[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - not taking interest in play time anymore
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:33 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone. I apologize if this is long or all over the place, not very good at explaining things haha.

I've had my Bengal, Nani, since she was old enough to leave her breeder. She just turned two in March.
As a kitten she loved to play, to the point where she'd wear herself out chasing toys all around the house. Kitten energy!
About 7 months ago (maybe longer?) she stopped wanting to get active during play time. She'll run behind a piece of furniture and jump out to pounce on toys, but she won't chase them around or really get active at all like she used to. At first I figured she was getting bored of her toy, so I went out and got her some new ones, but she does the same thing with them all - trots around from the sofa.. to the table.. to the cat tree and waits to pounce when I jiggle it nearby. As soon as she catches it, she lets go and walks off to another spot to pounce from. No real physical activity at all. After a few weeks of her doing this I thought this was just her preferred method of playing, so I set up a blanket over her cat tree for her to hide behind and jump out from. She loves this! But she's still not getting much exercise doing so.

I think it's worth mentioning that around the same time this started happening I also introduced a kitten, Dumpy, into the family. There were no problems at all between them, and they still get along very well. I noticed that Dumpy's way of playing is very aggressive. He jumps around and chases all the toys, and when the two are engaged in play time together he always jumps in front of her and pounces on toys before she gets a chance to. When they first started playing together, they would often end up colliding with each other because one would be chasing the toy and the other would try to jump in. I think this might be what started her strange behavior towards playing.
After seeing her get frustrated being unable to actually catch anything with Dumpy around, I started playing with them in separate rooms and it seems to help, but even while Dumpy is not around she still seems disinterested in play time. I even got a toy that only Nani gets to play with, just in case Dumpy's scent was making her feel iffy about playing.

I take her for a good 30-45 minute walk every day as long as the weather is nice, and at night Nani and Dumpy will run around the house playing with each other, but that's the only activity she gets outside of a few sessions of half-heartedly pouncing on toys.

I was just wondering if this type of behavior is normal? Is there a good method of playing with toys that will help stimulate her into chasing something or running around a little more? I'm perfectly fine continuing to let her hunt and pounce on her toys, I'm just worried she's not getting enough daily exercise, especially for a Bengal.

I've taken her to the vet twice since this all started and she's perfectly healthy, so I don't think she's in pain or has an illness.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum! Know that every cat is different. The majority of bengals love to engage in playing activity all the time. My bengal is 10 years old and gets played with in the evenings and even then he's not very aggressive at chasing things. His previous owner never played with him. In your situation, it's possible the problem is your other kitty who is being aggressive in playing with her. Know that kitties need confidence -- and having another cat behave that way can strip away at the other cat's confidence. Taking her on walks is good and she gets a lot of exercise that way (mine gets two walks a day). As long as she is healthy, I don't know that I would be overly concerned. I would try to find interactive toys that might stimulate her interest. My bengal isn't interested in much of anything unless I swish the end of the wand on the carpet. He will chase the cat dancer for a few minutes. However, a neighbor's cat will come into my house, march over to Raiden's toy box, pull out a toy and start playing on his own. Raiden never does that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:56 am 
Bengal Kitten

I've got a separate post about our cats behavior and unrelated to your situation, however when I was 'testing' his energy levels I went for the laser pen! Yet to find a cat that doesn't chase one, admittedly if used every day he'd probably lose interest but when I get it out he chases it like mad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

We have two, Echo and Ishka, Ishka takes over every single bit of play, and of late, Echo just withdraws as her sister doesn't give her any space to play. Echo used to be the one flying to play but it seems her sister is way too needy :-) We use Da Bird toys, if we use a new one Echo will play for sure! however, she loses interest soon enough (expensive cat). Echo has a wheel and uses it (but only when my boyfriend is around), so basically she seems to have become quite particular about how she plays, who with and how... At least the two cats chase each other from time to time.
Not sure if that helps, but we are assuming she is perhaps becoming more chilled with age or has lost patience with her sister and is depressed :-( (hope not!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oscar just totally ignores a laser pen, it does nothing for him. He does not chase toys either. He chases ankles on the stairs but thats a different story. What totally does it for him is wand toys under rugs, tunnels etc. He will play like this for hours. We have flying frenzy but it is not used as it's meant to be used. Instead, he waits by the rug for the wand to peep out. He almost explodes with anticipation and pounces when he sees the tip of the wand!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Mine has gotten used to the laser and the fact that he can never catch it. So it's one swoop and that's it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:13 pm 
Senior Bengal

Mine hardly plays with anything that involves humans. Not interested really in da bird, lasers or anything that involves you playing with her.. you take da bird out and she just stares at it.. you throw her something and she doesn't even blink.. she simply prefers to play by herself, chasing whatever she is chasing.. I try to leave different things around the house for her, springs, balls etc and she only plays when she wants and with what she wants... and she does like climbing up and down thing (including humans, that's the only interaction I get with her and that's a painful one to say the least, lol), but again on her own terms.. suppose it makes it easier on us, but some cats just have different ways of entertaining themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Spring has brought flying bugs and Raiden LOVES to try and catch them. If he does, he eats them! Hopefully, they have a lot of protein! LOL

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:48 pm 
Bengal Cat

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I suggest a vet checkup soon, because this was the first clue that something was wrong with Thomas, and we all overlooked it. He was developing cancer, but it wasn't until the ultrasound that we were able to see it, and by then it was very advanced. So now, I've resolved to be more proactive about this type of situation. It could be nothing, but sometimes this is the only clue you will get.