[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Upcoming Furbaby Leo!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Upcoming Furbaby Leo!
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hey everyone!

After months of researching I have finally put my deposit down on this wonderful little Snow Bengal Leo! It's a little hard to tell how contrasting he's going to be since the pictures seem to change drastically depending on the lighting, and I don't really now how these kind of colorations mature. He's finally going to be 12 weeks of age on June 8th, and I just cant wait to bring him home!

If anyone has any suggestions for Bengal proofing a home, or just general tips, I would be delighted to hear it hehe.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Leo looks adorable!

I am not sure it is possible to totally Bengal proof a home. :biggrin: But lots of toys and play time can help channel the high energy of a Bengal.

I think Bengals like climbing trees and high places more than other cats, so cat trees and high places for them to explore are a must.
Toys like Dabird and other cat fishing toys, and Bergan Turbo Cat scratchers can help keep them occupied.

Do get him chipped and get a collar ID tag, because they are intelligent and insanely curious and can figure out how to open doors or slip out when you are not looking. Don't keep anything breakable or entertaining in kitchen and bathroom cupboards.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:39 am 
Bengal Cat

He's so cute!! And yay, June 8th isn't that long away! (Though I bet it feels like forever.) I just got my kittens a few days ago, after almost two months of waiting for them to grow up. I was amazed, because my snow mink boy looked so light in all the pictures I saw, but he actually darker in person.

Mine are still in their intro-room, so I don't know how effective what I did was... but one thing I did was to child-proof the cabinets, especially where I put the trash. I also got some storage furniture and started moving the majority of free-range items (like on shelves, etc) into the storage which will be away from what they can get, so that they don't mess with it/knock it off the shelf/etc. I got bitter yuck to go on cords, and will be removing most of the chargers (especially the Apple charging cords) either to my room (which I keep blocked off because I have asthma and need a cat-free zone to sleep in) or got cord cables. I figure I will probably need to do more, but at this point, I'll wait and see what they get into...

I've also got cat trees that go up high, so they can jump up. I got extra litter boxes and cat beds. And lots of toys, especially interactive ones.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum and congratulations on your upcoming baby boy, Leo. Definitely catify your home. At least one tall cat tree -- and more if you have room and the money. Lots of wand toys -- that's a bengals 'favorite. Lots of playtime to wear him out so he doesn't want to get into any trouble.

As for bengal-proofing your home -- get on your hands and knees and scout around. Make sure any openings are closed (behind furniture or TVs, electronics, etc. Some bengals love to chew wires, so keep an eye on those. Phone charging cords can be especially attractive. Definitely get him microchipped and register the microchip. You have no idea how many chips are never registered.

As he gets older, you may want to add things that allow him to view out windows (window beds are great). You also may think about catios or cat enclosures if you have the space and money. Bengals do love to be outside, but they need to be safe.

Lastly, Leo is a stunning boy! He should get darker as he gets older. Oh ... and enjoy all of his adventures. Bengals are not like any other cat you've ever owned.

We are here to support you and answer any questions.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas! I bought the tallest, and most durable cat tree I could find, so hopefully that helps him feel like he can survey his domain, and I bought a DaBird and kickaroos and all sorts of other toys in preparation. Im also planning on getting a small drinking fountain to help keep the little guy hydrated from all his playing.

I'm going to for sure get him microchipped, I would be devastated if he got out, but at least that would be some protection for getting him back.

Thats a fantastic idea to crawl around and figure out all the danger spots so I'll be sure to do that.

I really want to socialize him well, I mean, the breeder has been doing it at her place, but I want to continue with it to make sure he's happy and confident. Does anyone have any suggestions for that?

I would also love to walk him on a leash, but Im not so sure if it would be me walking him, or just following him around lol.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Socialization comes from bonding and spending quality time with your cat and getting him used to other people that may come around your home. Breeders generally do a good job but you continue the process.

You would not want to walk your kitten until he gets older. The key is allowing him to get used to wearing a harness around the house. I take my bengal on two walks a day (unfortunately, the rain yesterday afternoon squashed that walk). He literally leads me around and stops every five seconds. He smells everything, sprays the bushes (he was an outdoor cat the first six years of his life). It was nice in the beginning when I limited him to our yard and mostly sitting on the ground. Now we walk about 6 to 8 blocks each walk and I carry a large towel with me in case he just wants to stop and rest. Gives me something to sit on.

However, if I had gotten a kitten, I probably would have settled for just a catio or enclosure. Raiden has one of those on our deck as well. We are heading into summer and I don't enjoy the afternoon walks in 90 degree temps, even going out as the sun goes down. He wants to walk when it is 10 degrees out in the winter time.

Just know that once you start walks -- you are on the hook for them daily or multiple times a day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:07 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hmm... I never thought about that aspect, that's a really good point. I dont currently have room for a catio though either, would it almost be best to at least as a kitten get him used to a harness just in case I change my mind in the future? I heard if they aren't really exposed to something as a kitten that they won't like it later on?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have had Quasar in a harness from the day I brought him home, at 13 weeks of age.
Once the harness is on, he doesn't even recognize that it's there.

If he thinks we're going on a road trip, he will still attempt to hide under the bed. However, if he thinks I'm taking him outside for a walk, he runs to the door and waits to have the harness applied.

I'm all for imprinting at an early age.

We had Quasar outside in large public gatherings about 2 weeks after we got him, due to the hot air balloon festivals that we participated in. He went to large public gatherings every 2 or 3 weekends for the first 4 years of his life. Now, such events are less frequent for him, as we are no longer flying balloons.

He still tolerates going on hikes while we're camping, or even attending the occasional mountain man rendezvous, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't enjoy those much. He really loves children, though, possibly due to an early, intensive exposure at aforementioned hot air balloon festivals.

Good luck! Enjoy your kitty.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden's previous owner tried to harness train him when he was a kitten and it didn't take. Six years later, I put a harness on him and he was fine. As long as the kitten gets used to the harness inside your home before taking him out the door. Walking your kitty

They do make portable enclosures if you want your kitty to experience the outside without the walk. Many are easily folded to not take up much room when not in use. While I can unsupervised Raiden in his permanent enclosure, I would never leave a cat unsupervised in a portable one. I'm not sure how secure they are attached to the ground.

The outdoor world can be daunting the first few times they are outside, but once they get used to it, they are going to demand to be outside.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am trying to harness train Oberon at age 10. It is a struggle to get the harness on him so far.

I am adjusting my strategy a bit. The cats have a low window they love to look out of a with a tree, bushes, bunny rabbits and we just added some bird feeders. We call that "Cat TV". I started taking Luna out on a harness and have Oberon watch her on "Cat TV" from inside the house.

Luna is very easy going and will do anything without a struggle. I am hoping Oberon learns from her example, and more easily accepts a harness because he wants what she has got.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Would you attempt to take both Luna and Oberion out at the same time? I have a hard enough time handling Raiden. I could not imagine taking two cats out at the same time. :biggrin: :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

>> Would you attempt to take both Luna and Oberion out at the same time?

Was not my plan. Luna is happy with everything, so my plan is to try to enrich Oberon's world with walks. If she starts begging for walks I might alternate them.

I dunno. I suppose that they might talk me into taking them both out at the same time. They can be pretty persuasive.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I walk two cats, too, but my DSH just follows us without a leash! It is the funniest thing. He followed us today and does most days. Comes back in the house with us. I know I couldn't handle two of them on leashes, that's for sure. They both go in opposite directions and Raiden crosses the street a hundred times.