[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - What type of Litter and Litter Box does your Bengal Like?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:37 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi All,

I'd love to hear what type of litter box (enclosed, open, covered, large, etc...) and what litter you and your Bengal like.

Thanks!

Mrssos3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there.

My 2 like large open boxes and I use okoplus cats best organic litter, it has no dust at all and smells of wood shavings.

It does clump with the wee but not with poo.

I have tried many litters and this one seems the best for us, it's not the cheapest but I find there is no litter box smells with it.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Mine has a hooded litter box in his enclosure and I purchased a super large with high sides litter box for inside the house. The cat litter I'm using is CatsPride. They have various types under that name, but I like the purple lid over the other types. They make one that doesn't clump unless you leave the waste in there for hours.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Diesel definitely prefers the large boxes, we use plastic storage totes without a lid, although when we've gone around changing out the litter he does "try out" every single box :lol:

As for litter we usually get "Special Kitty" from WalMart it's very reasonably priced and clumps really well. If we have a box that gets particularly high use I will buy the Clump & Seal multicat from Arm & Hammer. It's expensive but man it clumps fast and really hard and it controls odor really well.

We've got 6 cats in total and 8 litter boxes throughout the house.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:00 am 
Bengal Kitten

Are the litter boxes in your house out in the open (example: sitting right next to the couch or in you dining room)? What rooms do you have them in? I've considered building those large end tables and putting a box inside one and then putting one in a hallway closet with a door for the cat the access...and then one in our bathroom...our house is a ranch and has a very open feel to it and I'm just wanting to get a sense of what works well for the Bengal breed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have 2 boxes side by side at the far end of my kitchen diner and away from their food.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We have a litter box for each floor of the house (3 floors), but he almost never uses the one on the top floor.

So far, we are using the typical open tray medium sized litter box & Dr. Elsey's odour free litter.

He does have tendencies to try to cover/bury his pees or poos so much that he sprays litter all over the place, but this doesn't happen too much. He also jets out of the litter box and runs away all zoomed out like he's seen a ghost every time he's done his business lol. Meh, at least he's using them :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm very fortunate in that all 3 of my cats have excellent litterbox habits. When Neytiri came home to me, I did the "keep her on the same litter she used at the cattery" thing. she was supposedly used to those sawdust pellet litters, so I started her out on that (the breeder gave me some)... that was a debacle. What a mess! I really don't think she liked it very well either :(. So after only a few days I switcher her over to what the bengals were using and we never looked back.

They prefer LARGE open boxes (as in, I searched a number of places and bought the largest ones I could find), one is used for pee and one for poo. I use tidy cat litter, which they are happy with. I like it because it clumps real well, has a nice smell, and they recently came up with a light version of the litter (light as in less heavy) which is a little more expensive by is way easier for me to lug around.

You definitely need to just go with whatever works for your cat though. If your cat doesn't like a box or a litter you are using, you gotta pretty much dump it immediately and find one he likes better. That's the way it works. Doesn't matter so much what you want :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:03 pm 
Senior Bengal

Katniss has a large covered litter box and we use worlds best cat litter ..
It clumps well and doesn't smell, but it does track! Katniss has a habit of going in there when her paws are wet (which is every morning as she takes a shower with me and gets soaked) and it obviously gets stuck to her paws and she takes it everywhere. It also tracks when her paws are dry, so I'm thinking of changing it ..

Claire, does the okoplus track a lot?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes the okoplus does track alot as it is very light, I do end up with it everywhere and am always sweeping up.

The main reason I like it though is because there is no dust at all which is good for me and the cats and there is no smell either, I scoop every day but only clean the whole box once a month, I just need to top up.

Also I can empty all the used litter (minus the poops) into my compost bin which is also good.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I use OdourBuster, which is similar to what Clare said about the litter she uses. However, it does leave a trail after Diablo and Star have done their business.

I have two litter boxes, both covered. One is a rather large one and the other one is a triangle shape (a little smaller) and fits nicely in a corner.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

my cats also use okoplus, with four trays around the house its comfy not to have to change it all every week. It makes a bit of a mess but not so much I'd be worried... Much more mess is being made when they try to cover their stuff and the pellets end all over the place

Lily & Noha - Oct 7th 2015

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:52 am 
Bengal Cat

Two large open trays.

Located in our laundry room / utility. Not a big room but shortly to move one of these outside to a covered cat run small enclosure I've built in our back alley once they've understood how a cat flap works.

Moved from chicken chick crumb the breeder was using onto corn based clumping natural stuff...which can be flushed down the loo! Lightweight and nice neutral odour

Slightly more dusty but the flushing wins it for me, no bagging up and filling the waste bin. I bought a large food scoop online for the left hand, litter scoop in right hand to sift and transfer to the large scoop, short walk to the cloakroom and flush away. If an overnight wee wee has started to set the clump hard I use the litter scoop front edge to chop up into smaller chunks whist sitting in the large scoop therefore avoiding tipping a large solid into the toilet pan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:09 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Three huge covered trays. One living room behind the sofa, one in my youngest daughter's bathroom (bless her for being ok with it) and one in the utility room. Oscar has 'elevator butt' as Jackson Galaxy calls it. He starts off squatting to pee then finishes standing as if he is spraying and it goes everywhere. Covered is the only option in our house! I use a clumping litter. Oscar goes through phases of using the trays and going outside. You never know so it keeps us on our toes! Could be the weather that makes his inside/outside decision!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal