[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Hi Everyone! Introducing myself and my pretty kitten Cleo
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:34 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi there! Wanted to introduce myself and my cat(who thinks she's a dog) Cleo! I'm recently separated after 20 years of marriage (a good thing) to someone who was highly allergic to cats. My kids and I are all mildly allergic, but my old neighbor had a bengal that never bothered me and my two teens, and I've wanted a cat forever, so go big or go home, right? Cleo is awesome but I'm convinced I got a puppy who just looks like a kitten by mistake; she has literally copy-carted my 12 year old mini schnauzers whole range of tricks (dance, sit, up, paw, fetch), she begs like the dogs, is harnessed and leash trained already, hops into her harness when I bring it out and mews like someone killed santa and all his elves when the dog goes for a walk and I don't take her (can't do both simultaneously; -- I walk the dog whereas Cleo walks me, stops, climbs whatever, jumps, and gets super silly). What a character these cats are! Haven't had a cat since I was a kid, but I remember them being aloof and independent; not this one for sure! Anyway, here's some pictures -- lol I'm so out of touch with cat owning that I didn't even know there was a registry until the breeder emailed me the Tica link -- I found Cleo on Hoobly. She is purebred, but from an unplanned litter (dad is a white bengal with spots and blue eyes and mom is a really pretty gold glitter with cool spots that have different colors). Cleo here is silver with arrow spots that go from black to lighter gray that is darker than her base coat. Her papers say black-brown spotted tabby, but she's more silver than brown. Love her! Watching her and the dog play together is so funny! Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and my kitty and learn more about the breed. I'm attaching some pics -- she was born on march 10 and I've had her for about two months.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome! Love to see how Cleo is so friendly with the dog, she's really cute... Bengals are a handful, but that's such a joy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. Cleo is stunning! Yes, some bengals are more like dogs than cats and, as you have discovered, they are nothing like your regular cats. She will bring you on many adventures throughout her life. Congratulations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:41 am 
Bengal Kitten

IMG_0073.JPGThank you everyone! I was hoping someone could explain bengal colors a bit... I'm attaching a photo of cleos parents; she was not a planned litter, but I'm curious why she's sparkly silver when mom was good and dad was white (seal point lynx)? I don't really want to pay Tica's genetic history fee, but I'm thinking somewhere on both sides there was a silver cat?

Another kitty puppy photo because awwww :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:43 am 
Bengal Kitten

Whoops wrong photo. Cleos mom and dad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If Cleo's parents are registered with TICA and have pedigreed names, I can check the pedigree for you -- as long as they are in my database of bengal cats. I just need the pedigreed names of the parents. I don't list the type of bengal (snow, brown spotted, mink, sepia) but I can access a couple of other databases that may have more information.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cleo and her friend are adorable! You will look forward to many years of love and fun with them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:51 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you Sherry!

Cleopatra Selene SBT 030617 009 (my kittie)

SBT 112413 011 LORD SPARTICUS - dad
SBT 080213 064 LADY ISIS - mom

As you put as you can see I kept the naming scheme

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Do you happen to know the prefix or suffix of the cattery name? I don't have either cat in my database and have researched their TICA numbers and can't find anything. Know there are about 135,000 TICA registered bengals and I only have 44,200 in my database. I find new kitties every day .. but many are nowhere online.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:06 pm 
Bengal Kitten

The Cattery is Beauty Lane and they are a new Cattery. I do know that one of her paternal lines is from golden dots out of California and they have a few silvers that look a little like Cleo. She would be considered silver (a shiny one -- why is it so hard to photograph the glitters?), according to my vet (who keeps bengals). Her rosettes are small now but opening up (she has a lot of little arrowheads and a few paw prints -- no donuts that I can see at least not yet), and there is no gold in them. She only has a touch of gold behind both her ears where the fur is very thin. I thought maybe because dad is a seal lynx point and mom a gold glitter there are some crazy genetics happening. I really am curious-- I have no plans to breed her (already have her spay scheduled) and I picked her for personality, not color or looks, but the breeder thought her color would warm up. Instead, the spots are getting darker and the silver base coat is getting lighter. Since you are keeping a database, and I bought her from a newer breeder, i'll send you the genetic history so you can add it to your db. I'm going to order it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:43 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Err I meant to say 'spots of gold' is in her heritage (I think? Going by part of the number of her sire's registration number?) Just looking up the first part of the sire's SBT number.

Also, should I order the three generation or the five generation? I'm thinking the three generation should be sufficient, but I don't know?

Lastly, she barked at a fly yesterday. Barked! Like a dog! I'm telling you, I have a dog here, not a cat, despite the way she looks. Maybe I should check the AKC, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have 39 SpotsOfGold cats in my DB. Having a certified TICA 5-generation pedigree -- or even the 3 generation one can help. New catteries come up every day as old ones leave the breeding program. I'm now going back and adding birthdates to the cats as these other databases are eliminating information and I want to have it. For example, the percentage of ALC blood is now gone, although I took the info for my cat, which is 13.77%. I would be able to tell you the ALC that is the shortest link to your kitty.

The three generation may have enough information to find the F generation of your baby. I would need to have at least the great grandparents in my database or be able to research them. A 5-generation will show 62 cats. A three-generation pedigree will have only 14. It's a personal decision as they cost money. It usually takes about 3 weeks to get the pedigree (Raiden's was laminated or some reason). The pedigree will also state the type of cat. I just checked one next to me and they show a blue mink, seal, and mink spotted tabby although most are brown (black) spotted.

Just let me know if you do decide to get something.

My bengal will make almost like a spitting sound when he spots a bug. You will learn that bengals are sometimes crazy! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:02 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone,

Been looking around the internet and I think I may have a glitter blue bengal? U read somewhere that you need a silver parent to make a silver, so maybe Cleo is blue but just looks silver? What do you think?

--julir

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

In order to have a "blue" bengal, there usually has to be a "blue" somewhere in the pedigree. Here is some information from Foothills Felines:

There is quite a bit of controversy within the Bengal community as to the breeding value of the blue Bengals. Many long time Bengal breeders know that when working with a recessive color gene such as the blue gene, once it is incorporated in a breeding program, it is a difficult and lengthy process (sometimes almost impossible) to then try to eliminate the gene from showing up in future generations. As young kittens, blue Bengals will most often have a color best described as "battleship grey", especially in the tail tips and markings on the foreheads. Blue Bengals will have gold to green eyes as adults, with the gold eyes seemingly more dominant in the blue Bengals than the green eyes. Blue Bengals can also show a soft peach undercoat, and often have a special softness and elegance to them creating their own unique style. The way the blue color gene works (and "blue" is considered a dilute color form of the traditional "brown" tabby color), there can be blue spotted and marbled Bengals; blue lynxpoint spotted and marbled Bengals; blue mink spotted and marbled Bengals, blue sepia spotted and marbled Bengals, etc. (Foothill Felines wishes to thank Gene Ducote of Gogees and the Lifetime Bengal Breed Advisor for The International Bengal Cat Society for her valuable contributions regarding the history and genetics of the blue Bengal.)