It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

As of a few minutes ago, Diablo has a watery discharge from both eyes. (Every morning I brush both kitties' coats and their teeth. I check their eyes and ears at the same time.)

So, when I noticed him squinting, I picked him up and saw both eyes were tearing. I cleaned him up, and after a few seconds, one of the eyes had a white discharge.

I am very upset, because all I can think of is that he caught Star's herpes from all her sneezing?? Luckily, I will be seeing my vet tomorrow. I had so hoped he would not catch anything from his sister. I feel so guilty.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, at least you are taking Diablo to the vet. If you've googled Feline Herpes, you will find it is highly contagious to other cats, especially when they share the same air and a litter box. If your vet determines this is indeed Feline Herpes, there is no cure for it. A simple upper respiratory infection can be treated. The Lysine should help if you use it on both cats. I am so sorry you're going through this. The outdoor cat I take care of has watery eyes, too, although the vet says she thinks it's the hair around his eyes that are bothering him. I can to clean his eyes this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Sherry,

You bet I have googled Feline Herpes!

But although I have two litter boxes, they still share it. They groom each other, they drink from the same water bowls, and like you said, they breathe the same air!

My veterinarian is actually a close friend, and he is coming over tonight for dinner. And will be bringing the lysine for both kitties. He said it is a virus, and the capsules will help. I have to put it in their food.

I love my little ones dearly. Whatever it takes, I will do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Lysine tablets? Hmm. I'm sure there are several types. I truly hate this for you and both of your babies. Watery eyes can't be fun for them either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was wrong, Sherry, it wasn't tablets, but chewies. I gave each of them one tonight.

Diablo's eyes stopped tearing this afternoon, but he has been acting very quiet, and had a fever today. My vet checked him and said he definitely has the virus now. He brought his stethoscope to that he could listen to Star's heart again. No murmur!!! He said that she could have been stressed at the clinic the other time. But, definitely nothing now!