[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Advice regarding adopting a 4 y/o male
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden gets called "Little Boogar," "Munchkin," "Baby," "Sweety," "Brat" and "Pain in the you-know-what." He also gets called "Raiden," however, he does not pay attention to ANY of the names!!!

Just let Tiger know you are changing his name, "Tiger, from now on, I will be calling you ........." LOL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

"Mr Tiger, henceforth the name that you will choose to ignore when you wish shall be xxxxx"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:32 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hahaha, thanks for all of your reassurance about the name :lol: I'll figure it out eventually.

Tiger is becoming very curious and wants to explore the rest of our apartment, so we expanded his access to the safe room, kitchen, and living room...but it seems like he wants nothing to do with us. He is using his litter box with no issues at all (which I am very grateful for). The only time he will come out is while we are sleeping and when we are not physically home, or to run by us and find another hiding spot lol.

I know that I should not expect him to warm up to us right away. Yesterday I sat in the kitchen where he was hiding in the cabinet, speaking to him softly. I left some treats out but he never ate any. He is eating small amounts of his food, though. Eventually he poked his head out and watched me for a while. I notice if we make eye contact he'll start to make noise. He does that when we find him hiding or if we look in his direction at all honestly. Is this a bad sign? I know he's supposed to be vocal but I just want to make sure I'm not upsetting him. Still no hissing or growling, just meows. I assume he would show me in a more obvious way if he felt threatened. Maybe I'm just not used to the noise!

By the way, my boyfriend has totally fallen in love with this little guy. He's not even a cat person, but Tiger has captivated him. He's almost as obsessed as I am.

I think all of your advice has helped Tiger and I tremendously. Today will be the first day he will be left home for 5 hours with those three rooms to himself. I hope it turns out okay! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:17 pm 
Bengal Kitten

We put together a beautiful cat tree and it's in the living room now. I should try the heating pad! That's such a good idea.
I'm going to try to see if any of the toys we bought interest him tonight. I want to be patient and let things unfold but I also don't want to be overwhelming or pushy so those suggestions are great.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

^^^^what Brian said.

Tiger's behaviour is what I would expect at the moment - curious but far from certain about the lie of the land. Looking for reassurance that you and your boyfriend aren't a threat. Not yet ready to let his guard down and be vulnerable with you.

Talking softly, not so much at him, as around him is good, as is the slow-blink - when you look at tiger then slowly close your eyes and turn your head away from him before slowly opening them again. That's telling a cat that you are in no way a threat to him.

In time be a somewhat magical source of cat treats -I'm not sure what counts for Dreamies where you are, but there will be an equivalent type of snack/kitty crack - once you find out what he likes then let treats appear around you like magic.

Be temptation for a smart, curious cat who hasn't played for some time. Sit down on the floor somewhere near him, ignore him totally and casually play with a wand toy, like he isn't there at all. If he's focussed on the toy he isn't worrying about you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know you are super excited to get your hands on this boy! That will come. You will have many, many years with him, so give him the chance to settle in. Trying to engage him in play is a good thing. Wand toys are super wonderful for that. And just sitting with him in his safe room and talking softly to him, trying to get him to take treats. The baby has been through a lot and has had no social contact for months and months. He will warm up to you, but patience is the key. Hang in there. You will be rewarded in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:44 pm 
Bengal Kitten

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I've gotta tell you guys- I'm the happiest girl in the world right now!
Last night I was washing dishes and ignoring Tiger in his hiding place in the cabinet, but speaking softly like I've been doing for a few days now.
After about twenty minutes I felt him rubbing against the back of my legs! For the first time, I saw him walking around the kitchen confidently, stretching his legs and investigating everything, and it made me so happy!! I was able to play with him for a half hour. He looked like he was having a blast and I felt honored to give him some play time. He even let me pet him softly on the head! When my boyfriend came home from work, he was greeted the same way, rubbing against his legs and talking a bunch of course!

At the end of the night he was curled up on the couch in our living room. He is really opening up to us much quicker than I had anticipated! I could not be more pleased. I've tried to use every piece of advice that was given on this thread, so I feel like I owe y'all a HUGE thank you. I know things are only going to get better and more exciting from here.

By the way, we've narrowed down the names to Zieke or Apollo! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh that's brilliant! Happy days ahead! Please post pictures when you feel he is ready for the camera! :biggrin:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:25 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I hope this works lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wow, awesome! He sounds like a really extraordinary cat, with what he's been through, he still has the capacity to trust and love so readily. Congrats! Sounds like he has found his forever home, and you've got a new BFF :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:30 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I figured lmao....I'll try that in a little bit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

So pleased that he's warming to you guys <3
I adopted a 5 year old boy and he took a little while to relax and become the little ratbag he is, but it was so worth the wait.
Good luck with him

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What progress. The rubbing up against your legs is showing that he trusts you now. It just took a few days!!! I know you and your boyfriend are over the moon about this. There will be more to come. We knew he would come around at some point. You have provided him with a loving, safe environment and he is showing his appreciation. Just know that human heating pads are not meant for cats. You can purchase heated cat pads and beds online or at your pet store. Most cats will not use them unless they are chilled. Raiden has a hooded, heated cat bed that he loves in the winter time but won't go near it any other time of the year.

It makes a huge difference when you do things the right way and you came to this forum looking for advice, which was given. You took this advice and look where you are today! Congratulations and can't wait to actually see a picture of ..... what are you going to name him???