It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Some Bengals (as any other cat whether purebred or DSH)) may be prone to sensitive tummies, and diarrhoea is a problem for numerous Bengal owners who join this forum asking for advice. Pet owners often have to spend time trying out different diets in the hope of rectifying the problem which can take weeks or months - if indeed the diarrhoea problem is diet-related.

Giardia and coccidia are the more common causes of persistent diarrhoea in cats which can be detected through faecal testing.

Tritrichomonas foetus more commonly known as ‘TF’ is a single-celled parasite only recently found in felines. Symptoms can include diarrhoea with or without blood present and with a particular ‘foul’ smelling odour.
Cats can carry this parasite for years without showing any symptoms.
It is becoming more common in the Bengal breed.
Giardia is often misdiagnosed for TF.

Bengals don’t have to suffer with this condition; it is treatable. Many people and some breeders are still unaware of TF. Some vets will be unaware of TF in Bengals and won’t offer testing.

Below is a link which provides comprehensive and invaluable information on TF.

http://www.icatcare.org/advice-centre/c ... ction-cats

PLEASE, if your Bengal is suffering from chronic diarrhoea ask your vet to test for TF. Our cats need not suffer from this condition; it can be detected and it can be treated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am wondering- is TF something that will resolve itself eventually without treatment? The article in the sticky thread made it seem like it would spontaneously go away after 9months- 2 years. Obviously you don't want to leave your poor kitties suffering for that long if it's really bad and severe diarrhea can cause serious problems. But I'm just curious if it something that fixes itself or not. Anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

No, TF will never resolve itself completely without treatment. The symptoms can eventually stop after a year or so, but the cat will always remain a carrier, and therefore it could have a relapse at any time, not to mention passing the parasite on to other cats/kittens, even when not showing symptoms.

You could have 4 cats in the household/cattery with only one cat showing symptoms of TF, but that doesn't mean that the other 3 cats are not affected, which is why it is important to have ALL cats tested and/or treated for TF.

A 5-10 day day dose of panacur can halt the symptoms of TF for a while, and raw food does undoubtably mask the symptoms quite well, but the ONLY proper treatment for TF is ronidazole, and with the correct PCR fecal testing from your vet for an accurate diagnosis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:15 am 
Bengal Kitten

this info has been most helpful.

we have a 11month old female. she is the best cat

i have ever been around. we also have a persian himalayan mix.

our "izzy" has suffered with diarreha since we brought her home, she was

months old when we got her from a reputable breeder. he had purchased

her for breeding,from another reputable breeder

but she had pyromytia infection and had to be spayed.

so we got her.

the mess is getting old.

the vet has given her metronizalole (is this the same the ronizaloe you speak of, remember i am in the USA, so maybe the same?

also diagel and for the last week prednisone 5mg. and endosorb.

no change, just diarreha. i am seeing the vet tommorow for more

endosorb, and i am going to bring up this TF as all we have heard is

giardia.

i will let you know what the vet says.

your site is awesome and i will be a regular contributor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

acidrayn wrote:

the vet has given her metronizalole (is this the same the ronizaloe you speak of, remember i am in the USA, so maybe the same?

No they're not the same. They're related... but different. Metronizadole doesn't get rid of TF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:34 am 
Bengal Kitten

thank you, i posted too soon, and thank you for your quick

reply, WOW!

i read the article in the link up top, and it was very helpful. and had seen

that the two are different.

i will let ya'll know how i make out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi
I don't want to be a downer but even if the TF is treated the diarreha might not go. At least thats what's happened in our case.

Max tested positive for TF just before Christmas, he was treated with ronizaloe and re-tested. Tests can back negative. However he still has the diarreha. In fact it has never stopped. We are now wondering whether he has a food intolerence or IBS.

