[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - New bengal owner
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New bengal owner
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:37 pm 
Bengal Kitten

hi im the proud owner of a bengal named lucy, dont get it wrong lol lucy is actually a boy but we got him when he was very young and thought he was a girl, how we got him was incredible luck, my dad works outside alot and there was a tiny small kitten in the back alley, it was away from its mother so he kept an eye on it, after a day of not seeing a mother and and fear of it walking just a few metres away to a busy street my dad brought him home, yes lucy was a stray. we had him for about 5 months and when the vet saw him she was completely surprised and insisted he is a bengal, the vet said she used to work with them and swears lucy is bengal, so when we got him home i searched around on the net and found a whole ton of websites all about them and the pics look rediculously like my lucy, so after learning this i want to learn as much possible as i can about this breed because i love wild and exotic animals and this is about as close to an exotic cat as i can get. well i am looking forward to being part of this forum. well what am i waiting for ...ON WITH THE PICS

this is lucy the day we got him with our old bedrethen camera

and here are some older pics from about 2-3 months ago

here he is holding our adult tabby down and licking her head profusely lol

and here are some brand new pics of him

enjoy :D

Post subject: WELCOME TO THE FORUM
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Owen & Lucy,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :D

So sweet that you took him into your home. He looks very content with himself.
We breed Bengals and have named our new stud boy Cash after the legendary Johnny Cash. We thought we'd give the kittens he sires for us song titles. One of the names is called " A Boy Named Sue " :lol:

Not sure if anyone will want their boy called it but we certainly will with a boy we keep.

Our neighbours cat was called Lilly and she turnerd out to be a male. So I named her Lilly Savage after the drag queen.

Love the pictures :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:09 am 
The Boss

Hi Owen

He's a lovely looking boy and what touching story he has, almost like it was meant to be that way! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hiya
I've only just joined that is a fab story,we are getting a couple of Bengal kittens in a couple of weeks, one boy and one girl,they are only 6 weeks old on thursday, the male is spotted and the girl is marbled,we already have two cats a ten year old male and a four year old female.

Post subject: Welcome to the Forum
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the forum :D

Will you be getting your new kittens when they will be eight weeks old ?

Hope you don't mind me asking only as a breeder We are not allowed to let our kittens leave for their new homes until they are 13 weeks old.

I don't want to sound awfull for asking it's just that there are a lot of Back yard breeders out there that are selling kittens cheap and un vaccinated :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Elaine
yes we are getting them at 8 weeks,she said we could wait untill they were 13 weeks but it would cost us a lot more money,and she is gonna photo copy their pedigree,the mother cat was very friendly with us and the 5 kittens looked very fit and healthy.The father was a f3 or f4 and looked quite wild looking but was very friendly.
I was told about her buy someone who does breed,but this someone didn't have any kittens at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Caroline,

Have you asked if the kittens will have all the necessary paper work to prove that you are buying a full Bengal kitten ? All pedigree kittens will come with registration slips.

I really do think that the kittens will be far too young to come to you at eight weeks old. The kittens may not be weaned from their mother and it could be a difficult time teaching them to eat solids and litter train them.

Please becareful Caroline because no reputable breeder would let their kittens leave so young.

You need to ask for a health guarantee and contract whilst the kittens are still growing.

Please think twice before buying them. They could end up costing you a lot more money in the end. Kittens are really vulnerable at that age especially before they are vaccinated.

I'm just a bit concerned that you might not be buying from a registered breeder :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:20 pm 
The Boss

Hi Caroline,

Elaine has beat me to it but here goes anyways! :wink:

I'm sorry to say this but a photocopy of the parents pedigree is just totally unacceptable.....It only costs a maxium of £12 to register a kitten with the GCCF!

All you will be buying is a unregistered kitten which you personally can't register, only the breeder can do this.....there will be some underlying reason for them not doing this for other than to save you money.

Also I must make you aware that at 8 weeks old they won't have any vaccinations, this is a receipe for disaster.....trust me!

