It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:32 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everybody out there need any help to stop my little Prince Rocco peeing on our sofa. We had an old sofa that our previous bengal did a few times spray on. Last week we noticed that our boy was peeing on it. So we got rid of it quick and purchased a second hand leather one from ebay thinking he could still smell the scent of our previous cat. It was only in the lounge a few hours when he peed on it whilst we were out the room! he has been doing this daily, He has been checked at the vets recently with a clean bill of health. We purchased Extreme odour spray from vets and have cleaned and cleaned and then sprayed. Have a feliway spray. He is a F2 bengal and has some very weird toileting issues. He uses a tray but has a potty that he uses for his number twos. He wees in water bowls. Anyone out there that can give me some advise please. He is not a sociable bengal either. Thanks Jan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Jan. Welcome to our forum. Usually the reason for a cat going outside of the litter box is stress, since you've eliminated anything medical. Something has changed in your kitty's world. I always suggest putting a litter box next to the area he is using. What you need to do is make the sofa unattractive to him. I know this is an aggravating situation, but it takes you to help him stop this issue. There are motion-sensor air canisters that you can purchase online. Unfortunately, if YOU want to sit on the sofa, it is going to go off, but it can be a good deterrent for when you are not there -- I'm sure he doesn't pee on it when you are sitting on it. That doesn't mean your kitty won't find another area.

Do you know if there are any cats roaming around the outside of your home? Your cat can sense and smell them even if you can't -- and peeing and spraying are marking territory from any other cat, even though the cat is outside -- that cat may be spraying around the perimeter of your home.

There is a wealth of information online about this and how others have dealt with the situation. This isn't something that can be fixed overnight. You want to make sure your home is catified as much as possible -- cat trees, cat toys, cat beds, and as many litter boxes as you need.

I find it odd that your bengal is not social. Most are quite social and love human interaction and have to be in the same room you are (mine is about 5 feet away from me at the moment). You might also try using Feliway or some other "calming" oil or device.

The other interesting thing is that you purchased a used sofa that may have the smell of another cat on it. A cat's sense of smell is 14 times stronger than ours, so ... you probably can't smell 1/100th of what your cat can.

In the end, redirecting your cat to a litter box takes time and patience. Punishing a cat or yelling at the cat does nothing but scare the cat. There is definitely something going on in his world -- and once that is fixed, the whole peeing issue will be fixed as well.