[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Silvery Luna says Meow
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silvery Luna says Meow
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey guys :) Long time since I last posted here - the firsts few weeks with my new cat Luna (previously known as Thea) was hell on me. Breeder got a test back from her sister, positive for Giardia. My girl, and boy went into treatment too.
Everything got cleaned everyday.
My mom came to keep Luna company while I ended up having my period shortly after she came.
I became emotionally distanced from the cat, which resulted in a lousy transition - completely my fault.

At least the two cats are very friendly and playful with each other, I rarely hear a peep from them when they play and they both enjoy chasing each other around the small apartment.

This weekend I'm getting some help to move stuff around and also assemble my new CATWHEEL! I'm very excited for how that will go, I suspect Luna will hold back and Akio will be the one to hog the wheel :lol:

Her tummy is still a bit bad, I suspect the wet food is too much and gives her too soft poo, while the raw has too much bone (working on that). Akio, my other Bengal, throws up when eating raw turkey so at least I know not to feed him that anymore - poor guy.

Me and Luna are bonding, slowly but surely, as I take more time to pick her up, engage her and talk to her each day. My mom came over to visit this Tuesday and was stunned at how far we had come from just a week ago. My Luna is my little princess, to be handled with care - but she has an incredibly loving and playful side to her too and can be as fierce as Akio.

I hope you guys will continue to support and help me through difficult times, as I am not exactly the most stable person :neutral:

Any advice on how to improve bonding and getting her tummy in order is very, very welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome back!

The most important thing is to be a consistently positive force in her (Luna's) life. You have to be the adult, and focus on how bad this experience is for her, rather than how bad it is for you.

Bonding is simple in principle: find the things that she likes the most, and repeat them frequently. And at the same time find the things that she dislikes the most, and try to avoid them whenever possible. I think for many bengals the largest positives would be interactive play and treats, while the negatives would be things like being scolded, being locked away from their humans, or being picked up and cuddled against their will.

For the poo problem, yea, that's tough. I went through an ordeal like that, as did many here in the forum. If you're persistent though, you will get through it, but you have to stay on top of it, and really critically look at what is happening. If you give us more details (the timeline, what's been done, what your vet has told you etc, we may be able to give some specific suggestions). Like I said, many many of us have been through this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Let's see, she arrived on the 25th of September with a bad tummy.
Thursday the 29th her sister tested positive so on the 30th I started them both on Panacur (vet) for 5 days, got a bit better with the awful sick smell and after that she got on metronidazole, which she took for 8 days I think. (Time got a bit blurry there) originally it was only for 5 days too but as she had what they guessed were an abscess she was on it longer to get it to go away (which it did) and she got Canikur/pro-kolin for the first week and a half with no improvement at all.
After that she was on a break for a couple of days then on Panacur for 2 days - was supposed to be 5 but I observed no changes only her having a really hard time dealing with everything so I took her off after telling the vet.
In the first 2 weeks they were on Thrive food (wet food in cans).
I then tried raw for around 2 weeks, her tummy got better but she started having a lot of trouble pooing and after she dripped blood one time, I decided to try adding pumpkin puré, salmon oil and extra fiber supplement for Pro-kolin. Nothing helped. (The raw mix was 70% meat 15% organs and 15% bones.) I tried going back to Greenwoods and Thrive, since everyone told me boiled chicken was as basic as you got. She went from too hard to watery.
Then I decided to try some other wetfood, Feringa Kitten. She likes it very much but her poo is still too mushy. The poo barely has shape really - but she stopped bleeding and didn't go as much. In fact her horrendous farting got worse for the first few days, then a lot less now.
For the last week I have mixed raw from the mix I got in her food, which turns the poo solid enough that it looks almost normal but soft enough not to tear on the way out.
Vet has suggested I try a diet for sensitive stomachs (which to them is dry food Hill's, Royal Canin or Virbac) I tried Virbac with Akio but he had zero interest in it.
Most of the time the vet is just really unsure how to take the whole raw thing, keeps telling me she doesn't think it's a good idea and that the ones they've had on it came in with broken bones because they didn't get enough calcium at all. I tell them I feed a popular Danish brand of dry food for my boy and they use say they don't know it.

I'm now looking into getting a mix without bones at all - easier said than done.
If I could chose, I'd want her on wet food, because I have close to no freeze storage space and will easily lose track of thawing (just a fact). My kitchen is incredibly small - people always note how much fridge and stove is specially made miniature to fit the small space.
I might try the dry food - vet said try for 7 days, if there's no improvement that's the wrong way.
Also said to give pro-kolin everyday so I'll definitely be doing that.

I'm bonding with her :) She's a curious one but also very shy when it comes to new stuff and people.
I am picking her up though and in the beginning she did not like it at all but now she is content to relax on my arm if I pick her up (I feel it is important to be able to pick her up, especially as their insatiable curiousity tend to get them in precarious spots).
She would violently flinch if my head came closeto her, but I'I've encouraged her with treats and persistence (don't really know how to describe it, I suppose it's just how I give affection, I kiss them on the head) and now she barely flinches at all and most times she'll only ignore it.
She tends to want to suckle on my boy though, if he's lying in a particular way and she is feeling sleepy or drowsy. I haven't done anything about it since I think it is up to them and her way to find comfort. She will come lie under the duvet most nights but only stays there for around 20 minutes. Akio has picked it up with zeal and sometimes he'll wander around, meowing, until I put him under there.

