It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:10 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello Friends,

I am hoping someone on this forum has already been through what I might be experiencing and wanted feedback and advice.
I am dating an Australian and currently from Canada. We have been dating for close to three years now and have had serious discussions about moving to Australia together. However, every time we are on the topic, bringing the cats along is a MUST.
I have been on the Australian Government website and read in depth on the topic. Australia seems to be one of the strictest place in bring in your pets.

Has anyone one here experienced this? I am aware they have very strict guidelines on the procedures (vet checks, vaccines, health etc.) However, how where your cats when they came out of quarantine? Australia is now obligating the cats to stay 10 days in quarantine without providing any updates...that scares me so much.
Also, there is no precision on the cost involved. There is the plane ticket involved but what about the quarantine facility? Any other hidden fees involved? Also, I've heard so many horror stories of bringing the cats on a plane. Is it best to bring them as a carry on?

This process really makes me nervous and I don't want my cats to be safe.

A mommy that only wants the best for her little cats

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:11 pm 
Senior Bengal

Just did this. (See leaving on a jet plane). I have used The Pet Relocator (Cassandra Lupens) for all of my moves. There's a 6-month wait between rabies titers and import permit application. Once they are in country, there's a 10-day quarantine.
Personally, it's more stressful for me to see my pets on a plane being stressed out. I much prefer to shell out the extra money to make sure my fur children arrive where they need to get to.
My cat and dog were adopted in South Korea, then flown in to Houston, Texas, then driven for 3 days up to NYC, then flown to Soran, Iraq, then back to Houston, Texas and now we are in Canberra, Australia.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ugh, couldn't cats just get passports like humans? It would make it so much easier! That little paw print for fingerprints. I suggest you locate a company who handles paperwork like this so you can cross the T's and dot all the I's. There is a quarantine in Australia -- it seems they don't particularly want new animals in their country. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:29 pm 
Senior Bengal

Omg! I have seen photos of ducks on a plane. Couldn't our pets just travel like children?
Australia is a rabies-free country and have strict bio - security laws to ensure that. I don't particularly want to run across the path of a kangaroo with rabies. That's just terrifying.
Of the different websites I looked into, Cassandra gave me the lowest price. Remember: owning a pet is like being in the military---no man left behind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:22 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello all,

Thank you very much for all your replies. Yes, we are definitely not leaving without our fur children. No matter the costs involved. Love them to pieces :) I will look into a company to ensure the entire process goes as ''smoothly'' as possible.
It would make things so much easier if cats had passports :) the most challenging part would be to take the picture of our cats sitting still, with their mouths closed and eyes open!! Yes, good luck is needed !! :)

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:25 am 
Senior Bengal

Don't worry about quarantine in Australia. They called me 4 times during my dog's quarantine because they couldn't find her medication (just eye drops, nothing serious) and then they found them in the bag of dog food.

Anyways, Cassandra is super-nice and does really well to put up with my crazy.