[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Advice for 3 month old Kitten please...
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:22 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:25 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think the vets right, it's probably a combination of new scenery and different food.

When we got Oska his poos were very soft for about the 1st month, our vet said as long as he is healthy, eating and full of energy don't worry about it.

I think the thing with the food is to stick with one for a while as it takes their tummy's awhile to adjust.

Naomi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:27 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank-you both for your replies, I have just noticed that she is now licking up her stools after she has done them, I really don't know why she is doing this now :? any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Kittylix

I can relate to this 100%. You can look back at my last posts and will see I went through the same as you.

We got Bailey when he was 10months old and our breeder sent us home with some sachets of meat (felix) and some James wellbelgood biscuits and Tesco's own branded litter.

Bailey was our first cat as well as Bengal so we spoiled him rotten.

We made two mistakes when Bailey arrived 1) we changed his litter and 2) we changed his food.
Bailey had really soft stools which went right to runny just like your little Lola and he also went without knowing it. We took him to the vets and was told the same as you it was his food, was told to change to Science plan biscuits and to feed him chicken and rice which we did.

Bailey’s stools became a lot better on raw chicken but we are not so happy about giving him this but are going through a personal debate about this. However, this helped and his stools are now normal. However, he was still pooing out of the box and for weeks we couldn’t understand why. Our breeder and many people on this site suggested reverting back to the tesco litter, we did this about a month ago and ever since then he has never had an accident.

However, because we changed his food and gave him chicken Bailey has became a fussy cat and now we are in the process of trying to revert him back to the felix sachet meats for a health diet but its taking time, he is only licking the jelly and refuses to eat anything unless its rraw chicken and sometimes cooked chicken. I have got to the stage of that’s it now no chicken and I know its our own fault for giving it to him but now I am having to be cruel to be kind and having to leave the felix meat down and if he doesn’t eat it he goes without, if he is hungry he will eventually eat it, he did up to 10months old.

Anyway after my rambling I would suggest sticking with the food your breeder gave you and give Lola more dry than wet food and to stick with the same litter as the breeder used.

Hope this helps.

Emma
www.Baileyblue1.piczo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:47 pm 
The Boss

How long ago did she have her vaccs, and which ones did she have....and how long has she been with you?

Its more than likely just due to stress with the new surroundings combined with a intolerance to her new diet, Hills PD is the best thing for her at the moment. It's no good putting her back on whiskers until her tummy has recovered fully, I also wouldn't allow her to lick any faeces just in case there's an infection to blame.....It sounds a horrible job but if its dripping out with every step you must clean her bum for her to avoid chapping and also it'll stop her eating any more faeces.

If the area does become sore and chapped then just apply a light rub with some sudocrem, and try to draw her attention away from there so she won't just lick it off.

There's also some pro-biotic that you can get that will line the stomach and aid digestion, your vet can supply you with this if you ask.....we always have some in stock just in case, it's called "Promax".

An important thing to understand is that kittens with diarrhoea need fluids replacing so so they don't become dehydrated, so ensure she has access to the prescribed food and fresh water at all times...personally I would take up the biscuits and just allow her wet food to make sure she is getting enough fluids back into her.

If its not resolved itself by the weekend your vet will want you to supply a stool sample for testing....but provided she's still active and playful I wouldn't worry too much about her, just keep cleaning her bum and feeding her the Hill PD. (and the Promax if you can get it)

Hope this helps :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:58 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi again....firstly thanks for all your help, its great to know other people have gone throught he same things. Your advice is valuable at this delicate time.

We have had Lola for 8 days now.

Her cat litter is the same as the breeder used which is the wood based type, and the food was exactly the same as the breeder aswell, this is why I am totally miffed as to why this is happening.

Last night after her Jab at the vets she really perked up and her stools were finally of a firm consistency, also she used the tray with no accidents at all!

This morning I gave her her tablet, she had fresh bottled water in her water bowl and is taking to the Hills PD. Her stools this morning however had gone back to runny :( it's not quite as severe and she is managing to get to the tray, although she had a few accidents this morning. But she has stopped licking at it which is great.

I also had to put her in the bath after coming back from the vets as she was covered in it from the journey, she seemed to actually enjoy it! And I have also been wiping her bum although sometimes this seems to stimulate her and out it all comes again :?

She has had Feline rhinotrachetitis (R)
Feline Calicivirus (C)
Feline Panleucopaenia (P)

On the following dates 12/05/07 and 31/05/07 I have also just started her on the same worming treatment as the breeder which is Panacur over 3 days starting from today.

I have heard about feeding them raw chicken, can people explain the fors and againsts for this?

Many thanks again for helpful replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:22 pm 
Senior Bengal

This might be totally irrelevant but do you have any house plants or cut flowers she could have chewed ?
A lot of plants and flowers are very toxic and can cause severe diarhorea and even death.
Just a thought as you haven't changed her diet at all.

Regards

Liz

Junglefire/Junglefrost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:11 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi Kittylix,

We had soft stool/diahrrea issues with both our cats (bengal and aby) for about the first month when we brought them home. Stella, our bengal, I believe had giardia now that I think about it. I took her to the vet and her stool became normal about a week after treating her for parasites. Plus, her breeder informed me that Stella's sister was diagnosed with giardia. Penny, our aby, had impacted anal glands. Her stool is much better now, but she still goes in for treatment every now and then.

I hope neither of these problems are what your kitty is experiencing. FYI...our vet recommended that we feed Stella, our bengal, Hill's i/d. We listened at first and after about 2 weeks of feeding it to her, her coat became really dry looking and lost all its glitter. Against the vet's advice, we immediately switched her back to her normal food and her coat returned to its usual beauty within a week or two and her stool also became normal. I refuse to feed my cats Science Diet foods now. Good luck with your kitten!! I'm sure things will work themselves out soon enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:16 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hey guys,

Just a quick update on Lola, also many thanks for your replies and help. She is now doing so much better, she really loves the Hills i/d food, and is drinking plenty of water, her stools are now firm and she is going to the tray with success. She has also perked up loads and is happily running about the house.

One thing I will say is how disappointed I was in my Vet and the way he didn't really seem to have much clue about Bengals. I gained most of the advice off you guys and searching the internet. Her breeder was also very concerned and we have been keeping in close contact.

Looking back I felt that it took Lola best part of a week to feel completely comfy in her new surroundings, so I'm wondering if the stress of being in a new environment caused her to feel not so good?

Anyway we now have one V happy kitty enjoying life with us :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Glad it's all sorted

Naomi