It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Anesthesia for Bengals
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:40 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Flash needs to be neutered. I've read that Bengals are very sensitive to the anesthesia that will be used for the procedure.
Ketamine is not good.
Isoflurane can be used with a pre-anesthetic and propofol for a spay.
Is this true and should I ask my vet about this also?
Flash also has a slight heart murmur. Is it safe for him to go through this procedure?

Thanks for any replies.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was trying to go back through my vet receipts to see what they use. I believe it is Isoflurane because I remember asking them about Ketamine a couple of years ago. My bengal has a grade 3 heart murmur and has undergone anesthesia for two dental cleanings and an ultrasound and has been fine. Naturally, he comes home a little woozy, but is fine by the next morning. Your boy will be monitored constantly, and he really should be fine. Neutering does not take a long time, however, I doubt they use any less of the anesthesia. I'm sure if cats were able to tolerate these procedures without being sedated, the vets would prefer that. But, that's not the case. Most definitely, discuss any concerns with your vet and ask all the questions you want. That's what a pet owner is supposed to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The way it was explained to me is that if a hybrid cat has serval blood this can create issues with many medications that Bengals do not have. Some Bengals do have Serval in them, so you may want to check on that.