It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:39 pm 
Bengal Cat

I'm looking for some advice from the community. My big boy Rocky is about to turn 5. Over the past several months, he has taken to peeing on anything left on the floor in one room, and one room only, in our house. Paper, 3 ring binder, blanket, etc. If it is on the floor, he pees on it. Not sure if this is marking behavior or something else. He does use the litter box as well. I'm taking him to the vet next weekend for a checkup, just in case, but I don't think he has anything wrong with him. He is fixed, not declawed. Hoping you guys can help me understand why he is going this and give me some strategies to get it to stop. If it matters, the room is carpeted. It is literally connected, via the carpet, to another room, and 2 feet from another room, and he doesn't do this in either of those rooms.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shawn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It matters a great deal that the room is carpeted! At this point you may have to rip up that carpeting and give the floor a good scrub with an enzyme cleaner (you can get the cleaner at any pet shop or grocery store these days).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One simple solution is to pick up everything off the floor and see if that makes a difference. If nothing is medically wrong with Rocky, then it's stress related. Something is up in that area of the house. Do you have any other pets? Did you just move into this home and there were pets previously in that room? Do outdoor cats come around to this particular area outside of your home? Another solution is to eliminate his access to this particular room. Hopefully, your vet will have some suggestions, too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:52 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks for the replies. I just shampooed that room with a professional grade cleaner last weekend. This Friday during the day he peed on a 3 ring binder. We have lived in this house since we got Rocky, and we have one other cat that was here when we got him. So no changes there. He does seen to pee in there unless there is something on the floor. There are windows in that room, I've never seen another cat out there but I can't say it never happens. It is a second story room. I wish I could eliminate access but the main entrance to it (there are 2) is about 10 feet wide.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Since he only pees when there is something on the floor, please make sure everything is picked up. You do have a litter box up there, right? Since you have another cat and you have multi levels in your home, you are going to need two on each level.