It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:29 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Last Sunday I came home with two bengals cats, Cesar-20 months and the other Pompeii -4 months. Boy has our house been A flurry of activity. We have a large standard poodle, cookie -7 years. We have kept them fairly separated so far, let the cats decide on coming out of the room or not. They seem a bit undersocialiZed and very skiddish (dog present or not)....I am figuring out this is normal. We are still under a week of ownership. just hungry for information and glad I found this forum.

Somewhere I read often bengal kittens don't give a rats butt if you touch them or not, seems to be the case here. Older Cesar tolerates being picked up and doesn't mind petting, but on his terms (okay with that), but don't even think of picking up Pomp. I can pet pomp when playing with him (fishing rod toy) and occasionally in the cat tree when he actually stays in the bed (mostly he jumps out if you approach). Any sound maples the most jump three feet in the air....guessing this is all just adjustment.

They were caged at the breeders, allowed some socialization...but not near what probably should have been! They are ours now and are already loved! Nothing severely broken or damaged yet! Still trying to bengal proof the house.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Congratulations with Caesar and Pompeii and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like they haven't had the best start in being kept in cages, but give it time and they are likely to come out of their shells and become more social.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. Your babies are stunning!!! Know that it just takes time for a kitty to settle in to a new environment and new people. If they were indeed cage, then they don't know freedom, which you are giving them. Patience is the key. Each cat will go at its own pace. They will have to gain socialization skills and that will come simply by your playing with them and giving them pets when they allow it. Most bengals crave attention. Giving them treats will also help. Know that these two will bond, but they should also bond with you. Hang in there. Don't expect too much too soon. They will come around as their confidence grows. As for your doggie, they will all have to meet sooner or later. Hope it goes well.