[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Basic hygiene for kittens, 2 questions
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:15 pm 
Bengal Cat

My two questions are 1) Do you routinely wash your cat and if so, do you use something like "No More Tears" baby shampoo? And 2) Do you routinely brush their teeth? I've been wiping her face and ears with a warm cloth. With colder temperatures on the way, I don't want to promote dry skin.

I can't imagine trying to brush their teeth :eek: ! I'm trying to get up the nerve to clip her nails!

Rich

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I never wash Quasar. He is the cleanest cat I have ever met.

I have never brushed his teeth either. He eats a raw diet and has the nicest, longest, whitest teeth I have ever seen on a cat, along with odourless breath (and poop).

I do trim the tips of his claws from time to time. Sometimes they catch on furniture and carpet, even while retracted. He always sharpens them directly after clipping so this does not stop him from climbing his trees.

Trimming can be a bit of a challenge but he is getting better as he ages. He complains while I am clipping but forgives me as soon as I finish.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I do pretty much the same as Kyenta, I never was my cats the most I've used are pet wipes on them when they once where playing in the litter tray and covered themselves. Usually you don't need to wash cats they clean themselves otherwise I would just purchase cat cleaning wipes, bengals aren't a long haired breed so they don't really need to be bathed. If she isn't cleaning herself properly that could be an issue.

I trim their nails and I've never had breath issues with either of my two and I only recently moved them over to raw due to Griff's allergies although I was gonna do a switch at 6 months anyway lol he just decided it had to happen at 5. As mine are on Raw with ground bone mixed in its not really an issue. With my other girl she never really had issues with her teeth until extreme old age 14+

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cats do not need baths! This is one of their selling points. They clean themselves. You can always have kitty wipes on hand in the event they get into something they shouldn't and need a little help. My Raiden is the freshest smelling cat I've ever had and he does it all himself.

Brushing their teeth? Well, some cats love it (check out YouTube videos). You can give them treats that will help clean the tarter off their teeth. Raiden had his teeth cleaned by the vet -- he was 8 years old at the time. At his last visit, they said the tarter build up was normal and no need to clean the teeth at this time. They make finger toothbrushes and toothpaste especially for cats. If you train yours now to tolerate it, then some cats really love it. The toothpaste is flavored like chicken or fish.

Rich, you're over thinking things a little here! I know you're new to the world of bengals, but these cats are pretty self-sufficient. I do not trim my cat's nails. He was at the vet a little over a week ago and they trimmed them as he scratched the tech when she was drawing blood. Again, if you start while they are young (and just trim the very tips of the nails), the cat will learn to tolerate it. But, the claws come back sharp again after using a scratching post a few times -- it just goes on and on and on and on.

You sound like a new parent -- concerned and worrying about every little thing. Its not uncommon, but don't drive yourself crazy over this. Your little one will do enough of that throughout her life. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:20 pm 
Bengal Cat

LOL, I guess I need to take a couple of deep breaths! She looks clean and doesn't have any type of odor about her, so she must be doing a good job of grooming herself. I was really sweating it out over brushing her teeth! My hand and arm are pretty scratched and bitten up as it is. I know we shouldn't use hands as toys, but it is hard not to! I love the little "bear hug" hold they put on you while they're shredding skin. Its really not as bad as all that! She doesn't do that to my wife because Barb always tells her "NO", and Lucy listens!

Rich

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The only time Diesel has had a bath was when we brought him home. He smelled like he had been laying in poo when we got him. He HATED :evil: it but it had to be done. He's never needed one since.

