[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Hello - help please!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello - help please!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:05 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi, everyone. This is my first post...

I am an experienced feline recuer, having rescued and rehomed over 20+ cats (some with kits along...) over the past few years. Never, however, did I expect the call I got last night at about 6 pm.

I got the call from a friend in the lower part of my state; she told me that her tenants had "abruptly" moved last week and abandoned their cat...could I come get the cat before it was run over or hurt? She's allergic, but had been setting food out for it on the porch the last few days (dog food...but hey, it's something). I told her I'd be there this morning.

I drove 1/2 way across the state, and managed to get an appointment with my regular vet for this afternoon. Long story short, this gorgeous, bedraggled, injured (although not badly), darling, sweet, wonderful young cat came right up to me, hopped into my lap, and was easily transplaced into a carrier. Into my car he went, me thinking I'd have a serenade for the 3.5 hour trip home, but he curled right up and went to sleep. For 90% of the drive he slept...no issues, no fear, no panic, no anything you'd expect.

Went to the vet. Much to my surprise, she told me I had a Bengal kitty. An unneutered, not show/breed quality (so I'll have him neutered ASAP), about 8-9 months old, underweight, flea-ridden, scratched up Bengal kitty.

I've never dealt with a bengal at all. After a very quick scan of some photos, I'm not sure he's 100% bengal; he's not got the very thick fur, nor the rosettes nor glitter. He does have the white belly, the rust markings, the gorgeous build, has some spots but more bars, the squarish head and is definitely is a chatter-er. And loves water. At the vet's, the first thing he did was go to the sink. I thought he was thirsty, but apparently he just wanted to play. I'd have to guess he's 1/2 bengal and DSH...but that's just a guess. The vet is certain, however, that he is bengal at least part.

Anyway, I was hoping you all could give me some tips, tricks, advice, "watch-out-fors", and any and all other info you think might be helpful. I have him kenneled right now primarily because of the other cats, as well as the fact he's got a few (pretty bad) scratches or bites and needs to have them treated and disinfected. So I'm keeping him private for the time being.

As I've said, I've done quite a few rescue/rehomes, so I'm not too terribly unfamiliar with the process. But I've never done it with a bengal.

And just so you all know, he's sitting here, sort of "humming" at me. The kennel fits into the area where my legs would go under my desk, so he's got me right here. And he's - humming. Can't say it's anything else...just humming. And man, he's a dear one.

So again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance - and happy Thanksgiving!!

Noni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:15 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:58 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:18 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:16 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Sounds like you've got an active Bengal Boy! From your description, he is probably a Bengal-- not all of them have the rosettes or the glitter, and some of them don't develp the glitter until they are fully adult. My snow boy didn't have any spots at all until he was almost a year old-- he was a late bloomer. Your description of his behavior sounds so much like my Winston when he was a kitten. He knew no fear, wanted to PLAY! PLAY! PLAY! but also left my parents' older Siamese male alone when he visited.

Fishing-pole type toys will work wonders, and try playing fetch with fuzzy balls. My boy would do that for half an hour at a time. Anything interactive is good.

But you do have to be careful. When my little girl (Cinnamon) was a kitten, she jumped up the chimney flue while I was cleaning my wood stove. I have the fireplace-insert type of wood stove, and had to pull the whole bloody thing out of the fireplace in order to get her out! They are fast and they are nosy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:18 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks, all.

Oliver is really giving me a run for my money. He's terrorizing the rest of the cats, and while I know it's just him being an active bengal, they don't realize it. He's INSANELY energetic. And I don't mean energetic, I mean insanely so. He is playing, but he's playing really, really rough - and I'm used to hard to handle cats, but he's close to impossible.

So what sort of toys can I get him that will help him burn off this sort of energy, which is dangerous to the other cats?

And yes, he will be neutered this week - either Friday or Saturday. I know that will help somewhat, too. I've trimmed his claws as he's drawn blood from the others.

Apparently, he was raised with dogs, and because of that he doesn't understand how to play kitty. He really is more like a dog, which is apparently a breed characteristic, but he's just like a puppy - doesn't quite know when to stop. And I know he's just playing because whenever I separate him from one who he's cornered, he looks at me with "what?" in his eyes, and doesn't use his claws on me. If he were angry, I'd expect to get a few scratches, at least, and some "I'm pissed off" vocalizations. But he doesn't do that. So it's reall just play.

So any help would be appreciated...I'd love to keep him with me, but I need to modify some of the behavior so the other cats don't feel so terrified.

Thanks in advance-
Noni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:32 am 
Bengal Kitten

I have no idea why my previous post appeared three times...

Try a sock toy stuffed with batting and a little catnip-- something he can bite and scratch and take his aggression out on that isn't a) your hand or b) one of your other cats. Fishing pole toys would be good, too-- I found that the attachments with the leather strips worked much better than anything with feathers or fur, which my cats immediately shredded.

Mention this to the vet, though. He may calm down after he is neutered, but if not, he may need a mild dose of kitty Prozac or something like that to calm him down until he adjusts fully to his new surroundings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:20 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi, Sharon!

Thanks for the advice - I did get a few fishing pole toys, all with leather thingies. One for the bathroom, bedroom, living room, and one at my computer. Where ever I am, there is one nearby. All the cats love it, so I end up fishing with about 6 cats at a time. LOLOL! :oops: Makes me laugh.

I also got a few of those hanging-on-elastic-on-the-door-jamb toys, so he can chase those and leap after them to his heart's content. From door to door he throws himself, catching one, trying to catch the other at the same time in his mouth, and getting confuzzled when he loses one and gets the other.

I did get him neutered on Friday. He was fine while still under the influence...but the next day, blammo, back to running full tilt.

It will be all right, I suspect...I watched a kitty train go racing through the house last night for about 20 minutes...Oliver, Abby and Simon chasing and being chased by each other, leaping over each other to get to the front of the line. Reminds me of my 2/12 year old niece to whom the height of play is to run at you, scream "CHASE ME!!" and then turn and run as fast as possible. These three have a feline version of that, apparently. LOLOL!

And I watched Oliver get himself stuck on top of the curtain rod just now...about 8 foot long and maybe 2 inches wide, he walked across it, came to the far end, couldn't decide how to get back down, and then backed the entire way over the rod to the china hutch...and then do it again.

So I suspect we'll be fine. I love the idea of the sock with nip and batting...maybe I'll have a chance to get that done this weekend, and see what happens with that.

I appreciate your help, Sharon. Thanks.

Regards-
Noni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:30 am 
Bengal Kitten

I have read that Bengals are height lovers. I have heard that they love heights even more than previously thought. And I thought, well, maybe Oliver isn't too fond of heights.

HAH! He just bombed me. I had no idea he was on top of my 8.5 foot bookshelf sitting by my computer. No idea, that is, until he landed on my head. Apparently, it was more convenient to bomb me than to jump onto the sofa the other way. LOL. He was a gentle bomber, though. No claws...just silent flooooop onto my head.

Scared me silly. :D

Just thought I'd share that with you all. Now I understand why the other cats are often looking skyward in the house. ROFL!!

Best-
Noni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:51 pm 
Bengal Cat

It sounds as though he is definitely part Bengal, although from the markings and description, he definitely has something else going on.

Bengals are just a breed of cat, they share 80% of the same needs, traits and characterists of other breeds. Its that differential 20% that makes them fun and interesting (or a dealbreaker).

The hyperactivity will run its course, the cats will sort out their own pecking order. The snip might settle him a bit as well. Doesnt sound like you have anything abnormal to worry about, just be aware of WHAT might become a climbing opportunity and move the valuables!