[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - UK to USA (NJ) move... transport company recommendations?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Dear all

Our two girls do not know it yet but... we are moving from London to the US (very) soon.
I have looked through the forums and I have found one recommendation for a US based company, but I would be grateful for any other recommendations that you have and if you could share your personal experience of moving your fur babies to the US (or in general - what to do / what to avoid) that would be fantastic.
I have also looked at the list provided in https://www.ipata.org/ but I am looking for more personal references :-)

Many many thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You might send a message to Tinny, she did that move a few years back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, welcome to the USA. Are you asking about moving companies for your family or just a company that can help with the bengals? If you're looking for help with the paperwork for your bengals, my recommendation would be to contact some of the UK breeders who export to the US. I'm sure they would be happy to recommend the company they use. The one thing you want to make sure is that all the paperwork is done and correctly or your bengal is confiscated by US Fish and Wildlife. You will have to have a certified pedigree showing no ALCs in the pedigree or any of the Gogees cats who were flagged by USFW back in the day. I have an entire list of them if you have pedigrees for me to view. I can let you know. They have confiscated several bengals for not having the proper CITES license to come in (the owners claimed the paperwork was correct). Nobody knows what happens to them. You also want to make sure the state you're going to allows bengals. 99% of them do, but there are still municipalities and counties that will not allow a bengal of any generation. http://www.hybridlaw.com should be able to help you.

Are you flying to the US with your bengals?

Information from the USFW: Do I need a permit to import or export my domestic cat? You do not need a permit from us to import or export most domestic cats (Felis domesticus). Domestic Bengal cats, however, are hybrids of the domestic cat and the leopard cat (Prionailurus (=Felis) bengalensis). They are regulated by CITES and require a CITES permit. If importing a Bengal cat into the United States, contact the foreign country to get a CITES permit. If exporting a Bengal cat from the United States, click here for an application form. You must import or export your pet Bengal cat through a designated port unless you have received a port exception permit. You must notify the FWS wildlife inspection office at the port of entry or exit at least 48 hours in advance, present our declaration form to the wildlife inspectors, and receive clearance from us prior to export or at the time of entry. Click here for information on commercially importing or exporting wildlife. Contact the Center for Disease Control to meet its requirements.

As long as the i's are dotted and t's are crossed, you should be okay. My honest suggestion is think about the worst scenario and hope for the best scenario. You could marsh right straight through with no problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Dear both, many thanks! I had checked Tinny's post actually, that's the only one where there was a recommendation so the company she mentioned is now on my list of "to do" (and have another recommendation from the breeder too).
This is just for the cats to be carried professionally as I know these two travel badly (one of them will lose her voice from screaming throughout the whole trip, the other one will become a 2D flat cat in the corner of the box trembling... breaks my heart)

Sherry, many thanks for the comprehensive answer which has been super-useful too, we are moving to NJ so thankfully it seems there are no issues there with hybrids (while this would be an issue several miles up the road!). One of the reasons why we want a professional company seasoned in moving pets is exactly because of the paperwork etc, so as not to put our foot in it ourselves. I'd rather spend money in this thank risk it. I will pm you copies of the pedigrees, you may also wish to add these to the comprehensive database you have too.

There are still little things on the cards like pondering whether to put them both together in a crate - they may hate each other even more for the rest of their days - and how to go about water since these two only drink from running taps, little princesses that they are. Getting vaccinations ready and I guess they'll need a manicure too!

All the best
Iria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Please tell me these cats are not going into a cargo hold! I have horror stories posted in my database. Paradise Apple Yuki Of Summit (was going to Summit Bengals as a new queen) was killed because a dog traveling in the hold not only chewed through its crate, but chewed through the kitten's crate and killed the cat. How does one prevent this? The breeder shipping used a standard carrier. I can only imagine how terrified it must be for animals in a dark, cold, scary place for several hours. I probably would not place them in a carrier together. You would not want them jostling into each other if there were turbulence.

I see many pictures of kittens waiting in their crates at the airport and they have bottles of water available. If the cat is thirsty enough. they will drink .... and if they don't drink, they should survive the trip. You are probably not going to have to travel far from your destination airport to your new home. I'd recommend that you get some type of calming medication from your vet -- however .... you will not be able to check on the cats during the trip and there could be complications. This is why cats should travel WITH you if they can. A howling cat can be a problem. However ..... if the cat is with you and has taken a tranquilizer, you can at least monitor the cat. And, if they travel with you and they are small enough to fit in one carrier that goes under the seat, it may be better for you and the cats.

Moving is a huge undertaking and moving with pets internationally, even more so. I wish you much luck as you embark on a new life in the States. I pray everything goes smoothly and you all arrive here safely.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I second the idea of traveling with the cats in separate underseat carriers tranquilized. And do a test run of the tranquilizer before the big day. Check with your airline ASAP as they limit the number of animals that can fly in the cabin of any flight. At least that is the case for flights within the US. I am not sure about International flights.

To keep them hydrated under any circumstance. you might consider administering Lactated Ringer's subcutaneously before the trip. Super hydrate them. It helps ailing cats and should help proactively hydrate cats for a long trip.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks all! I am still trying to fit several things together for the move and may not be able to bring them with me in the cabin (one human / two cats... hummmm....), but yes, I am becoming aware of the risks of cargo, although I may have to end up crossing fingers and putting them in the cargo. I have checked also "pet friendly" airlines in the IPATA website, there are so many restrictions otherwise... ah well, I need to keep researching so do please keep the advice coming and any past experiences, really really grateful for this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One human. Two seats. Hmmm.

I would seriously consider buying two seats. You would have a more comfortable flight and peace of mind that your fur babies are right where you can see them.

And maybe bring extra ear plugs for those around you as a good will gesture!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ouch, one person, two cats. If they could fit in ONE carrier under the seat, that would be perfect. I'm sure a second international ticket would cost a fortune. However, if the cats are aware that YOU are there, it may be a much more pleasant trip. You might want to consider flying in off peak hours where the plane may not be full.

ColoVega has a great idea about subq fluids, but ... when it comes to giving them, the cats pee a lot more so that may be an issue. You want to make sure you have a lining in the carrier in case the cats do pee or poop. When cats are stressed, they can do this easily. Not their fault -- they are traumatized. And my DSH and Raiden both have pooped in their carriers on trips to or from the vet and it is not a great odor to enjoy for any length of time. Thus, you will have to bring baggies and paper towels or napkins and kitty wipes to make sure things stay clean. Thus, I would line the carrier with multiple pads, so you can easily take a soiled one up and have a clean one underneath.

This is a challenge, for sure. Know that cats do arrive okay in cargo but it would be so much better if you could have them with you. Airlines do restrict the number of animals allowed, unless they are service animals. Plan ahead is about all you can do.

If only driving across the pond were an option ..... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm editing because I also want to mention that flying them in the cargo hold means arriving with all the luggage and baggage handlers are not careful about handling suitcases. I'm sure they don't care much about carriers with live pets. The carrier should have LIVE ANIMAL plastered all over it. Not that it would make a single difference to someone who wants to manhandle them. And the carrier doors should be double secured because cats can open them if they have enough time and energy. Thus, another reason for keeping them with you. They will arrive and get off the plane with you. You will not have to wait for them to come down a conveyor belt. If I had to consider moving abroad, I would probably not do it because of my cats. I'm sure, though, once you arrive safely and get settled, this will just be a blip on the memory card.