[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Sadie isnt walking properly
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:46 pm 
Bengal Cat

We bought a 10 month old Bengal from a family who had 5 Bengals. When we got her home, she was really shy and would hide behind the TV all the time. When we got her out, she would walk/run fine.

A day or two ago, we noticed that she wasn't running from us like before - she even let us pick her up without a fuss. Strange. I put her on my lap and cuddled her for a while. When she came to jump off, she kinda landed with her back legs out - almost flopped on the floor.

We then realised she would walk a few steps then lay down. Since getting her, she would "bunny-hop" up the stairs - not like normal cats who "walk" up them - but she would walk normally.

My wife and I have picked her up and rubbed her legs - no signs of pain/discomfort - we even pulled them down to see if they would extend without pain - no problems there either.

Her rear toes are spread out - not seen that before on a cat. She cleans and scratches herself like a normal cat.

I emailed her previous owners to see if they have had a similar issue with her before, and they said they hadn't. They did say one of their other cats would "pretend" it was paralysed but it was really just lazy - so we hope it might be the case here.

Now she barely walks at all - but eats fine and used the cat tray too! Her coat is beautiful and she "looks" fine. She looks a little "tubby" around her belly - almost like she is pregnant - but there are no signs of pregnancy and she is too young.

Has anyone else experienced this before in a Bengal? She is from the Millwood line and was originally bought from Bramblewoods.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

Take her to the vet right away.

Elsa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:11 pm 
The Real Boss

Hi James

As Elsa said, get her to the vets right away. There could be a number of reasons for this...some not so serious but some more so...it's just not worth taking the chance!

Please let us know how it goes.

Regards
Heidi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:16 pm 
Bengal Cat

We will do - as I said, I can't think of anything that could have hurt her as she only has access to the kitchen and living room (until she settles in).
She appears to be in no pain and she eats/poos fine.
She certainly isn't acting how Bengals should act.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 pm 
Bengal Cat

well, I got in from work (my wife got home an hour before me) - she said Sadie wasn't walking at all. Even when my step daughter turned up, she never ran.
I took her straight to the vets who are baffled. She SEEMS healthy - reflexes are fine. Her eyes dilate correctly etc

They are keeping her overnight and are going to xray her tomorrow to see if she has any spinal damage or a slipped disc :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:58 pm 
Bengal Cat

I just called the vet - the receptionist went off for a while and came back to say the vet wants to speak to me but is in surgery. He'll call me when he comes out.

Doesnt sound good :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi There WildWayz,

Can't stop thinking about your Bengal....poor thing. Fingers crossed she's just knocked herself and it's not too serious :(

My heart goes out to you.
I keep checking the forum for news !

Warmest wishes,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:18 pm 
Bengal Cat

I know it sounds bad, but i've had to run the worst case scenario with my wife. If they come back to say that she will be OK but will always have back problems then I am afraid I would rather she was put to sleep. She is 10 months old and she has her whole life ahead of her. She shouldnt be crippled and go through the discomfort for the sake of us wanting her alive.

So we'll see what they say :(

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi,

Lets just hope it isn't bad news......FINGERS & TOES ARE CROSSED :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:46 pm 
Oh James - how terrible for you. It's a horrific decision to have to make, but if it comes to that, then you can only do what you feel best for Sadie. I would be devastated in the same position, but I couldn't bear either of my boys to suffer.

Please let us know what happens at the vet and fingers crossed for you.

With best wishes

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:12 pm 
Bengal Cat

I just called the vet again and was told by the receptionist that Sadie is OK and is ready to be collected. I asked her what was wrong with her and she said "You'll have to speak to the vet, but he is in consultations at the moment and cannot speak to you".

Our vet works these hours:
08:00 - 10:00 - Surgery
10:00 - 12:00 - Open consultation
12:00 - 14:00 - Surgery
14:00 - 16:00 - Open consultation
16:00 - 18:00 - Surgery
18:00 - 20:00 - Open consultation

So now I have to wait for him to call me back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:16 pm 
Bengal Cat

I have spoken to the vet. She said the X-Rays showed nothing wrong! They have taken a blood sample and asked us if she could send it off for full and thorough testing ie potassium etc. She said it is as though she is too weak to walk rather than a physical problem. The tests will cost £50-£60.

We are picking her up tonight as she isnt in pain, and is eating/pooping fine.

Cats; who'd have them?!
(me - cos they rock)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

Good news. Big sigh of relief.
I was a bit worried about the pts scenario.

Does she still have the bloated abdomen or has that gone down?
When will you get the test results?
Hope this is just a small blip and that she willl be well again soon.

Elsa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:42 pm 
Bengal Cat

Her stomach always seemed like it was a pregnant cat's one - but my step-daughter's bengal has a saggy belly too, so I think it is a trait of them.

We will get the test results early next week. I thought she might have swallowed a toffee and it made her constipated - she likes knocking them on the floor!

At least if she is physically fine, mentally fine, eating and pooing fine then anything which is making her weak should be corrected via a diet change or injection ie potassium deficiency, calcium deficiency etc

She eats Pets @ Home's dried food that was recommended by a Siamese breeder. It is one designed for cats upto 18 months old.
We'd occasionally give her some wet food too as a treat.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:18 pm 
Interesting - I feed my two Pets @ Home dried food - mainly because I did some research before getting my boys and didn't want to feed them on a brand that is made by a company that does animal testing. Ernie has a very saggy tummy - I wonder if there's a link? ;-)

Glad to hear that it's not bad news from the vet - but very odd, nonetheless...

Teresa x