[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Sensitivity to Vaccines, Allergies, Gingivitis
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:36 am 
Bengal Kitten

I have 2 marble Bengal cats, a brother and sister, and they are very active and energetic and affectionate. They are almost 1 and a half years old. Their problems are allergies and a sensitivity to some vaccines. Both reacted to the herpes kitten vaccine by getting herpes! Fortunately, I noticed the fever. They we're very active even when sick! Now Rocco has a recurrent reddish sore on his chin (not herpes), which responded beautifully to cortisone, but returned as soon as it wore off. Rocco has a stuffy nose and Coco's eyes water. I don't know what is causing the problems. I have air purifiers in several rooms, and they don't go outside. Rocco also has gingivitis. Are there any common Bengal cat allergens that I can eliminate? How do I prevent gingivitis? He chews on toothbrushes, but I can't brush his teeth. My breeder suggested raw beef and boiled chicken for the teeth. For the lip sore, I'm not sure. They eat every kind of bug that moves, if I don't get it first. They tore a screen and let a baby mouse in the house, but didn't eat it. We live in the very dry and hot southwest with lots of dust and allergens. I'm not sure what to do about the allergies, lip sore, and gingivitis. And I am afraid to give them any vaccines. Has anyone had these problems with their Bengals?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like your babies are extremely sensitive to several things. It is common for kitties to have reactions from the vaccines. The best thing is to talk with your vet. I don't know if they have lighter strains of the vaccines or what vaccines may be required by your municipality. While some owners who keep their cats indoors feel vaccinations are not necessary -- should the cats ever escape to the outside world, there can be problems.

As for allergies -- it's hard to figure out what may be causing it. Food allergies are common! Some kitties are allergic to fruit that may be in a grain-free food. Some may be allergic to corn products. Someone on here ws looking for the "cleanest" dry food for their kitty who seemed to be allergic to everything. Raw feeding can help in that case.

There are treats which will help clean the teeth, however, nothing is better than an actual cleaning by the vet. There are videos showing an owner brushing the cat's teeth. That would not go over well with mine and he, unfortunately, has to have a cleaning about every other year.

Hopefully, someone will add to this topic with more information.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When my cats were kittens they had allergy issues that were concerning. Blondie had red eyes and itched them until she gave herself an eye infection and had to go on eye drops and a cone until it cleared up. Her first year the eye issue kept coming up. I think it was airborne allergies but it is really hard to pin point. Thank goodness she finally grew out of it. They both nibble the fur off their bellies so they are on a single protein diet of venison, but they still do it. The vet thinks it is behavioral and said one out of 10 cats that come into her office do the same thing.

You may want to try a single protein diet for about 6 months and see if it helps your kitties. Pick a protein they have never had like venison, duck or rabbit. Science Diet makes a dry allergy food with a single protein but you need a vet to prescribe it. Then find a wet food with the same single protein and see what happens after several months. Blondie's red eyes went away after they started eating venison so maybe her itchy eyes were a food allergy?