[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Lost his mind
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost his mind
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:13 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi All

I have been reading all your forums and I'm so glad to have this site.. I have two issues with my Zazu, Male Bengal which he is a year and a half. Recently he has been attacking me, It started with him coming after my legs and hanging on, He likes to chase me sometimes which I know is play but then it turns pretty aggressive. Yesterday he was up on my bathroom counter and he likes to sit on my should, So I usually hold the back of his back to make sure he doesn't fall when I move from one room to another, I let him down easy on the bed, He jumped from the bed to the floor. I turned around(Back facing him) Next thing I knew he jumped on my back, Both paws around my neck and face in the back of my head(Like some kind of spider monkey and if it wasn't for a thick robe, well I'd look like Freddy Kruger got a hold of my back and face) since his paw swiped the side of my ear and cheek, He seems to be doing this more often and did it again this morning when I was making the bed but this time he came after my feet, I turned his attention to a toy, But this catches me off guard and frankly scares me a little( He has some claws, Which I know I can clip his nails) Not sure where this is coming from. Previously he has been around my grand kids for his first year, He also had been let out several times and now is being house broken again. I moved over a month ago and he has adapted to his new place and he has lots of toys. One thing I will say, He likes to sit on the screened patio and recently this stray has been testing his limits and teasing him, Like I have never seen him puff up and pace like a race car, Could this cat be his demise?? How do I get him to focus back on his life without being teased by some ally cat..

Lastly,
When he eats, He eats out of a bowl and tends to chew pieces and wants and drops the rest on the floor, Almost like eating off the bone and leaving the fat on it. Could it be to hard for his teeth or is he just a picky eater, He cleans his plate but drops little pieces here and there around his bowl and refuses to eat it....

Thanks for reading and the advice to come :wink:

Post subject: Re: Lost his mind
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Part of what is going on is that a year and a half old is still a kitten. At some point in the next six months he will enter adulthood.

Another part of this is it sounds like he could benefit from a playmate. If you've ever wanted another cat, now is the time!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

You are confusing him. One moment, him sitting on your shoulder is a fun, friendly activity, and then he wants to get back up there and do it some more, and suddenly it's an "attack". If you do want him up there, you have to make it more clear to him what is acceptable and what is not. Every no has to have a yes behind it.

I recall one member that used to hang out here had a bengal about as big as she was (slight exaggeration). She worked out a way to signal him, with outstretched hand motion, at which he would leap into her arms. Fun trick. Bet she had some scratches to show for it though, lol.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My Oscar does exactly the same when eating. He takes it off the plate, drops it on the floor and then eats it. I should really just put his food on the floor to start with :rolleyes: With regard to the play aggression. He is a young cat still. Make sure if he goes too far you issue a loud and sharp no. Then you must ignore him. Whatever you do, don't play after he has done this as he may think this behaviour gets him more play. You need to up the play with toys he can 'kill' - flying frenzy, kong kikaroo etc, to diffuse the engergy. He needs his hunting instincts met and your ankles are meeting that need at the moment. The issue is with bengals is that they play harder than your normal moggie. They are more muscular and have bigger claws, which all adds up to scratches if you don't set boundaries. You need to look for his body language and the trigger areas in your house. If he is looking fiesty and the pupils are dilating, you need to diffuse his behaviour with play before it turns to inappropriate 'play aggression'. I always know when I have not met Oscar's play and hunting needs as he will hide under the chair in the hall and chase me up the stairs and rugby tackle my ankles. I end up with bleeding scratches but it's totally my fault as I have not met his play and hunting needs. Bengals are high maintenance cats! Good luck with your kitty!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think one of the biggest issues here is the stray cat. Cats do not like other cats coming into their own territory. It changes their behavior. I'm not saying this is affecting the way the cat attacks or jumps on you. That is never okay. I also don't agree that a playmate is the solution. It can only complicate things -- he doesn't like the stray hanging around, he probably would not want another cat hanging around.

That being said, it is always best to keenly observe your cat and if you feel he is ready to do something, redirect his attention to a toy. You should be spending a lot of time engaging him in play and wearing out his energy. While it is cute to have a cat on your shoulder, it can lead to the cat wanting to climb up you to get there. It is easy to each the word "no" to a cat. They don't always obey, but they do know what it means.

As for the eating issue, all cats seem to be different. Mine likes to pick up the food from the bowl and them back up and chew on it -- which leads to food on the floor. I have the messiest eating bengal in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:55 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for your posts and advice. As for a playmate, No way not right now, Plus I agree if he is not liking that other cat that strays around then I'm pretty sure he will have an issue right now with a play mate...I know he has hunter instinct in him when he was in an out doors prior to me moving, He brought me several mice, lizards and a snake... Yes a snake. He is pretty fast and on his game. Yesterday there was no attacking, Although I was giving him love and noticed his eyes changing and the minute I stopped he went after my legs...

Any suggestions as a litter he can use that doesn't leave paw prints all over my counters and walls??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The only litter that doesn't do that are pellets, which many cats do not like. Your other solution may be to get a higher sided litter box. That what I finally got for my cat. Many cats do not like enclosed boxes. And there are mats you can buy to put in front to catch the litter from the paws as they exit.

If you can find a way to keep the stray away from the vicinity of your home, that would be great. Jackson Galaxy likes sight blockers, but that could mean closing up looking out your windows. Also, your cat can smell this other cat when he is outside. So even blocking the sight might not help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Boodie dome! It's enclosed but not confining. Some models even have stairs.