[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Getting a brother and sister bengal pair soon!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hello everyone!

So I am not new to owning cats, but I am to owning bengals. After a TON of research, and it being only a few weeks before they come home I decided to join the forum :biggrin: I have a few questions if anyone could help me out I would really appreciate some story telling and advice!! Their names are Raava and Vaatu, not sure if anyone has seen Avatar: the last airbender or The Legend of Korra, but that's where their exotic names come from :cool: :cool: They are also littermates, bother and sister.

My fiance and I chose this breed because of their high energy, and my love of cats! However he has never had cats and has been very worried about them marking. I do not feel cats mark for no reason, but I'm wondering if anyone has been in my situation before?

So, we are going to be bringing them home in mid May of 2017, but moving to a new home in July. I am worried about them peeing outside of the box due to the stress of a new home, and then another new home only a month later. We have new carpeting in both, and can't risk them causing damage to our current place before we leave. But I think this will be good for them moving into the new place as there should not be any other pet scents! I bought the litter robot for them but am thinking it may be easier to use a regular litter box and the same litter they have from the breeder.. at least until we move into the new home... thoughts?

I want to make the transitions as easy as possible, and have purchased the calming spray. I'm thinking it may also be worth it to add the plug in for both the moves. However, I didn't want to use all the spray and such if in the end they will be fine! :redface: :eek: I have read that once you use the plug ins, when you take it away it could make them behave differently. Has anyone had that happen?

Lastly, I have 2 trees for them but given the move, I am thinking of holding off on setting them up. Do you think they will be okay with a ton of toys/scratching post and us playing with them often? I do not want them to be so bored they tear into the carpet or couches! All in all, any ideas on how to make that month easiest for me, but the most calming and fun for them would be much appreciated!

I love reading everyone's' posts and advice, so very happy to finally be apart of the Bengal kitty community! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum and congratulations on your upcoming arrivals. I am hoping the breeder has your kittens spayed and neutered before you get them. This is a HUGE help in preventing them from marking (females can mark as well). And, if you keep them indoors where "territory" isn't marked by other cats.

Please let up the cat trees now. Bengals love to climb and need that. Trees are easily assembled and easily unassembled.

As for the calming spray and diffuser. I have the Feliway Diffuser in our bedroom because my male bengal (who was neutered at 12 weeks but his previous owner allowed him to roam free outdoors) marks around our bed. This has not completely stopped it, unfortunately! But he does this rarely.

Your kitties will be stressed out simply by leaving their mom. Having siblings, they will be used to each other and each other's smell already, so that shouldn't be an issue. But coming to a new home, with new smells and new people could cause them to be completely stressed out -- and then you move again.

Does anyone know how to move if you have a cat? The BEST way is the clear out one room completely, put the cats and carriers in there with food, water and litter box and nobody opens that door until all exterior doors are closed. Reverse the situation when you move to the new house. Either make the cats the last thing you bring over or put them into a spare room with food, water, litter box and nobody opens that door until the furniture has been moved in and all exterior doors are closed. I can't tell you the number of cats that go missing because "we were moving and she got out the open door." One person even moved the cat with the couch and it was two days before she found the cat after going back to the old home looking for her.

Make sure you have enough litter boxes. You need a minimum of two and preferably three. If your home is especially large or you have multi levels, add more. These little feet have a ways to go to relieve themselves and sometimes they just don't have the bladder control yet. They may have accidents if you overplay with them as well. Remember, they are young and new to all of this, so please have patience and make it easy for them to find a litter box.

You will want a ton of scratching posts. There should be posts on the cat trees, but having extras all around will really help save your furniture. Cats are drawn to any surface that they can scratch. People have been resourceful and added scratchers on the wall for cats. Mine uses cheap scratchers that we get from Walmar but will also use the legs of the trees. He does not scratch our furniture.

Most of all, you need to just enjoy the experience of owning bengals. They are not for the faint of heart and they will not be like any other cat you have ever owned. The members of this forum are wonderful about suggesting and answering questions. We are here if you need our help.

Oh ... and it is mandatory that you post pictures either in Introductions or the Gallery. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:47 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thank you so much for your information! Any suggestions on the best amount of time to keep them in their own room?
Also, the breeder is not spaying or neutering them... I have a vet appointment for the 2 days after I pick them up and plan to schedule it as soon as possible. Thinking that should be fine?? It will be at 14 weeks already though, so I will need to make it a priority!

