[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Unexplained weight loss
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My heart goes out to you and your baby. He can't feel very well himself. I understand the high costs of tests for kitties. Many people do not opt for them and can't afford them. I know locally, we have some animal organizations that will help with the costs of tests on pets. You may want to see if there are similar organizations where you live. Others start a GoFundMe Page and hope that people see it and will donate. I really think you need to find out if there is indeed a mass there and what it actually is! Can it be removed through surgery? Will it continue to grow? Is it cancerous? It's so hard to just watch your baby deteriorate. In reality, there may be nothing you can do for him except make him comfortable . He is a gorgeous boy -- and I can only imagine what you are going through. {{{HUGS}}}

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:27 am 
Bengal Kitten

Okay so..

I am at a point right now where I feel like I need to make a decision...

The semi-sorta good news is:
He WILL eat - but it's minimal. As in - he'll take a few bites - and then be done with it and at THAT point there is absolutely nothing I can do to entice him to eat - no matter what I try to feed him or give him. He's just done. It's at that point I leave him to sleep and try again later. But even later - he again just eats the minimal amount. Nothing that will put any weight on him. He does drink and he does go to the litter box.

The bad news is:
He's lost so much weight - his bones are just starting to poke right through it seems. His eyes at this point seem to be almost glazed over or just weird looking - with a lot of gooey stuff at times. I have come home from work to see his left eye glued shut buy this gooey stuff and I took a warm cloth and gently washed it all away. It seems better now. But he can't really stand in place for long and his stance is very weak. He's taking to finding the darkest places in the house to sleep (such as underneath my saltwater tank stand) and he's never gone into those places before...

The steroids seem to have no effect at this point and the once a week B12 shots (he's only had one so far - every Thursday and I started last Thursday) at this point don't really seem like they are going to have any effect.

In MY eyes - he is in a state of constant suffering and seemingly starving to death because I can't get him to eat. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and tell him all this but truthfully - I don't think there is a recovery for him that I can even think of because I have tried everything I can think of. Unless there is some sort of IV that can constantly drip fluids and nourishment into him along with the steroids and the B12 shots in an effort to get him to put on weight and maybe somehow reverse the situation but again - I think this is all just wishful thinking on my part. Looking at him - all I see is suffering.

He went from vocal and active to THIS in a matter of months.
It was THAT quick.

Anyway - I think I need to make a decision at this point.
I guess I want an opinion - but I think I know what the decision has to be at this point regardless.

----

Even though his situation is emotional to me - I have gone through it 4 other times before him. He's the Bengal though and the reason I even came here to seek advice.
2 of the other cats were mine exclusively and lived about 16 years I believe. They were Gor Greybeard (my friend named him) and Chakra (female). Both black and whites. Gor died of old age - Chakra died of Cancer and followed the same route as Cairo is going now. Frak was a rescue from a family friend. He was an orange tabby. I made the decision to let him go in the end because of Liver complications followed by weakness with walking, eating, etc. They were going to put him down 2 years earlier because they couldn't afford any more tests or treatment and that's when I stepped in to take him. I got him the tests and treatment - and gave him another 2 years of a comfortable life (they had other cats and dogs and kids so it was a noisy atmosphere. I have none of that - well except the other cats). He got to relax and sleep on the bed and I think he enjoyed his last couple years in that respect. Loki was a grey longhair - and the funny thing about her was she got away and was gone for like 3 months before someone actually found her again and brought her back. Apparently she had been living somewhere out THERE and finally got tired of it and wandered back to civilization. Eventually - like Frak - she came to me because the family just didn't have the time to take care of her anymore in her old age and again they had dogs etc. She was the oldest - and got to the point where she was really weak from age. Good health up until the end. I made the decision to let her go when she could barely walk anymore, barely stand, which caused litter box problems etc... So my house has basically been a kitty rescue for friend/family senior cats where I could help them to live another couple of years comfortably and safe.

Anyway - Cairo is the last kitty and probably for now - the last kitty I will have.
I'll talk to the vet tomorrow and post the results of that conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't really see that you have any options to be honest. He probably isn't eating more because he's in pain and it makes him feel worse to eat. He's clearly dying, and it looks painful. You could probably start a really aggressive battery of tests and some really aggressive treatments, if the vet feels that would give your cat a shot, but you lack the funds to do that. This is where pet insurance could have helped, but that's 20/20 hindsight, you've done what you can, which was quite a lot. I think it's time to let go, I'm betting that is what the vet is going to say. In fact I'm surprised he hasn't already said that.

