It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My wife and I posted this in the Cat CRAP Facebook group as well, so this is sort of a double post. Just looking for as much help as we can get.

--------

I apologize for the long winded post, but I am in need of some advice for my cat. My wife and I are very concerned for our guy.

Our F3 bengal boy has been having some health issues and we believe it may be food/digestive related. We get blood work back for him today just to check everything possible.

Surrounding his eyes it appears to be swollen and red... also producing reddish colored eye boogers, he doesn't open them wide open like he should, and they seem very irritating to him. He's always squinting. Possibly a food allergy is what the vet said. The vet also said he has some gingivitis... Maybe the food is hurting his mouth?

He's eaten the PRIMAL Raw food from pet stores since we brought him home (he's 1yr now), and recently he won't touch the primal raw. He used to be very much into the food, and would be extremely interested in eating it right away. Not any more...

I want to give him the best raw diet possible now after researching and reading here and the Cat CRAP FB group, but he won't touch it (yet). I've tried beef, venison, chicken, turkey, rabbit all in raw meat form and he won't touch it. Maybe there is an additive I could add that would really be appetizing to him? The ONE thing he did eat a good amount of this week was boiled chicken meat with small bones (i cut up a whole organic chicken that he wouldn't eat raw).

Yesterday the vet gave us canned Canin Royal Energy and he ate it up in a hurry. Is this food grain free? The can doesn't say so. Is it even good for them (according to who)? If it isn't I don't understand how a vet can recommend it so highly.

First step for us to find out what's going on from the blood work, if anything. If nothing the vet said we will most likely try antibiotics for his eyes. Next is... I need to give him something that he WILL EAT for the time being. I want to try re-introducing raw gradually because I do believe that is best for him. What good is raw at the moment if he won't touch it though? My boy's gotta eat... and he's gotta get healthy! We're not opposed to good quality food alternatives.

Any recommendations, wisdom, or insight is welcome. Please understand my wife and I want what's best for our cat and are trying to do all that we can.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:43 am 
Bengal Kitten

Good news! His blood work came back perfect and he's now eating canned food from the holistic store. Not as good as raw, but atleat he's eating.

He was given antibiotics and eye drops, so we will see if that clears up. He's already been opening his eyes bigger and seems more like himself.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm sorry nobody commented on your post, but it looks like things are looking up. Just as humans sometimes just wake up and don't feel well, with nothing seriously wrong, it can happen with cats, too. Happy everything came back good and he is eating again.