[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Sick cat. Does it sound like FIP?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:06 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone, new the forum and have been the proud owner of Bella for about a month after collecting her at just over 10 weeks. She'll be 4 months on 11th Dec.

Over the last week I've noticed her belly begin to swell up - thought it was a full belly at first until I noticed first thing in the morning when her stomach should have empty. I have taken her to 2 different vets and will be taking her to a 3rd tomorrow. The 1st vet suspected FIP, conducted an ultrasound and confirmed fluid in her abdomen. They then took bloods and some fluid for testing. Worried I contacted the breeder who suggested it may be bacterial and ghats vets are "to quick" to diagnose FIP when there is no definitive test. Taking this on board I took Bella to a different vet for a second opinion. This appeared a more thorough examination..... white gums(anemia), severe weight loss, fluid filled abdomen and they came to the same conclusion more than likely FIP. Although we were still waiting on blood/fluid results.
Her eyes are clear - not yellow or weeping. She hasn't vomited and didn't have diareah (she does now, foods remained the same). She doesn't want to play just sleep all the time. Still eats and drinks sometimes more, sometimes less. The vets suggested she would go downhill quite quickly but it's been 4 days and not much change?? She's still attentive when awake and walking (waddling) around. The blood tests show a high globulin protein content and awaiting the results of the fluid still.

She has been fed on commercial wet kitten food, treated every other day to boiled chicken breast and high protein kitten kibble down all the time. Water changed twice a day. She has had a really small amount of raw chicken breast and beef. Is it possible she has food poisoning with no sickness?

I really don't want her to suffer and preparing ourselves to make a hard decision. Her fluid filled abdomen is obviously causing some discomfort and an inability to do somethings like jumping up on the sofa / cat tree. Also her muscle/fat loss all over her little body is causing me concern. I don't want her to just waste away for our sakes of having her a bit longer. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance. Jim.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there. I have no experience of this condition so cannot comment unfortunately. I just wanted to say how sad I was to read this post. I hope for a miracle for Bella. Whatever happens, just know there are people on this forum thinking of you both. Good luck x

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:18 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Just to let everyone know, little Bella took a significant turn for the worst. Her little body tried to fight of this condition for 4/5 days BUT today within a couple of hours I was taking her to the nearest vet and being told three was only one thing they could do for her. Little Bella was PTS today after being found in her bed, wet from urine - unable to get herself to her litter :-( After sponging her down it was clear she had no fight left and couldn't support her weight or walk anymore.
We're all a bit sad even after only having her just over a month. Her demanding chirps, are missed. RIP Bella. Please someone find a cure for FIP...... and soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

How devastating for you. At least little Bella is out of pain and in peace now. Hugs to you all x

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm so sorry you lost Bella, it does sound like it was FIP. I too lost a cat to it some years ago and it is totally devastating.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh, I am so, so, so very sorry to hear this. Poor Bella. Please discuss this with your breeder. Did she offer a health guarantee? FIP is a horrible disease and cats usually go downhill very quickly. Unfortunately, there is no treatment or cure. Based on your post, it was, indeed, FIP. So tragic for you. You had her for such a short time. Know that this can be transmitted and your breeder should contact other owners from this litter and let them know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So so sorry to hear about little Bella. Sorry for your loss, as she clearly was very loved for the short time you had her.
May she be playing hard at Rainbow Bridge, until you all meet again. XXX

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:10 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks all, for the kind messages.

I have told the breeder. She says the rest of the litter are healthy and that she will get the Queen tested. No health gaurantee that I can see was included in the contract of sale. We bought Bella at just under 10 weeks old and had to get her first vaccinations ourselves. Having looked at other breeders they provide their kittens older and after vaccinations. Do you think I have any sort of recourse with the breeder??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Once again, I feel so bad for you over the loss of Bella. Unless your breeder gave you a health certificate and guarantee, you probably do not have a legal recourse against the breeder. This is not the breeder's fault unless you can prove the breeder was aware of this and sold you the kitten anyway. Getting your cat a few weeks later would probably not have prevented this. However, had your breeder taken the kittens to the vet for vaccinations and checkups, it is possible the vet may have discovered the issue. Note that many breeders are very quick to claim they didn't know or have any responsibility. A good breeder would either refund a portion of your money or allow you to take another kitten at a very reduced price. However, you probably would not want to get another cat from this particular breeder. There are lessons to be learned at every corner of life. While this is such a tragic loss, things like this happen. My heart and deepest sympathy go out to you.