[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Being shamed for buying instead of "rescuing"
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:49 am 
Bengal Kitten

I was showing some pictures of my girls at work, and generally telling people about the Bengal breed. A woman I work with decided to let everyone know that she "doesn't believe in" buying pure breeds or supporting people who breed animals for profit. She claims that local shelters are just overflowing with unwanted animals that need good homes and most of the other arguments people have against pedigree pets. She did it in a sort of passive-aggressive way to make it sound like she was just sharing her personal views, and she, "knows that a rescue pet isn't for everyone." blah blah etc.

Until I got my girls all of my other cats were rescued in one way or another, a stray that ended up staying, a friend of a friend has kittens they're giving away, or someone moving to a new place that didn't allow pets. I have never had this conversation before even though I've heard it all before, so I had no idea what to say to her. Frankly, I didn't respond to her comments and don't feel like I need to justify my choice. Have any of you ever been in this discussion?

Funny side note, another person there made a comment along the lines of, there are tons of used cars out there being bought and sold every day, but if you have the money you'll still buy a new one. That horrible analogy that ended the conversation.

Brown rosetted females born days apart at the same cattery. They will always be sisters in spirit and always my babies.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It sounds like they are jealous and just wanting to bring down your excitement. I have bought from breeders and rescued cats. I don't have issues with either choice.

A girl in my office wants two female Russian blue kittens, but from a rescue. I sent her a link to a local breeder that has two now and one has the same name as her last cat! I thought it was kismet. But she said no, they want to rescue. It is unlikely she will find what she is looking for but wind up with an older gray cat that is not a Russian blue. If you want something specific and are planning for the next 18-20 years, a cat from a breeder will probably fit the bill.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I made a comment on a post yesterday about this subject and this may have caused you to create this topic. What type of cat you get is a personal choice! I love your car analogy. But, every cat needs a home, even if the cat is from a breeder. True, there are so many cat in shelters and rescues that need homes, but so does the kitten from the breeder. A cat is a cat! Nobody should shame or demean you just because you chose a bengal over a cat in a shelter. If they are so concerned, tell them they are welcome to go and pick out a dozen or so cats and adopt them!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There's a humitarian aspect when one rescues a pet from a shelter, we can't deny that. I highly respect and highly regard those who do. If one has a large house with a garden, it maybe a good choice to adopt a few from the shelter, but he/she won't be able to give each the same attention and affection. A better life for the rescued pets, yes but less bonding with the human. And that's why I keep saying to myself, I have only one extra room in my heart and time to share with one more pet, so choose carefully.

However, each breed has its own characteristics and that's what most seek when buying from a breeder. And I think hybrids are at the top of the list for certain characteristics. If pure bread Bengals were available in shelters I'd have adopted one instead of buying. Actually I'm actively looking for a Bengal for my sister in Boca Raton, FL but I couldn't find any Bengal in any nearby shelter for her. I contacted few shelters in other states through Pet Finder offering to cover the shipping cost of their rescued Bengal to my sister in Florida, 80% didn't respond and those who did declined.

My advice is to ignore your jealous coworker and tell her if she brings the subject up back again, "if I could find a Bengal in a shelter it'd have saved me money and time."

Enjoy your sweetheart... it's like becoming a new parent again. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I get this on some of sites I am a member of on Facebook, I just tell them it's up to me what I spend my money on and I don't tell them what they should be doing.
As long as my animals are loved and cared for that's all that counts.
Some people have nothing better to do than moan about other people, they need to get a life.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Most of the bengals go to bengal rescues. It is possible to find bengals at the shelters, It does happen. Good luck in finding your sister one.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yea, I run into that too. There are a lot of self-righteous people that are want to make you feel bad whenever possible. Yesterday it was a friend of mine getting shamed on Facebook because she was pushing recycling, because someone felt recycling wasn't going far enough :rolleyes:

I look at it like this: purebred cats are wonderful creatures and make wonderful pets. Moggies are great (I've had them most of my life), but the fact that there are breeders trying produce cats that are beautiful, healthy, well socialized, and have these quirky breed-specific personalities and behaviors definitely make the world a better place.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If no one bought pedigree cats, these beautiful breeds would disappear. And if you are looking for certain characteristics in your pet to suit your home and lifestyle, pedigree is the way to go.

People should live and let live.

I sponsor a pen at Cat Protection here in the U.K., it made me feel better that our two little horrors are spoilt rotten and I'm very aware there are other cats in need of good homes. But it was because I wanted to do it, not because some opinionated person guilt tripped me into trying to justify my choice of pet.

Don't let this person upset you when you should be enjoying the bonkers kitten stage!!

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Phew, it's a tough topic for any animal lover isn't it. I've always been a rescue advocate, but never begrudged anyone who wanted a pedigree. What I had an issue with is pet stores selling non pedigree animals at a profit etc. Naturally businesses need to make a living, but I didn't see the point in buying kittens at shopping malls when there were so many at shelters needing love.
When my stray rescue Harry (ginger DSH)who'd been with us for 9 years, died from cancer last year I went to a shelter and adopted a beautiful little ginger boy. His name was Beans and we were in love. He was only with us 5 weeks before he died from wet FIP. I was naturally distraught. My gorgeous parents called every shelter within 20 km and found a little ginger girl in an attempt to ease my pain. Solair was with us for 5 weeks before she died....from wet FIP also! What kind of hell was I being forced to endure!!
2 different vets assured me that there was zero possibility that she had picked it up from Beans, the timeline was wrong.
Really long story short, my husband basically said "No more shelter cats". He couldn't bare to see me so devastated. We'd lost 3 cats within 3 months and I was a mess.
Hence we have Max (ginger DSH rescued from a cardboard box on the side of the road) and Bryan (the pedigree Bengal I could never previously justify getting because there were too many rescues out there needing homes)
At the end of the day, we all have our stories and our reasons and others have no right to judge.

Ps: I've got a thing for ginger cats clearly :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

FIP is a horrible disease, however, it can fester in a cat for years before becoming active. It's never anything an owner has done. It's just the way the disease is. The odds of getting two in a row is probably high -- you just hit on THE two that were meant for your love and care for the short time they were with us.

I've adopted from shelters as well and it always warmed my heart to give a kitty a great home. I've taken care of more strays than I can count. I never asked for a bengal and didn't even know what a bengal was until Raiden appeared in my back yard. Another stray, I thought, until I discovered he lived four doors down and his owner let him roam the neighborhood. Now he has a home with me and his outside access is limited to a harness and leash or his enclosure on our deck. Unfortunately, this will be our last kitty! I am getting too old and a cat would outlive me, more than likely.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:45 am 
Bengal Kitten

first of all, omg i love the names.

i was shamed in a Facebook group for cat owners yesterday when i posted some pictures of my baby to introduce her and myself to the group.

In Austria, where I'm from, shelters are very nice places, and there are very few cats there, and pretty much never kittens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Goddess, you need to check out the Facebook pages for bengal owners. There are several and we love to see pictures and videos of everyone's kitties.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I did so yesterday and have received a very warm welcome into the first one i was accepted into.
the group the shaming came from was a group i was recommended in a different, non cat group when i posted some pictures of my baby.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:53 pm 
Bengal Kitten

its so annoying when people have to force their oppinions on to others! you should have asked the person if they have childrenof their own, because their are loads of children waiting to be fostered so why hasnt she?