It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Early on, I took Bella to the vet to have her examined because of her diarrhea. The first vet declared that she couldn't handle Bella, whose "wild side" came out in force - snarling, growling, hissing, clawing. I took her to a second vet service and they had to straitjacket her to take her temperature and blood.

A cat behaviorist said Bella was frightened, which was why she acted as she did. I found that totally understandable. But it's unclear how to proceed for her annual exam -- and by the way: should I have her examined once a year? Twice a year?

I do have a vet who will come to the house. He examined Bella for fleas when she first arrived (it turned out that we had bedbugs transported by a visitor who had them in his NYC apartment; we've gotten rid of them), took her temperature, with no savagery from Bella. So perhaps the answer is to always have her examined by this vet?

Finally:Do all Bengals become so aggressive?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My Raiden is very well behaved at the vet, except for the last four visits when he injured his shoulder and the vet was manipulating it to see what was wrong and it hurt! Normally, Raiden sits still for his shots and exam. There are vets who refuse to see any hybrids because they can be aggressive. Raiden's vet also cares for Savannah kitties.

A cat needs an annual checkup. Outside of that, Bella should only need a vet if there is a medical situation. A mobile vet is a great thing. And I mentioned that in a previous post. If that works out ... then by all means continue with it on an annual basis. No cat enjoys the vet's office. It comes with smells of other cats and dogs, along with all the barking sounds. That definitely stresses out a cat! I would do the mobile vet thing but our vet is 2 miles down the road.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for all this. "Dr. Jeff," as I call him, is a terrific vet and I'll heed your advice. It's super-expensive in NY to have the vet come to your house. But certainly worth it if one can afford it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I forget you are in the city. Probably costs a fortune for Dr. Jeff to find a place to park. You are lucky to have a mobile vet there. However, it should only be once a year ... so not too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My critters put up a huge fight over being put into their carriers, but once they get to the vet, perfect angels. :rolleyes:

I recently switched vets due to the fact that they do boarding, but also discovered that my cats love the new vet and their techs. There is a trend to 'fear free' vet services. The cats sit on a couch with me instead of using a table and they actually let the vet give them their shots without any issues whatever. It's a real change from having to put a cone on one of them.