[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Hendrix and Jagger
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hendrix and Jagger
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Jagger post dental work. He still wasn't very happy on Saturday. He ended up in his sleeping bag in the living room, hiding from the world. I think he's finding it a bit weird having a shaved patch on his frontleg - it must feel soooo cold at this time of year. I feel like making him a little leg warmer to help him out!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a brave soldier. Legwarmer idea just brilliant! :wink:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aww, what a sweet snuggle puss. I know .. Raiden had a shaved spot from the IV they had him on. The fur grows back pretty fast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bless him, he looks so cute all wrapped up in his sleeping bag.

I'm sure he will be himself again soon x

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Awe what a little sweetie. You can tell he feels under the weather. How has Hendrix treated him?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well I had tried to keep Jagger separate initially but he was growling and wanting to go round the house and check everything was as it should be. Unfortunately Hendrix turned up and went for a sniff and then of course he hissed and swiped him as I hadn't had time to rub him with a blanket from home - but my Mum was with me for the weekend to help me out and she immediately turned on her dog training voice and told him 'NO!' very sternly and they both looked at her and then behaved :lol: :lol:

I did have to laugh as most of the time I'm blatantly ignored - familiarity breeds contempt etc. They remained perfectly behaved for most of the weekend as a result. They do love my mum but always, ALWAYS obey her. So annoying!

In fact, they even had a mutual grooming each other session on Sunday - and normally its Hendrix grooming Jagger. Maybe Jagger was saying thank you for being nice to him even though he stank of vet!

Jagger was back to himself Sunday and stole the garden kneeler from my mum and then wrestled it in between bombing up and down trees and jumping on the rake and jumping out on me from the hedge. It was a relief to see him like that again.

We've had issues with the foxes again recently which has also been stressing him out - a fox keeps coming right up to the conservatory and even stares in through their cat flap - I had to get Jon to chase it off twice as it didn't pay any attention to me, just sat there like he was expecting to come indoors!! So not a great week for Jagger really. I bought a book on fox deterrence last week for more ideas and it says all I can hope to achieve is to not have them linger in the garden - to try to stop them completely is impossible and equivalent to trying to stop birds flying over the garden!!! But that would be enough I think to reduce the stress levels for the boys...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Re: the hiding thing. He could very well be in pain. That is a typical pain reaction, and under the circumstances it is not unexpected (I've had cats that have had extractions too). You may need to call the vet and ask about getting some pain killers... although in the latest post you say he's acting more normally now? At least keep an eye on him. I'm quite sure that having a tooth yanked out of your skull would hurt a bit :eek:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Very cool, just keep in mind though that he has no way to say "uh, mom, you gotta up the pain meds" other than hiding :sad: But sounds like he is on the road to recovery.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I definitely think he's doing ok, he's been trying to bully Hendrix out of the cat tree tonight :lol:

All peaceful now though, they are both on the settee all snuggled up at opposite ends! Just tried him with fish flavoured toothpaste and that was rejected along with the chicken flavour. Ho hum. It's going to take ages to get him anywhere close to having his teeth cleaned daily, although Hendrix seems to quite like both flavours. Doubt he'll react well to the kitty toothbrush either though :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, I am so sorry to hear you are still having problems with the foxes. How are they getting into your garden? Is it open? Do they have a "hole"? I think you mentioned Jon was going to have to fill one up. This can be exasperating. The wildlife is obviously seeking food. You don't keep any outdoors for Hendix and Jagger do you? You simply have to make the area totally unattractive to them, which can be difficult, but I am sure you will find something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Sherry,

I now have a book called 'unearthing the urban fox' to help me make my garden less attractive through use of deterrents etc. There are some holes/gaps in the fencing and I'm getting a quote to sort that out before next spring and the next generation of Cubs are likely to be around.

Basically, I am in fox territory and I have neighbour's who encourage them. The book is clear i can't stop them getting in. They can squeeze through a 12cm square gap.

All I can hope to achieve is to stop them lingering and my next step is stopping the parents bringing their babies into the garden. When they are small, if I've replaced all the panels with holes and blocked the gaps, I'm assuming they won't be able to get in as they'll be too small to jump the fence. We've already ripped out the bramble the previous owner planted and the border where the den was has been cut right back and there is less cover, and the den blocked.

All fun and games! Lucky I have a microchip cat flap or I think that fox would have come in! Being realistic it could probably break in through it but I barricade it at night anyway. Damned thing did chase jagger up a tree though.

Was quite funny watching Jon run around the garden after it in his dressing gown, brandishing a garden ornament. It still kept coming back :mad: probably thought it was a game!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When you have neighbors encouraging the foxes, they need to stay on their property and not yours. They are basically foraging for food. Anything in your garden that they can eat? Do you feed the birds? Some will eat dropped bird seed. They seem to like just about everything, so it's important that you not only eliminate the openings where they can get in, but you eliminate any type of food source for them.

"Foxes are omnivores and eat small mammals, birds, reptiles, frogs, eggs, insects, worms, fish, crabs, mollusks, fruits, berries, vegetables, seeds, fungi and carrion. In winter they mainly eat mammals, such as mice, rabbits and other small animals."

Unfortunately, there is no way to eliminate insects, frogs, worms from your yard. They are just there. You might want to suggest to your neighbors that they put out extra food for them. They are obviously still hungry.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Unfortunately the foxes aren't going to stay on the neighbour's property, they generally grab and run through our garden with chicken legs and strings of sausages! They've also been fed massive bones that they seem to think they need to fight over under our bedroom window.

I have a date booked with a fencing contractor now to get all the gaps, repairs and additional fencing required quoted for. Jon's happy for me to change the side gate as well as the gap beneath it is more than 8cm. It will all be done before spring and the next generation of Cubs are around. If the Cubs can't follow the parents into our garden it will hopefully break the cycle and make it a less desirable route.

Hendrix ended up on the bungalow roof yesterday afternoon with the fox desperately trying to get to him. It doesn't seem aggressive, just seems to want to play. I chased it off but again, it seemed to think it was fun and kept coming back for more.

Food and water resources have been removed as far as possible. I've plenty of other hints from that book as well. I've been on the right track but there are other things I can do I'd never have thought of! The book is written by fox experts to provide humane deterrence methods for people like me!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As a last resort -- MOVE! LOL. I am hoping securing the fence and gate will help solve the problem. More little foxes in spring will just complicate things more. Good luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next