It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Post cat spaying
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:37 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all,

Yesterday I got my 2nd bengal, Leyla, a girl of 5 months old to be a companion of Peter hopefully. She was spayed 3 days ago and had the collar, she managed to take it off, and remove some of the sutures. Then the breeder took her back to the vet to have the sutures re-done, and this time they put a 'vest' medical pet shirt. My question is when can i remove this vest from her please as obviously she is not liking it apart from the heat. Apart from that she is doing fine, eating, drinking. Still she haven't gone to the litter yet. I still did not introduce them to each other, only some scent changing for the time being.

Thank you

James
Malta

Post subject: Re: Post cat spaying
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

James, congratulations on your new baby. However, the introduction to Pete should not have taken place until your little gal had her stitches out. She's already STRESSED out with everything that has gone on -- surgery, leaving the breeder, coming into a new home with a new cat smell. It can be overwhelming. I know it takes patience to keep these two apart, but this little lady does not need any additional stress right now. She needs to heal from the surgery. The onesies that they now use -- is easier on them than the cone. And it may be hot and uncomfortable, but the stitches need to be left alone until the incision heals. Plain and simple. Personally, I would have asked the breeder to keep her for another week -- only so that you didn't have to deal with all of this.

However, she is now with you and she has met Pete, so things are what they are. She needs to be monitored as much as possible and she needs to be as cool as possible. Tile and wood floors are cooler than carpet. If you don't have air conditioning, then a fan would help. Know that this is just for several days.

As for using the litter box, it is very common for a new kitty to not use the litters for 48 hours or so. It's the stress causing this. Be patient -- she will use it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:25 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks. No they are still not introduced to one another, not for now :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I saw your other post where you said she is still in her safe room! How is the "sock" coming along with her wearing it. Has she gotten used to it? The stitches have to stay in how long? Maybe a couple of weeks. I know you will be happy when you are all one big family --together! Hope Pete is prepared for a cute little sister.

Please keeps us posted on how things go.