It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:18 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Eleanor has been with me a week now and I have been on a steep learning curve as I've always had dogs up to now. She is very beautiful and I hope I have posted some pics with this (all taken by her former owner). I didn't feel up to having a kitten which is why I chose her - she belonged to a breeder and has had 3 litters in her four and a half years.

I was cautious at first as to how sociable she would be if she had spent much of her life in a cattery but saw her with the family in the home and she was very playful and relaxed, plus they knew all her favourite toys and games and funny little ways. But still I would value the opinion of other more experienced owners on how she might respond to a "normal" life now with just one person. She is still a bit shy but less so, eats well, uses the litter box and plays in the evening but so far not too forthcoming with affection.

She also seems to differ in some ways from "typical" Bengals. She hasn't shown much interest in water and doesn't climb up high - the back of the settee seems to be her limit. I've had the door open with the heat but she hasn't attempted to go out - possibly because I have a fly screen of hanging chains. She has only purred a couple of times and seems more self-reliant than other Bengals and is reluctant to be stroked, maybe because she has had limited human contact? Or perhaps it's just her personality? Really all I am doing is leaving it up to her and going at her pace because I think that's the only way to gain her trust.

Anyway, that's Eleanor and if I have made what seem like silly statements about Bengals please forgive my ignorance. She is so lovely and I am determined to do my best for her.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a stunning lady you have in Eleanor. It sounds to me like you are doing everything right. She will come out of her shell eventually, I have no doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome. Eleanor is gorgeous! Know that not all bengals have all the bengal traits. Mine has no interest in water besides drinking it, but he does love his cat tree and I think Eleanor would love one as well. Give her time to settle in. Thank you for taking her in.