They are F3, is there anything I should be aware of specifically?

Has anyone had experiences moving with bengals shortly after bringing them home?? I am so worried I will over stress them :sad:

Here are our two beauties:

Raava.PNG

Vaatu.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:34 am 
Bengal Cat

Also, Wondering how soon bengal parents have gone back to work after getting them... or if people take off at all? I plan to take 3 days off to spend ample time with them either way, but wasn't sure if I should have a friend check in on them for a week or so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:38 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh my goodness, how gorgeous are they!!!!
I can't give you any tips on F3's, but I concur with Sherry about getting the trees up for them.
My advice, for what it's worth, is to chill out and don't overthink it. You sound as if you want the absolute best for your babies which is awesome, but kittens (as do most animals) pick up on stress from their humans. Relax and enjoy.
I had to go to work the very next day after picking up Bryan and the poor wee man did look a bit sad when I got home, but he was fine after a minute or two. It's great that you have the first 3 days at home with them. Once you go back to work, don't forget they'll have each other for company and if they're in a safe room they shouldn't get too overwhelmed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They may hide from you for a few days in their safe room. I went to work the day after I got my two and turns out they needed a few days of being the only ones in the house before they felt confident enough to be around me and wander through the house. They were used to being in a cage so they didn't know what to do with all that freedom, but quickly adapted and became wild and crazy kitties soon welcoming me at the door when I came home from work. Congratulations, your kittens look beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:13 pm 
Bengal Cat

TraceyChops, you hit the nail on the head, I do want the best for sure but I am probably overthinking it :lol: :eek:

Thank you so much for your reply, as well as CMYKjill... you have helped me feel MUCH better about the transition. Both moves, they will have their own room :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

LOL. I do think that many new bengal owners overthink everything. But, it's like having a human baby. New parents are the same way.

Having them neutered at 14 weeks is fine. The key is before they become sexually mature. That's when all the instincts kick in, so taking care of the should help a lot.

As for how long they should stay in their room? If you have a one bedroom home and it's small, it's not usually a problem. However, the kitties will be stressed and a huge home with all these rooms is going to stress them out even more. A safe room is so they decompress. Sometimes it can take 24 hours. Sometimes it can take longer. They will have each other to play with. You will know when they seem confident enough to not want to hide and get away from you. Naturally, you will play with them and spend time in there with them. The bonding needs to start immediately, however, the kittens will determine how fast this happens. You'll know when it's time to let them roam free -- and feel free to carry them out into another room and let them explore a little. It's not like you need to have them locked up in a cage. Just make sure you have another litter box close by for them.

As for going to work. Many have taken a few days off. Your kittens will amuse each other and sleep! And they must be in their safe room to avoid getting into something they shouldn't. That room needs to be bengal proofed at all costs.

Now ... to the F3's. Your babies are gorgeous, but you have early generation bengals. The amount of the ALC blood in them will be a lot higher than an F9. And EG's can have a higher percentage of issues, including litter box accidents. They may behave a little wilder as well. You should have known this when you decided to get them. Know as well that in many areas, you cannot have anything under an F4 without a special permit and some places, they are banned all together! I hope you inquired about that as well. Every state is different. Counties as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:20 pm 
Bengal Cat

Sherry, thank you for all of the insight! Also my question about the f3's was more for tips from owners who have them. I'm well aware of what it means :wink: Their safe rooms, both at the apartment and new home will only contain their things! Super bengal proofed! :lol:
One of the rooms at the new place is also going to be a play room for them forever!! Spoiled little kitties :redface:

Luckily, I have been able to visit with them 2 times before pick up, so they are semi familiar with our scent. We also bought a cuddle toy and made sure it smells like us, I'll be dropping that off with them on our last visit just a few weeks before we take them home. I'm hoping that will not only get them used to our scent a little but when we bring it home, it will smell like their other siblings and mom.
Cranberry, thanks for the tip, I am able to leave a few hours early on the days I work that first week... so, glad about that!!

If anyone has any general tips/advice on owning siblings/boy & girl pair please post!! I can use all the help I can get :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tabitha can give you tips on owning siblings. She has gone through a lot with her Jagger and Hendrix. It sounds as if you are doing everything you need to be doing. I'm sure getting two of them, they will get used to things much quicker. That being said ... oh my gosh, the wild adventures coming up! I am way up there in age and can't handle the energy of a 10-year old F9. He runs circles around me.