It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Neutering
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:53 pm 
Hi All,

My boys are now about 5 months old and I need to start thinking about that important trip to the vets. My question is - do people generally just get to the 6 month date and then book their non-breeding boys in or are there obvious signs that it's time to go? I wonder if there's any benefit to waiting a month or so longer (as long as they're not spraying!!) - would this have an effect on their final size for example? I had read somewhere that if you can delay you end up with larger adults - but this could just be a rumour....

At the moment I can't imagine taking them to the vets in only a few weeks as they both still seem so kitten-ish!

Also - what sort of price is average for this op? Only asking our vet seems a tad expensive - but that could be as I'm only used to paying for bunny vaccinations, claw trims etc!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:06 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:18 pm
Posts: 257
Location: surrey, uk
Hi Teresa,

Diego is also now 5 months, the advise ive had from my vet is to wait until
he has lost his canine teeth, and the new ones have started to appear, the
vet said this is to do with hormones and a sign of going in to the adult phase.
As for cost im not sure with boys, Tia cost £35. I hope this helps :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:01 pm 
AAGH! How will you be able to tell about the canine teeth? I posted a question about teething a while ago as B&E seem to want to chew hard objects all the time recently (amongst many other things LOL) but I don't know how on earth I'd tell if they were actually getting their adult teeth.....

Thanks for the useful info though :D

Teresa


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:42 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:29 pm
Posts: 1151
Location: Scotland
Hi Teresa,

My vet's policy is he will not neuter until the boys are 6 months. Lubo is that age now and Lenny and Loki are just turning 5 months. In terms of their teeth I made an astonishing discovery - last week both Lenny and Loki had double sets of canines - it looked really bizarre!!! The baby teeth have fallen out now and I actually found one on the floor. :D

Cost - for 3 - neuter and microchipping - I've been quoted around 160 pounds (gulp)

_________________
www.supernova-bengals.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:13 pm 
Hmm...checking mouths for teeth - sounds quite brave to me!! Can't imagine keeping mine still long enough to examine them......


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:12 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:29 am
Posts: 471
Location: Blackpool
Hi
Had my baby boy (Ken) done today. He is 6 months old and it cost me £24 squid + vat. Nurses said he was a noisy sod lol but i think we all know that.
Hes doing fine and was ready for his tea when he got home xx

_________________
Tracey


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:13 am 
Hi Tracey,

I can only imagine how noisy one of my boys is going to be - he definitely likes the sounds of his own voice :-)

It's good to know that the op doesn't sound too traumatic though (although very little seems to come between a Bengal and their food bowl in my experience...)

Have you got any pictures of Ken? (great name by the way!)

Best wishes

Teresa


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:13 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:58 pm
Posts: 258
Location: london
hi

as everyone else has said between 6-8months.
early neutering could be an option before this time but there is a lot of debate weather this should be done because some say said cat doesn't reach its full potential especially in males.
some breeders do opt for the early option so they know there lines stay protected.
personally i would wait for as near to 8 mnths as possible in a boy

regards

fg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:58 pm 
Hi,

I definitely wouldn't neuter them before 6 months and if possible I would delay a bit longer to make sure it doesn't affect their growth and development - I'm just worried about them spraying! That's why I wondered if there were any other signs that it's time for them to visit the vets apart from spraying.

Anyway I don't need to worry just yet!

Teresa


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:26 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:29 am
Posts: 471
Location: Blackpool
Hi Teresa

Yes i have pics of him but im struggling to get them on here. Can you help?

Had Ken done at 6 months because he was showing a lot of interest in my little girl and after a chat with the vet he adviced that it was for the best and as i didnt want kittens i had my girl done as well.
They are both fine and still causing havoc.

_________________
Tracey


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:16 am 
Hi Tracey,

I used Hostwire -

http://image-hosting.hostwire.com/free- ... g/join.php.

It was quite easy to add images and then to use one on the forum copy the BB code (this will make sense when you've added your pictures!) and paste it into a message on the Gallery section.

Hope that helps,

Teresa x


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pixel_the_bengal and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey