[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Introducing a bengal to outside
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:54 pm 
Bengal Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Adam

hows you?
how long has he been inside with you for as the longer they have been inside it is more probable that they will not stray too far!
The downside of him going out is not that he will not return to you ,but as bengals are a desirable cat to have,he could get stolen. it is not unheard of. :(
there are other ways of securing gardens ect like the roller fence ,where he could have free roam with out going out of your garden, and various other "safe cat" devices.

ultimately its your decision but take all the baring factors into consideration as bengals are extremely inquisitve as you know!
area, road traffic,disease :D
FG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:15 pm 
Bengal Cat

We have a similar situation as we have a Bengal and Ragdolls.

Our garden is fully fenced so we do let them out the back while under supervision and a quick 20-30 minutes zooming about the back garden does seem to satisfy them and they dont run towards the door so much.

Interestingly, it is only the back patio door they try to get out of as we have always pushed them back if since kittens if they have tried the front door.

Im now buying a outside secure pen so they can spend more time outside safely.

The only problem I have found before is when I had my parents Ragdolls. They were use to going out before living with us so we let them use the cat flap. The problem is its OK if you live in a quiet cul-de-sac, etc but not so good if you live near a busy road. I also found at that time they would end up in our neighbours house as they were frienly cats, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Adam,

He will come back, if he is bonded with yourselves. He'll sit on the window and demand back in if it is cold or he is hungry, tired etc. If he can indeed get back to you.

But I would agree with FG, is it a sensible suggestion to let him out in the first place?

Do you live in a safe area? Cats can travel up to five miles in a night.

Town - busy roads, dangerous sites: building sites,factories, bad neighbours, cat theft of Bengals is quite common, disease, fighting with other cats, dogs, foxes, cat haters - some people object to the fact that the bird population will decrease or at the very least get scared off etc etc

Country - busy often faster roads, shooting parties, hunting, trapping of other animals - snares, gamekeepers, disease, also the same as in town, fighting with other cats, dogs, etc.

Can you bear it if he doesn't come back?
Fatal accidents, theft, getting lost if straying too far, finding he likes the neighbours house three streets away better than yours and you never find out, etc. etc.

There are loads of lost and found sites out there, all with sad stories of cats that never came back.

I would think very carefully.

Elsa

PS If you do let him out, don't make a big deal of getting him back in all the time, if you are continually dragging him into the house everytime he comes back, he will make a point of keeping just outside your range, until he is ready to come in by himself. Not good, if you really want him in in a hurry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:09 pm 
Bengal Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:25 pm 
Bengal Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:36 am 
Bengal Kitten

I'd have to agree with elsa213 and filthy_gorgeous on the dangers or risks of letting a cat go out. I wouldn't let my Vilma go out simply also because when I bought her I signed a contract saying I'd not let her go out. In Finland, I think, it's a common practice that breeders do not allow their kittens and cats to wander free outdoors. Also, by-laws (I wonder whether that is the correct word...) in some towns prohibit you from letting a pet go out.

Also, my sister's moggie disappeared a few years ago. They let him go out and they lived in a very quiet area. Nevertheless, I suppose he may have gotten lost also because he was so trusting - he was known to have gone to the neighbours' because they fed him and my sister had to go and pick him a couple of times.

If I let Vilma out I suppose she'd get lost immediately. :lol: She is so outgoing, trusting and adventurous that who knows where she might wander!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Indy lost his wanderlust after being neutered so I'm suprised your Bengal want to go out so much....but then they can be awkward characters.

A friend of ours recommends putting butter on their feet the first time they go out. Don' know why but her tabby comes home.

I'm not sure I would let Indy out unsupervised...worried he might get pinched!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:21 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:16 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi

what ever you do do not let you cat out on its own. I recently lost my little girl to a car knocking her down and we live in a very quiet cul de sac.

I am now in the process of building a luxury run on the back of my house so our boy can still get fresh air and sit in the sun safely.

Believe me people always do things when its TOO LATE. I know its easy for us to say dont let him out but i do agree an indoor cat is a safe cat.

There is nothing more in this world i would love more than to turn back time 2 weeks... believe me. its very very hard when they have gone.

Christian

Post subject: Letting a bengal outside
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:01 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hiya :)
I very much agree with Christian on this. It really doesnt matter whether you live near a busy road or not! I live in a village. There is a 30 mph limit on the road outside the house. It is not very busy. I lost my first bengal last february. Curiosity for the outside, she opened a window and got out. A car killed her in the night. :cry:
NOTHING can compare with how I felt that morning when I got a phone call from a kind samaritan who had taken her body in. (She had a collar and ID on it).

Think carefully particularly if they are confident cats too. They have no road sense at all, so against a car they have little chance.

Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have to agree completely with Christian and Lily, Our
Maine Coon cat was run over at Christmas, we weren't going to let him out he just found a way, so we just let him, wish we hadn't now as I miss him terribly.

Oska (our bengal kitten) and Harvey (our new maine coon) kitten are definetly not going out, we have built a run in the garden (i'm sure our neighbours think we are getting a monkey as it goes up a tree) as soon as the have sussed the cat flap (which are our moggies use to get out) it will be an in only cat flap.

Really couldn't go through getting a phone call off someone again.

I really would reconsider cats generally aren't road wise

Naomi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:06 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My female bengal has now been spayed, so in the spring I'm looking at letting her go outside. When I'm out in the garden I'll take her out with me and see what happen's :?: . I've had cat's all my life siamese, moggy's who all were outdoor cat's they just followed me around the garden up and down the road and they've all been ok. so I'll see how It go's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:54 pm 
Bengal Cat

I don't know about your bengals, but mine - from the day we've had them - were very friendly with us and with any of our visitors. My boy and girl are 6 months now, and we can take them to our friend's house and they sort of "move in" within 5 mins. They get used to new environments and people so fast, it's frightening. They even like the vet!

For that reason, I will not allow mine to go outside. They would easily go to other people who might like them a little too much...! I think this is the main risk with Bengals. A garden pen or similar would probably do the trick.