[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Is this a bengal kitten?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this a bengal kitten?
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:22 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi I'm pretty new here! After doing tons of research I've decided to finally get a bengal! This one breede r who is not TICA registered has bengals for a good price. I'm aware that she may be considered a backyard breeder, but after talking to other owners who got their bengals from her have nothing better to say about the health and temperament. With that being said I planned to go with her. They were born on April 4th 2017 and she said I'd be able to pick him up the first week of June. Is that too early? Should I wait another week or two? Lastly I just wanted to know if you think he might be mixed and not purebred because his rosettes aren't open? Thank you so much! (First time cat owner) Below I've attatched pictures of the little guy!

https://m.imgur.com/a/HkEOI

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. Based on your pictures, your kitty is a bengal. The fuzzies have set in but they will leave in a few weeks and he will be beautiful. The only thing that stands out to me is the breeder plans to let you have this kitty between 8 and 9 weeks, which is really too early. Most "breeders" don't let their bengal kittens go until 12 weeks, but it costs money to keep them any longer, so many just want them gone so they can breed the female again. I wonder what the reason is this breeder is not a member of TICA. It's not an expensive membership, however, you do have to agree to their Code of Ethics, and that may be the problem.

I'm going to say something here about "mixed" bengals. ALL bengals are mixed! There are very very few
"purebred" bengals. Only an ALC with another breed of cat (a domestic shorthaired cat or Egyptian Mau) create a bengal. Then, the only "purebreds" are a bengal-to-bengal mating all the way down the pedigree, which is almost impossible except in EG's. Pedigrees are littered with Abyssinians, Ocicats, Sables, Burmese (same thing as Sable), Ruddy's (same as Abc's), Bristols, American Shorthairs, more Mau's. Thus, we all seem to have a bengal mix! The only difference is many bengals can be registered based on the parents' pedigrees.

From what I see in the pictures, you definitely have a bengal kitty! I would ask the breeder to wait until 12 weeks to release him. However, if she refuses, get him out of there and start the bonding process.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had a cat that was Bengal plus orange classic tabby, so I refer to him as a 'Bengal mix'. Some might use the term 'Bengal cross' instead.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Shawng - if the backyard breeder is willing to let her go at 8 weeks please walk away.

You might think that by giving her a loving home you are helping this kitten, and that is true, but you will be enabling the breeder to continue kicking more kittens out of the door without much care for their well-being. Kittens should stay with their mum for at least 12 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The sad thing is this little baby needs a loving home and when a BYB is saddled with a cat that nobody wants, they don't care what type of home it gets -- they just want to get rid of it. They get more desperate as time goes on. I don't know that I could walk away from something like this. It's not the kitten's fault. It's the breeder's.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:02 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the replies everyone! I contacted the breeder asking why she was letting them go so early and she said that 8-12 weeks is the best time. Waiting on her response, then planning on asking her if she would hold him for a little longer and allow him to bond with his mother. One of my fears is that everyone else who is getting kittens from her will take them at 8 weeks and then my little guy will be all alone without his litter mates!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:25 am 
Bengal Kitten

If you take him home at 8 weeks, he will still be all alone without his littermates. At least he would be with his mother. Ultimately, it's your decision, but the best thing for the kitten would be to remain with the mother until 12 weeks of age.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Shawng, what you've said is correct -- your little baby may be the last man standing. Your breeder is wrong! 8-1/2 weeks is optimal for regular domestic cats, not for a bengal. However, if your breeder will not hold him, pick him up and start caring for him. And NEVER deal with this breeder again. I'd love to know the name of this breeder in the hopes the other may stay away from her.