It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Female in first heat!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:48 pm 
Bengal Kitten

We have a 7 month female bengal baby, named Sirsha( it's a name my daughter picked from an Irish story:)) she has gone into her first heat and wow is it intense!! We have her scheduled for spaying next week. Do bengal cats go through a more intense heat??as I have never heard such loud calling and unsettled behaviour. She has kept us awake now for 3 nights with insistent callings. She has always been a little vocal and a super sweetheart, loves the dog and always enjoys a good afternoon nap. Now, her voice is the loudest, deepest yowl we have ever heard. She is very lovey right now and does not want to play with any of her favourite toys, things that usually keep her occupied for long periods have zero interest! :sad: We are trying to be patient with her as we know it is not her fault she is annoying the crap out of her humans:), and her fellow older female house cat, who is super annoyed with her at the moment. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to how we can keep her occupied or comfortable until the big day? When she is yowling i can keep her happy giving her lots of affection and rubbing her backside. Is this helpful for her or should I resist the urge to give her attention. Seems like she hasn't slept much either:( any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've never had a female cat that wasn't spayed when I got her, so I don't know what to tell you. Bengals are super vocal and may be even more so in their first heat, however, the spaying should have been done prior to the first heat. Now she is sexually mature and could start spraying and marking around your home. Thankfully, you are getting her fixed, so this should be the one and only heat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My girl went into heat around 2 weeks after I got her, she was only around 16 weeks the vet said it was quite early so I hadn't set a a date for her to be spayed.
Boy was I in for a shock, the noise was unbearable and the pacing and posturing was something else.
I booked her in immediately to be spayed but had to wait nearly 2 weeks, she was still in heat when she went for her spay but my vet that wasn't a problem.
The difference was almost immediate after, no more screaming the house down and a good night's sleep for us.
I think it just seems louder with a bengal as they are more vocal.
We just gave Pearl lots of attention and my hubby would rub her back by her tail and she would put her bum in the air and seemed to be happy with that for a while, other than that it was grin and bare it unfortunately.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:53 am 
Bengal Kitten

Our bengal, Gracie from all the signs i have read about has not gone on heat yet. She is just 6 months old and we have her booked in in two weeks to be spayed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

A female can go into heat as early as four months and as late as 8 months. The average is 6 months, so hopefully, your Gracie will be fixed before she heads into that awful time for her. Instinct takes over in wanting to mate and calling for one will drive you crazy. Hope all goes well for you both.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:28 pm 
Bengal Kitten

We got our cat and she was in heat when we got her. No idea how old she was but we had no clue what was wrong with her. She had a bad tummy, she kept us up all night for ages and her howls were unbearable. We put up with it and only when we took her to the vets did we know she was in heat. We thought we'd been sold her because she was sick but in truth they probably wanted her gone ASAP because of the noise. Nonetheless we got her spayed immediately after her season. It will calm down, but immediate spaying is necessary because cats can go in to heat at any time - if a male is around it can trigger a heat.

Scary :redface:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Emilyy0, welcome to the forum!