[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - CONFUSED!!! Pls advise!!!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've posted on here previously for advice on introducing a kitten to 12month old bengal and the advice was pretty much unanimous - it could be done usually pretty easily.

Now I have a further question - What about introducing an 18month old male bengal to a 12 month male bengal? Both neutered. The reason I'm most concerned is because I've read posts on here regarding territorial issues and cats males vying for 'top cat' position. I've tried googling for advice, but Bengals are unique in that they have such strong personalities. I don't want to take this commitment lightly, it would be unfair upon both the cats and the last thing I'd want is for there to be issues that I should/could have foreseen and by neglecting to do so, cause unnecessary upset to the cats.

Zebedee is very laid back, a big softie, and spoilt to bits by my OH and I. We have no children so he is our baby. I have never ever had a single issue with his behaviour, he's never shown aggression, peed where he shouldn't have or generally caused any reason for concern. He truly is a little angel. I know he would love a playmate so we reserved an Abyssinian kitten who would have been available in a few weeks but the breeder has just suggested she may want to keep the kitten for herself, in which case, since I'd already prepared my home for the addition, I thought an older bengal may be a good option?

Has anyone any advice in this area, i know many of you are breeders and so will have plenty of experience and good advice. Please please let me know what you think. I love the idea of another bengal boy to spoil and love and spent all night dreaming of two boys running mad around the house but before doing anything I just want to make sure i'm being responsible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

hi there, i think it's a lovely idea to get him a friend. as he's so laid back hopefully he will accept the newcomer. i think in these circumstances it is down to the individual personalities of the cats, but it's so difficult to say as he's always been an only boy & never had to share his love from his humans.

would it be possible to home the other cat on a trial period at first to see how it goes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:32 pm 
Senior Bengal

bundles of bengals suggestion of homing the other cat on a trial basis is your best option of possible. There is no way to predict how they will interact regardless of personalities.

That said of they are both fixed I would expect them to get along just fine ... maybe immediately ...maybe later ... maybe much later but sooner or later. Not very helpful eh? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

I suppose you have to consider them as introducing one adult male to another.

My neutered ex-stud cat, loves everyone, introduce newcomers, girls, boys, kittens, no problem.
BUT
My neutered male moggie, he hates the sight of. Very serious tussling, fur flying and scratching with both of them sporting scabs the next day.
My moggie loves everyone as well, apart from....

Suffice to say they are kept separate as far as humanly possible but sometimes they get past me.
I cannot ever imagine them getting along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had a female cat for 16 yrs, when she was approx 12yrs old we took in a stray, the stray was very docile and got one well with us, she even got on with the male stray we had, after a short time the male died, and the fighting got bad between the females, we tried to keep them apart.

The way you can do it is to get a seperate room prepared for the newcomer and occasionally put him in a cat carrier and introduce him to the other cat, and vice versa, see how they both react. or you can just basically let them in together from day one and see how they do.

good luck with the union.

Hestia Gone but not forgotten, RIP sweet princess.
Zeus Gone but not forgotten, RIP big fella, our Nookie bear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for all your advice. The owner's said she's quite happy with the trial period suggestion - naturally she's anxious to make sure her cat settles in happily and if not she'll take him back, which is altogether the most sensible solution for both the cats and us.

Just wondering, how can you tell between cats when there ARE an issues? When my sister's male cat (unfixed) is around Zebedee, he terrorises him. The looks he shoots him are evil!!! The last time, he attacked poor Zeb so ferociously there were clumps of white fur (Zebedee's) all over the carpet and my OH was incandescent with rage - more out of shock and fear that Zeb may have been seriously hurt. It shook Zebedee up pretty badly and for hours he was withdrawn and subdued. I felt SO guilty. With my mum's female (spayed) cat though, Zebedee is just his ordinary mischievious self. There isnt any aggression, just lots of chasing, occasional growling but then they happily curl up together to sleep. Yet they dont see each other any more than Zebedee sees Meko (my sis's cat).

Is the aggression because Meko's unneutered? We initially assumed it was because they were both male, and so I always assumed 1 of each sex was better than two boys....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:31 pm 
Senior Bengal

An entire male will try to take over, nature of the beast so to speak.

Two neutered males can get on, it is worth the try. Sorry ladies but females are the worst pairing, particularly if one or both are not speyed; I don't think any breeder will disagree.

One potential issue is that if one of the cats doesn't like the situation he may go walkabout, so be prepared to keep doors closed at least for a while.

Gerry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would keep them separate for about two hours..
let the newby sniff around the room of your choice, then once he is a little settled place him in a pen/cage ( like a large dog crate is good..for a while so your other cat can come and see him..they will hiss for a while..
you can gradually put the feed bowls next to each other ( one in the cage & one out )
for about a week or two, they will probably hate each other.. but at least while your all together they cant damage one another.. they will start sniffing each other and maybe you could use a cat toy so they play together -
It maybe an idea to trim their claws while they are asleep too.. save inflicting damage on each other...
once they look a little more settled, let them together.. but keep a close eye on the pair of them..

they 'should' be fairly settled after 3 wks... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:00 pm 
Senior Bengal

Why can't you just get an older(fixed) girl bengal? Do you have a preference for the males? The mix might be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:45 pm 
Senior Bengal

well good luck with your search. I hope you find a new friend soon. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:07 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all, with regard to Dexter, I've been in touch with his breeder who has offered to help me find a suitable home. Which is very kind of her. So watch this space. He may be in a loving 'forever home' soon.

I'll be so sad to see him go :-( but happy if I know it's the right place for him.

Hollis