[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Christmas tree + cat(s) = chaos
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:12 pm 
The Real Boss

Hi

I?m concerned about putting up a Christmas tree this year because our two Bengals are still very young, wild and curious. A Christmas tree is going to be irresistible for them! They?ll want to eat it, climb it, knock off all of the decorations and no doubt try and chew through the fairy lights? :blink:

Is anyone else sharing this concern?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:14 pm 
Senior Bengal

I've pretty much given up on the fantasy of ever having a christmas tree... or anything decorative that isn't securely glued to a shelf! <_<

Maybe I'll just get a red and green cat tree, hmm....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:00 pm 
LOL, I was going to post the same thing.....no chance of putting our one up, they would be up it in seconds, in fact, wouldn't even get chance to put it together and they'd be climbing/biting it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I want a tree SO badly!!!! Trees and cats do not mix though... *sigh* Anyone have any tips for getting them to stay away from a tree? LOL...

Previous attempt, from about 2 years ago. I used sparse ornaments and everything - good thing I did. Sheesh...

The second picture is how the tree looked when we came home one evening after being out. We were so angry - but burst out laughing when we first saw it!

http://www.nutkitty.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The photos of the "dis-assembled" christmas tree brought back many memories, as well as a good belly laugh!!! :lol:

As to my own Christmas tree. Fortunately I will be in Alaska, this year over the holiday - so I can use that as an EXCUSE to NOT put one up at my house, this year. B)

BUT -- I've had MULTIPLE cats for YEARS - and I've tried a lot of DIFFERENT things, and SOME work (sort of) and other things are MISERABLE failures. :blink:

MOST important - cats and BREAKABLE glass ornaments are NOT a good combination. I have ALL "unbreakable" decorations, now (well at least things which won't SHATTER into SHARDS) A DETERMINED cat can STILL break plastic ornaments if they wish. :huh:

Some cats REALLY love to "chew" on the lights -- so far, my BIGGEST challenge. The small plastic lights that are wired in such a way that the whole STRING doesn't go off, if ONE is removed, is the most effective... Don't even THINK you won't lose a FEW lights (grin) Even SASQUATCH is a culprit in THAT regard.

As far as keeping the tree UPRIGHT... I've used a medium sized cup hook screwed into the ceiling, then heavy weight fishing line, tied to the TOP of the trunk of the tree, and double looped into the cup hook is EXTREMELY helpful.

Next, the smallest version of multi-purpose plastic ties, (often used for securing wiring) looped through the hook on ornaments, then looped around the BRANCHES of the tree, and pulled tight - are most effective, at keeping the little rascals from un-decorating the tree in your absence work... but are an AWFUL LOT of work both attaching the ornaments to the tree while decorating -- then when YOU want to REMOVE them, just as much work.

If you have a tree which has branches that "stick into the trunk, it is a little easier to just LEAVE the most tightly attached ornaments on the branches, and just pack them back up, with ornaments still attached. (makes for a little LESS work, NEXT year (grin)

I haven't ventured to TRY a REAL tree, for SEVERAL years. So, I don't know what you folks who do a "real" tree would do, about that.

Any way you go... as determined as some Bengals are -- I have NO idea how you will completely prevent ANY ornament removal. (grin)

Just a few ideas. I KNOW that "weighting" the tree hasn't seemed to help, even with my NON-bengals -- I figure if a non-bengal can turn a tree over, by racing up the "trunk" to remove the angel or star from the top -- I can't begin to imagine what the Bengals would do.

I can't WAIT to read all of the posts, in the coming month, of what DOES and what does NOT work - in this regard.

I have not left the house, since I got home from work, Wednesday -- and both ME and all of my cats, are loving the "extra" relaxing time.

I may TRY to wrap some presents which need to be "shipped" this weekend... but I'm BETTING, I'll have help, no matter HOW HARD I TRY, to have a "cat free" room, when I begin. :)

Good luck - for all those who will, once again ATTEMPT to "cat proof" their holiday decorations!

LaVon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:38 am 
What's going to happen to your babies whilst you are away? :o They are going to crack up without you, the place will be in bits by the time you return, no doubt it will be Bengal instigated too :lol:

Bengals and ornaments certainly don't mix, the other day Hestia found a way to sit on top of the fireplace, she spotted a vase she obviously didn't like and it was quite deliberate, she got her paw behind it and FLICKED it off the fireplace, it was quite comical, luckily it landed on carpet and didn't break!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

<!--QuoteBegin-fancidots+Nov 26 2004, 03:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fancidots @ Nov 26 2004, 03:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Some cats REALLY love to "chew" on the lights -- so far, my BIGGEST challenge.  The small plastic lights that are wired in such a way that the whole STRING doesn't go off, if ONE is removed, is the most effective... Don't even THINK you won't lose a FEW lights (grin)  Even SASQUATCH is a culprit in THAT regard.[/quote]
I'm screwed then... here is a pic from the same year I took the pictures of the tree above:

:D

Maybe I can have a tree in about a decade or so when my cats are too old to care!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:52 am 
The Real Boss

LMAO (Laughing my Ar*e off) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:00 am 
The Real Boss

Dawn

...Did you honestly think that the scratch pad hung on the door knob (on the second picture) would distract the cat from the tree :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here's my take on the whole thing. I've always had cats and I've always had Xmas trees.

Milo our Bengal boy loves Christmas. He especially loves the 8-foot cat
toy his mommy put up for him. I can't keep him off of it LOL I can't
keep him away from it. He climbs it, sleeps under it, takes the
ornaments off of it. Nothing keeps him away, not water (he loves water),
not loud noises (huh? you talking to me he says?) not canned air sprayed
at his bengal butt. Can't win, don't try. We let him play with it. We
keep and good ornaments off the tree and anything breakable goes near
the top. Wood ornaments within paw reach only. No tinsel ever!

I can't use any of those sprays because of my allergies. I'm pretty much
allergic to all perfumes and scents (candles, detergents, sprays etc).

My advice? Put one up and let her play with it. One more word of advice.
Get some fishing line, 20-pound test and anchor that tree to the wall in
at least 2 places. That way, she can play with it and not knock it over.

L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:09 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

<!--QuoteBegin-Heidi+Nov 26 2004, 05:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Heidi @ Nov 26 2004, 05:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Dawn

...Did you honestly think that the scratch pad hung on the door knob (on the second picture) would distract the cat from the tree :lol: [/quote]
Hey now! That was there BEFORE the tree - give me a little credit!!! LOL!!