I've got a very overweight dsh rescue that needs a bath on occasion since he cannot keep himself totally clean. I use a mild baby shampoo on him.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Nope and nope :-) the vet has never been able to check their teeth so brushing them is not even an option. Only bath one has had was after jumping in the loo - don't ask! - we washed her that time but clearly the trauma was too much.
I trim their nails while they are dozing off to sleep.
I'm sure they could do with a wash overall but they are indoor cats, clean themselves nicely and smell nice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sometimes it actually is necessary to bath a cat. I've had to do it a number of times. The last time was when Gaga had one of her seizures, and was basically covered in pee afterwards. I don't think it does much for a cat's dignity to smell like pee for a week or two :sad: She screamed bloody murder when I was wiping soap followed by water onto her fur, but 5 minutes later it was like nothing happened. Deep down I think she appreciated it. But other than cases like that... nah, no bathings. I have heard that it is harmful to cats (their skin and their coat). They do make shampoo products meant for pets (cats and dogs), so it doesn't hurt to have a small quantity of that lying around in case you need it.

As far as trimming claws... nah, I don't do that either. I actually used to keep my moggies claws trimmed, and I started doing it with my bengals (like others have said, doing two or three nails at a time when they are snoozing), but I decided not to do that anymore because it was hindering their ability to climb, and I've tailored my home to encourage them to climb, so it no longer made sense.

One thing to consider is that it's one thing to try to clip a kitten's claws, or give her a bath, or brush her teeth. But imagine when she becomes a stubborn, 12lb adult. That is a whole 'nother story!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

LOL Brian! Yes, I agree, there may be times when a bath is necessary -- I had a cat walk on the newly tarred street in front of our house -- and that was fun trying to get that goop off before it dried hard as a rock. But, cats do a great job of maintaining themselves.

There is a way to crank open the jaws of a cat -- it's just not easy and probably not worth it. I'd much rather the vet do a good cleaning every couple of years and then I don't have to worry about it. Do check into some of the dental treats -- that might help a little bit.

Lucy should be scratching up the toys and not your hands. It is common with kittens, but they need to learn that your hands are not prey or toys.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have never bathed my cats, but I clean their teeth once a week with pet toothpaste and something called Yucare microfibre tooth cleaner.
I do this because I have noticed Magic has a slight build up of tartar on his teeth and I don't want it getting worse and Pearl doesn't mind having it done.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I bathe mine every few months.
Those boys shed so bad that sometimes a good scrub is the only way to get rid of all that extra hair.
Or, when someone has "helped" in the kitchen too much. Like wearing an entire can of full-fat coconut milk that was on the counter ready to go into the curry.
The furminator only works so well. Faust has really sensitive skin and would almost rather a bath, I think. I use an organic, natural rosemary and lavender wash on them and do it in the sink with the sprayer nozzle. They're pretty used to it.

Nails get clipped once or twice a week depending on how enthusiastic they've been with the scratching posts. The only other hygiene thing we really do is trying to keep Max's nose clear and wipe away his eye boogers. The pneumonia and collapsed lung have caused some really sticky funk that's hard for him to clear on his own. Ear wipes sometimes, if they'll let us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've never had to bath my cats, but do occasionally put the shower on for them because they have been paddling in the toilet.

:rolleyes:

Just take the shower head and put it on the base of the shower and let it run on low pressure and your bengal should clean itself.

Nails get clipped when I can hear Ada coming down the hallway ( tick, tick tick tick ) or when Babbage snags one of my nipples when he is padding me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cranberry, you are a hoot and a half!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sarah, as you are in the UK what raw food do you feed Griffith and Arya on.

I have tried a fair few times to change my 2 but they won't have any of it, even if a mix a tiny little bit in with their food they will not touch it.

I try to give them a good quality dry food as the wet food they have is pretty rubbish.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

http://www.naturalinstinct.com/country- ... y-cat-food I have them both on that atm it's premade raw. There are a few stockists in Bristol at pet stores if you give them a call beforehand and see if they have the cat raw in as some only hold dog, but they should be able to order it in. The website only allows you to order 5kg of meat minimum so see if they like it first.

https://www.naturalinstinct.com/stockist

The turkey seemed to work really well with my two they also like the beef and venison varieties the fish didn't got down as well as I thought it would lol.

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge