[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Star
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Everyone!

I have been reading alot of the posts on here, especially about adopting a second kitty. I finally did it and today, brought home a 5 month old beauty, a snow mink Bengal, I named Star.

I have had plenty of cats in the past, but never one that just stepped out of the cat carrier and felt right at home! Star acted like she owned the place (she does!), never went into hiding, and walked right up to Diablo, and started playing with him! Diablo is affectionate, but on his own terms. Star, when she is not running after her new brother, plops herself down next to me or on me! She is amazing!

My only concern is that she sneezes alot. Before I decided to bring her home, when she started sneezing, (the owner said the breeder told her it was no cause for concern)I checked her eyes and nose, but there is no discharge. She behaves normally, is eating, etc. So, I am wondering if there is something she was allergic to at her previous owner's place? Anyway, we will go to the vet in the next week.

I am so excited to be the proud mama of two beauties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Congrats on your new addition. That is pretty extraordinary that she adjusted so fast, but how is Diablo doing? It's often tougher on the resident cat than the newcomer.

As far as the sneezing, my Serafina had a similar story. She was sneezing at the breeders, they said it was no biggie "dust mites" or some nonsense, and 6 years later she still has it :cry: The vet thinks it's herpes virus. One thing to consider right now is if you want to get pet insurance. If you can get insurance before any type of diagnosis like that, it will help you later on.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Brian!

Thanks for the advice!

In my excitement, I forgot to mention how Diablo feels about his new sister....lol...He was staring at her for the first hour or so....And, when she got too close, he hissed, which surprised me, as he rarely does that.

But, they spent the afternoon playing together; and I know they will be just fine. They are sleeping side by side now, with Star closer to me. She has bonded very quickly to me. She is already following me everywhere, and when I went to throw out the garbage, she sat by the door, crying for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our great forum and congratulations on Star! It is amazing when two cats are put together and fall in love with each other immediately. It's pretty rare, I believe!!! But happy it has worked out for you.

As for sneezing, back in 1986, we adopted a grown kitty from Animal Control and a day later, she started sneezing up a storm. Took her to the vet and she had a upper respiratory infection, so had to give her pills and nose drops! Oh fun! What a way to start a relationship. But she survived and so did we. Hopefully, it isn't anything too serious.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sherry, the girl I went to get Star from said the breeder gave her a nose spray to use. But, I do not want it. I left her a message, asking when the kitten started sneezing, what kind of cat litter she used. I have the vet certificate with the first vaccines, stating she is healthy. So, while I am not happy about her sneezing, (and it is not constant - she will go hours without doing so, and then sneeze several times in a row) I can see she is healthy. No discharge from eyes or nose, ears are clean, she has a healthy appetite and is very playful. As soon as I come near her, she starts purring up a storm!!!

And, Sherry, I have been on the forums for several years, when I first became Diablo's Mama, it is just I have not posted very much in awhile. However, I was still around, but just lurking.

You, as well as so many others on here, have always been so helpful and full of great information!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Then welcome BACK to the forum. LOL. At least you are going to the vet, so the vet will tell you for sure what the issue is. URI are contagious. So be watchful if your other kitty starts sneezing, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Will do, Sherry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Brian, I tried applying for pet insurance, but there is a month waiting period, and I did not want to wait that long before taking Star to see the vet.

So, we went last night, and as I expected, the vet wants to wait at least 10 days before doing any vaccinations. It could be viral, an allergic reaction to something from the previous owner's place, or as you so correctly stated, Brian, it could also be herpes. And, just as you mentioned, Sherry, the vet said it is possible for Diablo to catch it, even though he has been vaccinated. Nothing is 100% full proof.

The vet also said Star has a heart murmur, which we hope will disappear as she matures.

I have found her to be rather big for 5 months, and my vet agreed. He checked her teeth, and she has too many permanent ones, which have been there for a few weeks, so he calculated that she is at least 6 months.

The original owner has not responded to my inquiries. I contacted the original veterinarian who gave her her first shots. They have no record of her. I have no regrets, as I love this little baby girl, and I will do whatever it takes to make sure she is well taken care of. I feel like I kind of rescued her and will give her every chance for a healthy and loving life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your vet gave you a wealth of information, Jacqueline. You hate to think the previous owner was dishonest, but it can happen. As for the heart murmur, they are so common in bengals. The inbreeding that goes on contributes to a lot of congenital issues. The heart murmur can go away or maybe it won't. Raiden has a grade 3 heart murmur and always will.

I agree with the vet in postponing the vaccinations. You need to get this issue resolved first. I just researched and discovered feline herpes is a form of upper respiratory infection. Keep Diablo away unless you want to treat him as well. Hang in there ... it will get better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks, Sherry for your input. It is impossible to keep Diablo away. I am gone during the day and I live in a large bachelor apartment. It is impossible to separate them as the only rooms with a door are the bathroom and the large walk-in closet! So, I will just have to hope for the best that he does not catch anything. I have noticed that Star hardly sneezed tonight.

Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:01 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So far, so good, Brian! My little girl has not been sneezing as much (as I mentioned above). Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but I so believe she will get over this!

Again, thanks for all your valuable information. You, too, Sherry, and for researching herpes! You guys are the best! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would think pet insurance, like regular health insurance, has limits as to what they will pay. Insurance companies are in the business to make not money, not pay out claims, so read any fine print to make sure you know what is covered, what is not, and what you have to do to put in a claim.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

This is excellent advice, Sherry! The cost for both my kitties is $75.00/month!! More than it costs ME!!! I discussed the pet insurance with my veterinarian, and as I was telling him there was a waiting period of a month, he was shaking his head, and said that Star now has the "pre-existing" condition, and the insurance costs would not be worth it. I have to agree.

I will make sure that Star will be just as well taken care of as Diablo.

I have been very good friends with the veterinarian for a very long time. But, I never mixed our friendship with "business". So, I was very surprised when he said he will make a house call and vaccinate Star in about 10 days. And, he told me not to worry about any additional expenses that may come up with her heart murmur. She is already sterilized, which he said proves her heart is strong and healthy to have been put under a general anaesthetic.

I am feeling very positive. Especially as I watch her interact with her big brother, Diablo. I call them the two little accomplices! My heart melted last night when I discovered them sleeping side by side on my kitchen chair!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The one thing you can do, Jacqueline, is to put aside some money each month toward vet bills. You can keep it in an envelope or put it in a separate account to have in case of an emergency. Even a few dollars can add up over time and help cover any larger expenses you weren't expecting.