Actually she's the one who gets to sleep on top of the covers, closest to me when they sleep - they'll usually switch around a bit do it's not everyday. Sometimes she'll want to sleep elsewhere.
She doesn't talk much really, and her tail is not straight up most of the time, as Akio's is. She doesn't really purr much either. I do worry about it a lot.

Hope this helps a bit, any more details I'll give as fast as I can :wink:
Oh! I try never to scold but will say no in a stern way or hiss if one does something wrong - like attacking my feet. Sometimes I have to separate them or a few minutes as I can barely give Luna any treats / Akio will clamp onto me like a leech. Sometimes. Do close the door to the bedroom(me in it) at night if they're playing rough in the living room while I try to sleep.
I know she is a bit jumpy and very careful so I try not to do stuff she doesn't like.
She loves to play on her own though, with stuffed mice and such - will even growl at Akio if he tres to join in, fierce little girl.
My friend said to do things on her own terms while also trying not to treat her with less love than Akio gets - pretty hard to do both, as Akio is so different and purrs as soon as I touch him. I do really want that with Luna, but I was also the one who had to hold her and put pills down her throat (crafty girl would chuck them up, so I figure I just lift her some each day and in time she'll see it is not so bad) I don't think she inherently doesn't like to be lifted since she hasn't acted aggressively toward me when I do it except right in the beginning. She does not like if I close in on her with two hands or turn her over a bit, but she is beginning to see there is no harm. Everyday I work hard at letting her know I don't want to harm her, but I know she still remembers the bad pill days of me holding her and her fighting to get away from the pills - darn vet didn't tell me I could get it in fluid form unto, the second round of Panacur -.-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I wondered where you'd gone to. Happy to hear Luna has settled in and you are holding your own with two bengals. I don't know how you do it! One is a handful for me! The bonding process takes time. Spending time with the kitty playing, talking, petting -- all that reinforces the love and trust. The key is to not let the other get jealous as both babies need your love and attention.

We are here for you -- always!!! Your babies are just super precious. Love watching them grow.

Parasites are the worst! At least your breeder gave you the information. It takes time for their digestive systems to recover, especially kittens. Hang in there ... hopefully the worst is over.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hmm ok, so to summarize:

* Panacur and metronidazole for a few weeks
* Now trying different foods, alternating between constipation and diarrhea depending on what you feed her, trying to find a food that "works". Is that accurate?

Are we sure at this point that the parasite(s) are gone? Do you still get the strong odor when she goes? Has the vet re-tested?

It sounds like what you are doing, and have done, is pretty reasonable. You can't really do raw food without some sort of bone (bone meal etc) as it would not be nutritionally complete without it as I understand (not an expert though).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I could probably do eggshell powder instead of bone ~

And thank Sherry, it's actually a bit easier since Akio gets much less upset when I leave a room now. :lol:

Brianj12
Barely any odor on raw but there is one on wet food - not like the one in the beginning, basically smells a lot like the wet food does.
She's only been tested once for the parasite and any other things that might cause diarrhea - negative at this point. She farts much less and overall she seems to be getting better and better yet still has trouble with the consistency.

A few weeks ago she would fart almost all the time, I could barely stand being close to her - now it is only occasionally maybe 3-5 times a day.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You might want to give her a probiotic mixed in with her food. My kittens had gas and runny poo when they arrived. They went on medication and it improved but was not 100%. I gave them a powdered probiotic mixed in the food and everything firmed up and has been good ever since. It is not uncommon for kittens to have this problem. I don't know if it is what we do to help or if they just grow out of it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is always best to have a recheck of a stool sample to make sure the parasite is gone. You don't have to take your kitty in (at least I don't) and it will give you peace of mind that Luna is on the road to recovery. However, trying to change up her food can also cause her digestive distress. Find something that she likes and stick with it. Raw can be a pain in the rump because you need to grind up everything, including bones to give the calcium the kitties need. Unless you can buy a raw product in the refrigerated section of your pet store. Manufactured food is just as good. You just need to find something Luna will eat and won't upset her tummy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Basically all manufactured food, that I'be tried so far, is upsetting her tummy :(

Today my mom got me a meat grinder as an early birthday present - I was very excited and we went straight home to try it out. I haven't seen Akio eat as vigorously as the mix I made! In only a few hours it helped make Luna's poo 50% better!
The mix was 90% chicken breast and 10% chicken liver. I'll be adding supplement powder to give them all the stuff they need.

I'be been noticing that Akio will have regular poo, then the last bit is mushy and too soft (will stick to his paws) I'll be calling the vet if this continues on raw food

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden also has some runny poo at the end (sometimes). It is caused by the food going through the digestive system too fast. That last little bit did not get a chance to settle up. The vet says it's not a big deal -- just the way it is.

Hopefully, you will find the babies LOVE the raw food and giving them a supplement should ensure they get all the nutrients they really need. You've gone from having no pets to having two. It's a huge adjustment and takes up a lot of your time -- but I hope you're enjoying every minute of it.