I know how upsetting this is, but I hope you don't give up on cats because of it.

Sorry you had to go through this, and my thoughts are with you and your cat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a heart breaking decision.
I agree with Brian, he looks like he's dying.
I think the kindest thing we can do for our pets when they get to this stage is send them off with dignity and love.
As hard as that is.

Good luck, much strength x

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's never easy to make this decision no matter how many times you have to do it.

I would go with your gut. From what you've said it does sound like he is suffering and slowly dying. If I were in your shoes, as hard as it is, I would take him in.

I'm sending you lots of love & light *hugs*

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so, so very sorry! It sounds as if he is telling you he is ready! It is so traumatic to have to make a decision, but we have to do what is best for our kitties! He is not eating--and it appears not eating enough to even maintain his weight. I don't know that there is any point in tests or finding out the cause. A male at who weighs 5 pounds may never be able to recover as weight gain would take forever.

I think we have ALL been where you are -- having to make a decision -- do I? Do I not? You have to look at it through the eyes of your baby! Something is definitely wrong with him -- and there may not be a cure, especially, if it is cancer.

It hurts to let go. But I know that another kitty will fill the void at some point when you are ready. Only you can make the decision that it's time to finally let him go. But, from the picture you posted, he is not a happy, carefree kitty and I think he wants to cross the Rainbow Bridge.

Please know that I am surrounding you and your baby with love and hugs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't know if Lap Of Love is available where you live, but their website has useful information and may help you with this painful decision. I was faced with this decision a few years ago and they were so helpful to me and my kitty. One thing that stands out in my mind…if euthanasia is what the vet recommends, you don't want to wait until it is your pet's worse day to be put to sleep. Exiting under panic, pain and stress is no way to go. Lap Of Love helps you let go in your own home in a kind, loving way. The cost was not cheap, but I scheduled an appointment during business hours and it was actually less costly than my overpriced vet office would charge. I took her to the crematorium myself and she had a private cremation. They will take him for you and the cost is less for a non-private cremation.
http://www.lapoflove.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Also want you to know we are here for you in the aftermath as well. Sending warm {{{HUGS}}} your way today.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:31 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Cairo passed away in his sleep last night.

I want to say - and will say for piece of mind - that he went peacefully. It's a rough revelation - but knowing this was a likely scenario I was ready for it. Today after work I was going to take him in to the vet to let him go from his suffering. I guess I didn't know he was THAT far into his situation - or maybe I did and just didn't want to accept it as a finality.

Anyway - thanks for everyone's responses, advice, and well wishes. This will be the last post I make - so with that I hope everyone the best with their beloved kitties and best of health. I hope that someone down the line can use this thread as a guide to what might be wrong with their sick kitty and/or review the treatments and actions I took as something they can potentially refer to or ask the vet about if their kitty is sick...

Always move forward and keep going...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm so sorry :sad:

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

R.I.P. Cairo. So sorry for your loss {{{big hugs}}}

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So sorry to hear about this, my heart is breaking for you, I am in tears reading your last post.

I hope in time you find peace, you will never forget your lovely boy, just remember the wonderful times you had together and the happiness he brought you.

Sending you comfort and love x

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am sitting here in tears reading this post. There but for the grace goes Merlin. He had similar sudden, drastic, weight loss problems last year, with raised Urea and white cell count. Thankfully he has recovered sufficiently to be a happy (grumpy and demanding!) old man - 17 in January next year.

It is always heartbreaking when your baby is ill and suddenly loses condition, character and oomph. You go through a phase of guilt - Should I, Could I, Why didn't I - But you still try your best. Sometimes, you just have to listen to what your baby is telling you, especially when the vet is hesitant.

I am so so very sad for Cairo, but know you did everything, and a bit more, that you possibly could, and he knew he was loved. He will be back whole again now, at Rainbow Bridge, knowing that one day you will be reunited and he can thank you for the devotion and care you gave him.

Play long and well, Cairo xxxxxxxxxxx

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cairo is at peace, at last, running free with all the other fur babies! I am so sorry and you have my deepest sympathy. I want to surround you with love and lots of hugs to get through this. A loss like this is never easy. You gave him the best care and the most love he had ever known. Sadly diseases can take our babies rather quickly. I know in time you will open your heart up to another rescue. I pray God gives you the strength you need to get through the grief. {{{HUGS}}}