Taz, Jasmin and Moshi, never forgotten, always loved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:23 pm 
Bengal Kitten

OY!

hope your kitty gets better.

just got back from the vet. they never heard of this, the info i passed along from this site was amazing he said. he will have the meds tomoro and i will keep you posted.

thanks again to my new friends across the pond

ray and carolyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If your vet is unsure weather your cat has TF. before sending samples off for testing try panacure first. If that doesnt work try a small dietry change after, trying different brands of food for a week each. If symptoms persist i would recommend TF testing.
The only cure for Tf is ronidazole it can only be perscribed by a vet.
There is a university site that is testing for TF , The cost of the test is 70 dollars. If you get refered for the test through your vet youre looking at least £700-900 . including treatment.

http://junglefxbengals.webs.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:17 pm 
Senior Bengal

Is TF very common?? How would a Bengal catch it - assumed from its mother?? xx

15th August 2010 & 22nd November 2011
www.youtube.com/CherTheBengal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Natserella wrote:
Is TF very common?? How would a Bengal catch it - assumed from its mother?? xx

It is apparently more common in Bengals, possibly due in part to some breeders not treating infection nor admitting the problem exists in their breeding stock.

I don't think it is seen as much in the UK as over the pond, and most vets just don't seem to want to accept that it is a possibility when making a diagnosis, it is often mis diagnosed as guardia and unfortunately the treatment for that will have nothing more than a temporary masking effect of the symptoms.

Although not as common in the UK that does not mean it does not exist here, as quite a few people on this forum will testify ;)

It is mostly transmitted via the poo, the organism is present in the poo of an infected animal and others catch it by coming into contact with it in the litter box (or bengal butt sniffing) - It is very contagious and if you have multiple cats and find one is infected it is extremely likely they all will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

To add to what Louise has said
Quote:
Although most information on T foetus infection has come from studies of cats in the USA, we have identified several cases of infection in cats in the UK (mostly in young pedigree cats, and all from multicat households generally with more than one cat being affected), and it has also been identified in cats from Germany, Italy, Spain and Norway. In the UK, up to 30% of faecal samples from cats with diarrhoea are currently being found to be infected; with young pedigree cats (particularly Siamese and Bengal) being significantly more likely to be infected. The evidence therefore suggests that T foetus is probably quite widespread in cat populations, and infection is most likely where there is a high density of cats sharing the same environment. http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/infoshe ... monas.html

Catteries are high density cat environments Brreeders also tend to introduce new stock regularly from all sorts of different breeders, so may buy into a problem and if not identified quickly then TF will spread in their cattery very easily. As older cats tend to grow out of it but can still shed the organism, then it is the kittens that can show the prolonged diarrhoea.

Last edited by junglerose on Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

junglerose wrote:
To add to what Louise has said
Quote:
Although most information on T foetus infection has come from studies of cats in the USA, we have identified several cases of infection in cats in the UK (mostly in young pedigree cats, and all from multicat households generally with more than one cat being affected), and it has also been identified in cats from Germany, Italy, Spain and Norway. In the UK, up to 30% of faecal samples from cats with diarrhoea are currently being found to be infected; with young pedigree cats (particularly Siamese and Bengal) being significantly more likely to be infected. The evidence therefore suggests that T foetus is probably quite widespread in cat populations, and infection is most likely where there is a high density of cats sharing the same environment. http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/infoshe ... monas.html

WOW 30%, that is quite a shocking statistic, I had no idea it was as widespread as that here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would guess it is so high in Bengals due to the number of cats being imported from primarily the US and Canada, but I have no proof of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is very common. At the National show in 2004 they were asking for poo samples from any cats that went during the day. The results of that were 30% positive, across all breeds & moggies being shown.

I was speaking to Dr Chris Helps at the Supreme show this weekend & he has written an up-to-date report on TF in this country. Most of the stuff we already know, just with a few updates. He is the head of the team that have developed the QPCR test for TF (among other afflictions) at Bristol Langford veterinarey hospital & research facility. He said that roughly 20% of the samples sent to them, specifically for TF testing, were showing positive.

It was really interesting getting information straight from the horse's mouth...& what an apropriate surname! :wink:

http://www.langfordvets.co.uk/pdf/tritrichomonas.pdf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next