[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Stopped going out
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stopped going out
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:37 am 
Bengal Kitten

We're not new to cats but new to Bengals and now understand why they are so different! This one is slightly concerning us though, but probably just a bit over worried.

He's 6.5 months old and started going out, out (beyond our garden) about 2 weeks ago. We only let him out during daylight, he seems to have a great time playing with the other cats and chasing flies. Can really see how happy he is now he can finally roam beyond the boundaries. Once or twice it's been getting dark so we've called him in and he's been fine. Around the house and when we only let him in the garden prior to 6 months he was typical (from what I understand) Bengal, a deranged lunatic that had a massive heart and loving side.

The past several days (which have been amazing weather) he's become very wary of going out, but also intensely sleepy and under active, he sleeps all night then usually in the morning is non-stop but now just gets up eats and sleeps again. He went out beyond the garden for about 30 min yesterday but didn't go far, and seemed to only go out when I did. Seems to have become very clingy to me as well. Usually he would literally jump at the opportunity to get up and over the fence. Also seems quieter, not chirping and telling us he's little stories so much.

I've been stroking him to check to see if any pain (like been kicked) and nothing. It's a nice area and plenty of cats around here so unlikely.

Has the big outdoor adventure just worn him out to several days of sleep? He's eating normally, toilet normal, drinking water from anywhere but his bowl (normal). I'm sure all is ok, but anything I should check or do or similar experiences I'd be grateful for.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Stopped going out
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

No, it's certainly not normal for a 6mo old kitten to suddenly lose all their energy and want to sleep all day. My guess is that he's either ill or hurt. It sounds like you've checked him over physically and not seen any obvious wounds, which is good. It's also good that he's still eating (is he eating a reduced amount though?) but you should probably consider taking him to see the vet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Any time a cat changes its behavior, it's time for a vet visit just to check things out. A bengal who has enjoyed going outside is not going to just stop going out unless there is a good reason. Is he eating, drinking, going to the bathroom okay? I will say one thing about allowing any cat to go outside. Females normally don't roam far, but males make their own territory and while in the beginning they will stick around close by, they will, over time, expand their territory and can be miles away. There are a lot of dangers out there for any cat who is allowed to roam free. You're taking your chances with him, especially if someone spots him who has never seen a bengal before and wants to grab him up and steal him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:47 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the replies so far, yes eating is normal, same amounts, always varied his diet. Was a bit fussy in the very early days but pretty much eats anything now. All other behaviours bar loony Bengal mode are normal.

I understand the indoor outdoor debate, we love him to bits and have had some relationship testers over when / if to let him go. There have been other pedigree cats here for years and no issues, we're very much that he is more wild than most cats and it's not our place to prevent that. I also understand the other side of the argument of the anguish / dangers of allowing them out. We do minimise risk by keeping it to daylight hours. We're on a quiet cul-de-sac well away from the main road, and the way it's designed cars don't tend to speed up here.

Our instinct is he got spooked by something (another cat or even maybe a human) and he's still frightened. If he's closer to home it's better for our sanity but the lack of energy (that he was burning of at the rate of knots previously) just isn't there that is concerning us. Though I will say very cuddly an cute a change of behaviour this sudden is worrying.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:51 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Loss of energy and sleeping a lot at that age would have me taking him to the vet to rule out any problems.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:09 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks again for the replies, glad not just being paranoid!

Yesterday evening he did a pee then did his usual post toilet routine of running circuits of the house and garden at 100mph. He then went over the fence and was playing nextdoor, we kept the door open whilst we ate dinner and got him in about 40min later because it was dark.

This morning he got up with my wife and ate, followed her around but back to bed before she left and hasn't moved.

A point my wife made is this coincided with us allowing him to sleep on our bed, maybe us tossing and tuning in the night is keeping him awake. Also there's been a bit of heighten anxiety in the house surrounding us moving (or not, hence anxiety) and he could have picked up on that. I know the sleeping on our bed is frowned upon by some but the 5am wake up calls were killing my wife, she does long shifts as a nurse and was really struggling.

We've got someone to stay with him this morning, I'll see how he is when I get back from work. He's due at the vet Sunday for routine check but I'll either bring it forward or just take him anyway in the next couple of days. Will keep you posted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:37 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Ok so not paranoid, vet can see he's not himself. Gums are slightly pale, possibly some fluid in he gut (might be nothing). Felt hot but temperature ok.
Bloods all ok, next stop is xray to see if he's swallowed something he shouldn't have.
Still very sleepy, got home took him to the vets and back and apart from a bit of food he's been fast asleep.

I'm worried sick, possiblity of FIV even got mentioned but would need to test again in 3 months.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We appreciate the update! Something is obviously going on with your baby. FIV is Feline Aids and it generally does not affect the cat except for the immune system. Cats contract the disease from an infected cat (usually from a vicious cat fight). Most cats can live long, healthy lives having FIV. FIP is a different story. The first sign is usually fluid build up. And, unfortunately, if a cat has this, the health goes down hill very fast -- days, not weeks. So, I highly doubt if it is FIP, there will be no three-month visit with the vet. My niece had to put down one of her cats recently and they tested the cat and it was wet FIP. I hope for your sake it is NOT FIP as there is no cure or treatment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:05 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Sherry,

Sorry to hear about your Niece's cat, sounds awful!

Ironically he's perked up since his sleep earlier, not the usual monster we're used to and seems a bit weak with his jumping. However definitely more himself, if just smaller doses and gentler.

Xrays tomorrow, then go from there. Maybe it is just some kind of viral thing, lesson learnt though.. anything seems wrong get it checked, it doesn't mean I'm OTT.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey Duckegg, any updates on your wee one?
I read your post with trepidation as I lost 2 kittens last year to FIP and it was starting to sound eerily similar. I really hope it's something simple that will clear up easily.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It does make me wonder if he ate something wrong out there. Even a well meaning neighbor can give out treats that are not cat friendly. I had a cat who used to sneak next door for empanadas and burritos and all kinds of stuff that I had to finally put a stop to!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:30 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:48 pm 
Bengal Kitten