[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - FIP diagnosis- should we find a new vet?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:06 am 
Bengal Kitten

Previous post in behaviour forum: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27890

Long story short our little man was a bit under the weather for a few days, went to vet bloods done, urology, xray all ok. Had to go back to vets anyway yesterday for something unrelated, vet spoke to us and told us that our little man is FIP positive from test they had done last week. She explained that 50% of cats have got it, only 1 in 10 suffer from it.

My Wife and I got home and researched this and it seems there is no definitive FIP test without biopsy, also taking the emotion away lets be blunt FIP is fatal. Does this sound like a case of FIP being 'used' in place of coronavirus diagnosis? I could see it would would work for the practise, scaremongering so any sign of illness you're straight up there as been made to feel like we've got a potential time bomb.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ah what a crap situation Duckegg.
I would get a second opinion.
I did massive amounts of research when I suspected FIP in my kitten, including speaking to a Veterinary Pathologist - it's the scientist in me, I couldn't let it go.
They really can't test specifically for FIP from a blood sample since it is a mutation of Coronavirus and the technology at the moment can't distinguish. Unless the vet did a biopsy to test for dry FIP, or took some fluid from the abdomen to test for wet FIP, they could not definitively diagnose FIP. Up to 80% of kittens (in high density populations such as shelters and catteries) can test positive for coronovirus, but only 3-5% go on to develop FIP.
Unfortunately I know all too well what physical symptoms a kitten with wet FIP presents with. I won't go in to that here, but please by all means PM me if you want to talk about it.
I don't want to give you false hope and testing is expensive, but if you really want to know for sure, go for a second opinion. Drawing fluid from the abdomen doesn't hurt kitty too much and actually gives them a little relief.
I've got everything crossed for you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Traceychops,

The more I read the less I understand! Maybe we're being naive but we've been told FIP positive, however only 1 in 10 will suffer from it, chances are he will live for 15 years or more and never have any ill effects (our vet's take on it). Which makes me think he isn't 'FIP positive' at all, he's just been in contact with the coronavirus, like most cats. I'm begining to think our vet (and possibly others reading stories on the web) bounds the term 'FIP' around meaning the virus or am I wrong?

I understand the wet / dry but from everything I read you're talking days to a few weeks and any other symptoms above being a bit under the weather for a few days and certainly not perking back up full of beans. Your situation is very sad, my wife lost a cat years ago to an unknown virus. Always tested negative for FIP but in the end vet thought it was. Typical, went to put a film on last night but decided to watch a vet program first that was part way through, cat got taken in and it was wet FIP... bit too close to the bone at the moment! :sad:

The breeder is less than impressed with our vet and has spoken to her vet who thinks that ours is nuts, they also think they mean he's been in contact with the coronavirus from everything that's been said. If this is the case then I think I'm going to start to understand why people drive for miles just to get to a decent vet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would definitely try another vet. Try a veterinarian with several in the practice. My vet has four other vets and they consult with each other. So, don't hit the single vet practice -- try a larger one. I thought I remembered FIP was connected with the corona virus. I believe the virus can be dormant and everything be fine. However, when it raises its bad little head, things can go crazy! I do know the vast majority of cats who test positive for wet FIP go downhill very fast. The fluid builds up around their lungs, abdomen and the organs simply cannot work properly without draining the fluid constantly. Dry FIP I am not that familiar with (I'm familiar with the wet only because my niece recently had to put her cat down who had the wet).

If you happen to live in a small town, go to a larger city and find a vet there. But, I definitely would get another opinion. It is difficult to put your baby through a miriad of tests to find out something. My niece wondered whether she should do it, but I told her in the end, her Houdini would not improve and have a better life. Tough decisions to make. Every day needs to be extra special for your little guy. {{{HUGS}}}

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Definitely take K2 to a different vet.
If it was wet FIP K2 wouldn't be perking up. It's been 10 days since your first post regarding lethargy and he would be going more downhill by now.
Both of mine who died from wet FIP showed exactly the same symptoms as each other. (Months apart and never lived here together - both shelter rescues at different times)
It started with lethargy, after a bout of diarrhoea, then noticed a "rough" coat - not rough to touch, just generally not pristine like cats keep themselves. Progressively they went off their food, would act hungry and be looking for food, but then just wouldn't eat it. Tummy got bigger, looking like a kitten that had just had a massive feed, but the rest of the body got skinnier and skinnier to the point where I could feel the spine and hip bones when patting them. Eventually I could hear the laboured breathing and they just showed no interest in anything other than snuggling - I think for comfort as both of them seemed to know they weren't long for this world. This all happened over the course of about 2 - 3 weeks from when I first noticed the lethargy.
I'm suspecting you're correct in your thinking that the vet is calling a positive Coronovirus result as FIP.
All FIP has come from Coronovirus, but not all Coronovirus is FIP.
Please keep us informed. Here to support you in any way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:49 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the replies! Our vet has got a good reputation but reading further in to it the comments all revolve around how friendly and helpful they are. For me that is standard, what do people expect?! It is a 'chain' as well and everyone there is very young, straight out of Uni young.

He seems fine, Wife and I had a chat last night and decided to find another vet. We also don't believe it's FIP and he's just tested positive for the virus, which I expect if all cats were tested there would be even more with it than the 50% they suggested. We're going to pop up and see his breeder soon just for a friendly chat and to see the little ones.. she's brilliant!

It's been a massive, emotional learning curve and to hear the stories of FIP on here, especially in such youngsters is so sad! I don't know what I'd do if he went in such a cruel way!
One thing our vet did get right is anyone who finds any kind of cure will be very, very rich!

He's sleepy past 2 days with his pain killers but his foot is starting to look better after his fight so should be back to normal soon. I'll pop some photo's up when I get a chance.

Thank you all again for support and advice!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Good to hear mate. Optimistic for you. Hope his foot heals well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We want you to keep us updated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Don't want to be a stalker, but how's your fur baby?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:34 pm 
Bengal Kitten

To be fair you're stalking K2 not me so it's all good :wink: and I really, and I mean REALLY appreciate the concern from both of you..

So we moved house! Stressful, it was far from straightforward... that's another story. Our little man stayed with family with other cats which stressed him a bit. I got some behaviour spray, might be a placebo but that and me popping in to see him a couple of times on moving day definitely calmed him.

New house, a lot bigger and he seemed to settle quicker than we did. Started crying (screaming) to go out today so had a little run round in the garden this evening.. he seems happier here. Something bad (other than the sore foot) definitely happened at the last place.

Overall healthy and completely nuts, seeing his breeder on holiday Monday... kittens, might get broody :biggrin:

Got a few vets in mind to check out going forward. Will post up pics soon!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Outstanding news. I'm so glad he's bounced back. Phew.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hopefully, everyone will get settled into the new house and you can proceed with getting a second opinion. Thanks for the update. You don't know how much we appreciate it.