/purple bengals no papers hence price 'half bengals hence price!! :roll:

however how come you didnt send the breeder the neutering form? didnt she contact you? I stay in touch with everyone and let them know when its due etc Id be on the phone if I never got it! :lol:

i just didnt bother, yes i contacted her and said the cat was done, but i wasnt bothered about the slip, she was fine with it, she knows me on facebook and knows i most definitely did neuter... i am in touch with all the breeders, 3 of which are facebook friends... i just didnt see the need for papers, it makes no difference at all as they are pets... xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I personally take the paperwork of my pets very seriously, but I also agree with Miki. If it's a family pet, who honestly cares? If you aren't planning on breeding/selling/showing the cat, pedigree paper work is basically pointless.

Though this could be different outside of the U.S. I suppose. Because at least where I am, even for insurance purposes no one really cares. You just insure for however much you want. I mean Bengals are completely illegal in my state but people still buy/sell them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:01 am 
Bengal Cat

The melanistic and mabled gene is deffinately not limited to Bengals. I have recently seen a Tabby cats litter which contained both marble and melanistic kittens neither parent is Bengal just BSH Tabbies. The trait could well be common I am not into the genetics involved but it seems logical. I wouldn't doubt what the breeders says just that the marking aren't specific to Bengals.

But whatever they are they look gorgeous so enjoy them for being themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

huffy13 wrote:
The melanistic and mabled gene is deffinately not limited to Bengals. I have recently seen a Tabby cats litter which contained both marble and melanistic kittens neither parent is Bengal just BSH Tabbies. The trait could well be common I am not into the genetics involved but it seems logical. I wouldn't doubt what the breeders says just that the marking aren't specific to Bengals.

But whatever they are they look gorgeous so enjoy them for being themselves.

yes i believe both the marble and the mellie gene were introduced by domestic cats and not the ALC.... which is why i personally love the spotted/rosetted coat above all others in the bengal, it most resembles its wild ALC ancestors xx