I strongly advise you to walk away from this breeder and also make them aware the reasons why. Any registered breeder is bound by a code of ethics, not only by the appropriate governing bodies but also by any breed clubs that they are afiliated to.....this ensures a certain protocol has taken place and the welfare of the breed has been upheld.

Please don't be offended by what I've said, there's quite a few reputable breeders on this forum now who'll agree with the all above comments 100%.....we're here to offer sound advice to new owners not to scare them off!

Lukey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Luke,

Yes you are right. It's that I could hear the alarm bells ringing when Caroline said she was buying 2 eight week old kittens.

I didn't want you to feel I was attacking you Caroline, I just don't want you to make a mistake.

We are all nice and love to chat :wink:

Glad to have you on board :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:39 pm 
The Boss

Hi there Elaine! :wink:

Thought you and Steve might of ventured upto The BCCGB show in Bracknell with Chiller.

It was a great show, shame you missed it....Long bloody drive for us but worth it! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

HA HA.....I Bet it was a long drive Luke :lol:

Steve works shifts and every other week he is up at 3.00am.
I think I would have been able to pursuade Steve to go the BCCGB show if we hadn't been collecting our new boy from Heathrow the week before.

I'm working on Steve to take me to the next show at Gateshead....Got some juicy Steak meals in mind to win him over :wink:

If that fails I'll still go..WHERE THERE'S A WILL THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi thats for all you advice,the women and her daughter told us that she was going to breed both dogs and cats but she couldn't cope with both of them in the end,so her daughter was looking after them untill they are sold,this was the mothers cat 2nd litter.Don't know what to think now as we have already put a deposit for them for a £100,she said we can go and see them anytime we want.we did take a few pictures of the kittens and mother cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:15 pm 
The Boss

Gateshead.....There's no hiding behind those Pennines for that show Elaine! :lol:

Our next one is at Milton Keynes, Its a Coontica 2 day show.....Heidi is master clerk so we'll be slumming it for the weekend at some sleazy travelodge on the motorway services somewhere, trying to keep Uproar from howling the whole place down no doubt!

There's going to be a seminar the night before by Adriana Kajon on the genetics of coloration of the domestic cat......Thats gonna go right over my head for sure, but it should prove to be an interesting evening anyways!

Martin, Ros and the rest of the Coontica team always put a good show on.....always seem to run without any hitches at all.

p.s Please tell Heidi about those steak meal thingys the next time you see her.....I'm well under-nourished, the cats eat better than me! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:41 pm 
The Boss

Hi Caroline,

Do whatever you feel is right, we haven't seen the breeder, her cats or the kittens nor do we know the situation she's in!

Just arm yourself with our advice and do what you think is best!

Just so you know, The prices for a pet quality bengal are approx £400-£500 depending where on location of the breeder and quality of pedigree......but this is for a 13 week old kitten with ALL vaccs and documents in place. This should also include a kitten pack containing food, toys etc etc.

What I can't understand is if its her 2nd litter why won't she register them and give you a true pedigree and registration document from the GCCF or Tica (not a copy of parents).....as I've said above if the parents are registered active for breeding and everything is above board it's just a case of it costing an extra £12 per kitten for proper registration docs!

I get the same feeling Elaine has, this breeder might not have breeding rights for her queen and thats the reason behind not registering them.....maybe we're wrong, it's just practice like this goes against our ethics and essentially the reasons behind our breeding programs.....thats why our feelings seem to be so strong on this subject.

Knowledge is power.....tell the breeder straight! :shock:

For some, breeding pedigree animals is all about "get rich quick schemes" hence your breeder giving up on cats and sticking with dogs, no doubt because they've realised its not as profitable as they first thought.....to others its about pure dedication to the breed and that alone.

Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you and remember we're always here to help.....keep us updated! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Meemonkey
I will keep you all informed what happens,we are going to get all the injections done ourselfs, is that anytime after 8 weeks,the women told us to leave the leukaemia one untill about 16 weeks because they can have nasty effects on them and make them ill, is this true.