[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Opinions on Litter Robot
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions on Litter Robot
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:26 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone,

After having successfully got my kits out and about on their leashes I'm looking to improve the litter situation in my day to day.

Very tempted by the litter robot 3 open air. Seems a big initial investment but would solve most of the annoyances of dealing with cleaning litter trays etc so just wondered if anyone here had any experience of them. I considered the Scoopfrees but not sure about the rake idea.

Just to add I realise they are not specific for kittens so may either hold off for a while or do the manual cycle until they grow.

Thanks in advance for any opinions if you've got one of these.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The price is OUCH!!!! It looks like a great system. It says it's for cats of all sizes. The key will be getting your kitties to use it. Some cats prefer an uncovered box. Raiden has an open and a hooded litter box. I just scoop up everything into the Litter Genie. It's not like it takes a lot of time. I'm walking by the one in the utility room dozens of times a day and I just peek in and see if he's used it. If so, I take out the waste. If not, no harm done. Automatic systems are wonderful, but the waste still has to be disposed of eventually. I am all for modern conveniences so if you want it, and have read the reviews pro and con, then get it for your babies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:04 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Yes Sherry, the price is a big hit on the wallet but I took the plunge anyway.

I posted for advice but I'm pretty impulsive when it comes to gadgets and aside from the £££ I hadn't seen a bad review and figured to get in early whilst they're young and hopefully enjoy years of (almost) hassle free litter management! I'd still be interested of course if anyone on these forums had any experiences though.

I may need to manually cycle it until they get heavy enough to trip the sensor but I don't think that will be too long the rate they are going.

Once I get it I'll be sure to post how they are getting on with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We would definitely love an update on how the kitties like the Litter Robot! It looks so futuristic!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would set it to manual mode until they're larger. We know a woman who had a kitten get trapped in a Litter Robot and died. One of her larger cats had gone in and used it then the kitten went in but was not big enough to set off the sensor again so the "timer" was still running from the adult cat having used it. The thing closed up and started it's clean cycle with the kitten in it :cry:

Hopefully it will be big enough for them when they're full grown. I haven't looked at them in about 5 years but back then they weren't big enough for an adult Bengal.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had one of those electric litter boxes with a rake. After a short time it would jam and their poo got on the rake and other parts. I would take it all apart to wash once a month and it took me an hour and was heavy and difficult to manage. The metal parts got rusty. I went back to a litter box with a liner that I changed once a week and it was so much easier. I spent several hundreds of dollars on that electric litter box and used it less than a year. It didn't really make things easier.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:56 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the advice all.

Donna, that's a scary story. I'm not sure the newer robots 'close up' but I won't be having it on auto mode until they are big enough. I'll just manually cycle it from time to time initially.

I've also read they handle 20+lb cats fine so don't think there should be a problem if they get big.

It's on it's way so should get it soon. Should look quite good by the tall houseplant the current litter box is. Expect it will get some 'wtf is that?' comments from visitors though!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh that is horrible that a kitten was stuck inside. Having the Litter Robot on manual is a good thing until they can trip the sensor okay! This morning, I went out to check Raiden's litter box in his enclosure and the lid was hanging off of it. I don't know what happened or how he did that. It's been out there for over 3 years. I forgot to check it yesterday -- he only recently began using it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:00 pm 
Bengal Kitten

The robot arrived today. It's already raised eyebrows, eg looks like a spaceship lol. Just waiting for the litter to be delivered to try it out. The cats seem interested in the new arrival.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That definitely looks a lot more roomy than the older ones. I hope they like it!

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:34 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Yes it's plenty roomy enough for the biggest cats.

Also, I don't think there'll be much problem getting them to use it as even without litter in it, one of them has already used it to go for a wee as I noticed a puddle reflecting in it on the way to bed!

I had to wipe it clean and block off the entrance with a curtain until I get the litter tomorrow.

I should add their normal tray is right in front of it, I only moved it away for the photo, but they still decided to use the robot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So space-age looking!!! Hope it works out for you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:18 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Ok so I've had this thing operating on manual for one day but already feel it could be one of the best things I've ever bought.

Luckily both my kits took to it right away and the old tray is put to pasture already so that obviously helps but seriously even with it not on auto, the fact I can just touch the power button to do a manual cycle to do a clean up is great. Also I can see how cost effective in terms of litter usage it will be. I've done 4 cycles and can hardly notice any usage so with 2 cats, a cup fill up would seem 2x per week at best.

Smell also seems contained but is early days. I'm trying worlds best atm and it seems good. I was using wood pellets before but there seems no issue in the sudden change. Tracking seems average, no real problems but a mat by the step may help if needed.

All in all, very happy so far. If, touch wood, I don't get any 'maintenance' problems, when I move onto auto mode, I really think this gadget is worth its weight in gold.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

With the high cost, it better work exceptionally well. Happy the kitties are loving it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:04 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Quick update now I've been running it for a few weeks..

Still very impressed. You worry when putting a large investment into something somewhat unknown and frankly a bit bizarre but honestly I have no regrets getting this thing.

The cats are still a tad underweight to trip the sensor, unless they both get it in which they do from time to time!, but having a quick look to see if the litter is level or not and just press Cycle if needed is no hassle for now.

Also, I hardly seem to have used any extra litter. There's still a load of it in the original bag I bought so it seems very efficient in usage.

And one final great thing I love is that I don't even need to buy or refit the garbage bags. What I tend to do as the machine is located next to one of our toilets anyway is simply to dump the waste container into the loo every other day or so. Ten second job, done!

Honestly, if you have the funds lying around and you hate litter maintenance, you won't regret buying one of these. It really does do what it sets out to.