[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - First Bengal Kitten, a few questions!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:09 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi guys!

First time poster, long time browser! I am soon to get my first bengal kitten, he's not old enough yet but will hopefully be taking him home mid June after his vet checks and jabs!

To say I am excited about my fur baby would be a understatement! :mrgreen:

I am a long term cat owner, as well as my partner, but this will be our first kitten. He has been brought up around moggies and me around pedigree Persians, so we have looked after a wide variety of cats! However, this will be our first bengal. I have done LOADS of research, I am aware that they require a lot of attention and can be little terrors at time! I have already started bengal proofing our home.

I do have a few questions to ask, I want to get everything right!

1. We both work shifts, however one of us is at home the majority of the time. Sometimes he will be left alone for up to 10 hours, but only once or twice a week at maximum. Will he be okay? I know that getting 2 kittens would be ideal, however there is no chance of that happening due to restrictions in our contract with our landlord! I am planning to leave out lots of toys and also set up a camera so I can see what he gets up to when we are out, am I right in guessing that he will be asleep the majority of the time we are out?
2. I was thinking of buying a hammock to stick on our back door so he can see outside into the garden. However, we have 3 or 4 local cats who like to roam our garden. Will this stress him out? I note that this can cause a cat to spray due to being unable to protect his territory, and the last thing I want is to cause him unnecessary upset :sad:
3. I know that Bengals are playful, exciting and full of energy. I also know they are very affectionate however are not lap cats. I do not expect my little man to want to sit on my lap, however would love it if he sat near my head/feet/legs of an evening. What are the chances of this happening?
4. He will be an indoor cat due to living near a very busy main road and opposite a school. What are the chances of him running away in the summer when the back door into the garden is open? Will I be able to open windows? How desperate will he be to get out?

Thanks everyone for reading my very long post! I have attached some photos of my little man.

We are thinking of calling him Link but are still debating his pedigree name (I'm thinking Lord Lincoln Fontegue :biggrin:)

Take care everyone.

Emma

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome! I love the full name... Lord Lincoln! Stop scratching the furniture! Sir, please!

In any case... On to the questions. I'm sure Link will survive the couple of days as long as you leave toys around. We spent a whole week together with the new arrivals the first time they got home so as to bond. We got the cameras too and yup, they sleep most of the time.

The first week with them was essential for bonding. One is a lap cat - mostly with me, but she'd go with anyone I swear! She hates being picked up. The other is ok bring v picked up but she's not as cuddly. She will however join us in any room we are at and sit nearby. He may even sleep with you soon enough. Just lots of bonding and time together.

Ours are indoor cats. We tried the harness and one hates the outdoors (yay) the other is ok-ish in the garden - on the leash, supervised. They seem not that fused with the outside world so no issue there​... However, the garden door needs to be shut or used with caution and windows can only be opened a smidge... One tried to have a go at freedom so I've learn my lesson.

Local cats... Who knows. We have three local visitors and see no problem, however, during a period of stress where one of ours sprayed, we put up a curtain on one of the windows to avoid them seeing the other cats. Can't say whether this was a factor in the recovery.

Hope little lordy mittens joins you soon and we can have more pics !
Xx Iria

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Emma. Welcome to the forum! Your baby is stunning. Congratulations. As for your questions:

1. Once your baby settles in, he should be fine! The key is the stress from being separated from mom and siblings and going to a new home with new people and new smells. But, cats get used to a routine and should be fine in being left alone for 10 hours. I would suggest keeping him in a smaller room with food, water, litter box and cat bed. Know that kittens can get into anything and everything and you will need to bengal proof your home. Get down on your hands and knees and see from his viewpoint. Make sure all openings are closed up as they can get into some thing and not be able to get back out.

2. You are going to have to cat proof your garden, if possible! Bengal cats, especially males, are highly territorial and, yes, even a neutered bengal will spray to compete with other cats who come around. Note that your kitty doesn't have to actually SEE these other cats. He can smell them. I suggest you get a window perch and not a hammock that will attach to your glass door. You want a little more support than that and you definitely don't want him tumbling down.

3. Whether a bengal is a lap cat or cuddly totally depends on the cat and the amount of socialization and bonding that goes on. Mine is not a snuggler, although he will sleep at my feet at night. The only time he was a lap cat was when he was trying to win me over to become his owner! After that ... forget it. There are many snuggling bengals, but it really depends on the cat.

4. Oh, cats love to be outdoors. Many, many cats run to the door and want to get out. And many, many cats go missing daily due to sneaking out. I have one of those and if we need to bring groceries in, I have to shut him in our bedroom as the doors open and close many times. Mine does get two walks a day on a harness and leash and has a large outdoor enclosure on our deck. Once your cat smells the outdoors, that is where he will want to be. I suggest a couple of things -- make sure he is microchipped and register the information. Have him wear an ID collar. Collars tell people the cat has a home. Know that the most dangerous thing for your cat is for him to be stolen. How many people have seen a leopard? If your kitty is friendly, he may go with anyone and even if he is not, I can befriend a cat in a few minutes. Cats can open screens and one even hopped out a window that wasn't open very far. Bengals are highly intelligent. Mine can open doors that open inward or outward. The key is to be diligent in knowing where your cat is at all times and making sure he is not around the door when it is open. If you are planning on leaving a door open, I would suggest a portable enclosure and put him in it (either in your home or outside).

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:39 am 
Senior Bengal

I think the affection/sitting near you part is in part dependant on your cat and also how you bond with it, as has been said.
I have spent the first week with my new baby doing everything i thought would help for us to bond in a manner that meant she would want cuddles, she wasnt forced just encouraged.
I think you'll agree from the picture that it went well for us!! She also sleeps on the bed between my partner and i at night

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:51 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you everyone for your replies. 5 days to go until we get the fluffball! I really appreciate you all taking your time to reply to me. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hassaan has the most spoiled kitty, Snickers!!! She has him wrapped around her little paw, right, Hassaan? LOL.

Can't wait for you to bring your little guy home, so you can post lots of pictures for us to enjoy!