[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Would you get a second?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Would you get a second?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello guys :)
So, I just learned that I will be getting £260 more a month than I thought - my financial tight situation has suddenly cleared up. I can, in fact, get another cat without any problems.
I have always wanted more than one, since I am aware they would do better together and that I could, without feeling guilty, stay at my parents at night on days when I have my period. And of course there's that intense feeling of making my dreams of cats come true ^^

My question is then, should I do it? Should I look around for a second Bengal to add to my household?
I live in a two room apartment where I have made ready for my first Bengal (he arrives in 2 weeks, at 16 weeks of age) with a cat wheel(to come in September) tall cat trees, climbing shelves and the like.

What are the pros and cons of getting a second Bengal?
I'm thinking it would arrive around December at earliest (12 weeks old) but I have learned that one should start looking a great deal of time before one wants the kitten.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Another boy I think, since my own is a biggie.
I did originally want two and it was only my own finances plus restrictions that stopped me :/
But I can afford to save for vet visits plus have insurance on both of them. (Covers well, including medicine)
I would probably not be able to get the funds until Start December - there's also the matter of finding a breeder here, it's a tiny country and lots of them only ever advertise on Facebook.

Sadly the breeder I get him from can't sell me another kitten - at least not without me paying for two flight tickets again (ouch wallet) and she only has 1-2 left a she's considering whether to keep one, so it's out of my reach for now.

I've fallen equally in love with Brown/silver but the availability is pretty much the same here. One will have to wait either way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I will say one thing once you have had one Bengal you will find more doors will open with breeders. I have found that some will only really talk to you if you've had a Bengal before so you now have that on your side. If you have had one most are more than happy to sell you more lol. Basically you're now part of the club lol.

If he's a big boy it depends on his personality as to if a boy or girl would suit him better, Griffith from what I've been told is gonna be a big boy he's got big paws but he's very laid back and quiet so any cat that lives with him would probably boss him around lol. If your boy is quite dominant you could be better having a girl with him as he's less likely to be really rough with her, male/female cats when neutered usually get on amazingly well, the issue with 2 boys is they do hit an age where they start posturing and wanting to assert dominance so you will get fighting, male bengals tend to be quite territorial so you would need to find a boy who would be ok being submissive.

Does your country have a Bengal breed club at all? Plus now that you have one you can enjoy him and wait for another to be born. Try contacting some breeders to go on a waiting list for a litter to be born later in the year. That way you wouldn't have to worry about plane tickets. Plus always remember to include photos of your boy when contacting breeders it makes it more personal and they are more likely to reply and know you are serious about wanting a kitten.

I've been told by breeders (of dogs and cats) that the issue with being online and having a website is they get so many emails from people who never follow up on the enquiry or really aren't serious, It helps if you make your email stand out and make them realise you are serious about getting one from them.

- Sarah
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

No Bengal breed club :/ at least it's been years since it was active.
I'm in a Facebook group though, one of the breeders have written there to me and there is a lady who wants to help contact the breeder who sold her her 3 silver girls.
Kinda hoping for one like hers, they're very special - but tbh brown is just as appealing :)

Indeed, their personalities will have to fit - I've never had a girl before so maybe that could work.
He is the biggest in his litter, he greets everyone at the door and all he wants to do is play all the time. She's got a habit of playing hands with him, so that'll be work for me.
I'll try to talk with my Bengal "mentor" (she's treated me so well even though all I'm doing is buy a cat wheel from her) I'll ask her what she thinks, it'll probably be a lot easier after I get to know him :)
He still doesn't have a nickname ;)

I think there is a lot to consider - also not all breeders are equally nice :/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Pros:

1. They will entertain each other in ways that humans just can't. It will take a burden away from you to be their sole playmate.
2. Honestly, many of the most memorable and entertaining moments with cats are the cat to cat sorts of behaviors.
3. If you think you'd like to have two cats at some point (which is what you've expressed), then getting two kittens NOW (more or less together) is likely to give them a much easier transition and acceptance of one another.

Cons:
1. Nearly double your costs (don't forget that the first year of cat ownership can often be one of the more costly ones). You're also doubling your odds of having a cat with serious health problems.
2. Many people feel that having two cats that become "best friends" come at the cost of their relationship with you to some extent
3. You are going to have head to toe scratches on your body for 6 months :lol:
4. After the first 12 months or so, there's going to be a much greater need for excellent catification. That's when cats (esp bengals) start to become more territorial
5. You always run the risk that your two cats will just be incompatible. Either from the start, or after they become adults.
6. Finding food that they both like, or managing two different sets of food is more hassle.

Overall I highly recommend doing it! But you just have to work on managing the "cons". The "My Cat From Hell" tv series is really helpful, as is the book "Cat vs Cat" for helping to understanding cat-to-cat dynamics and working through some of the challenges.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:13 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi there, seeing as though I took 3 in all at once then I'm defo gonna advise that you should go for a second.

I love watching how my girls interact. I originally bought Phoebe and Tyche and the breeder advised me that their Sister (now named Eos) had been returned by her owner due to not getting long with her existing Bengal.

My only advice if you're getting a second is to follow what you should do when introducing a new kitty because even though Eos arrived a day later, Phoebe and Tyche had lost/didn't recall her sense of smell and treated her as a complete stranger with lots of hissing and growling. It only took a day or so for them all to become the best of friends.

They are now all just over a year old and looking back I must have been mad to have got 3 all at the same time due to the mischief but I just love 'em.

So hell yes, go and get a second :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have two male brothers. I'm not sure I would go for two males again, it's hard work! I love them both to pieces but when they hit age 2, they reach social maturity and you have two males vying to be top cat. I had a pretty bad couple of months of fighting and aggression between them and had to get a behaviourist involved. All is well again now as I know how to deal with them and if we do have a hiccup, I don't get so stressed out.

The book Brian mentioned is very good (Cat vs Cat) and a must have. I now have most of this author's books (Pam Johnson-Bennett) - and I've watched some of her programmes on Animal Planet, she certainly knows her stuff. I follow her on Twitter too as she shares tips etc on there and I now know she has a rescue Bengal. Jackson Galaxy and My Cat From Hell is also an excellent programme for tips on multi cat households and catification.

If you get two males you need to be prepared for a bit of a bump in the road. I didn't think it would happen (although I'd heard how two males can fall out) as my two were incredibly close as kittens. It is fixable, but you need to be prepared to ask for help. Bengals don't always respond to 'normal' behaviourist solutions, so you would need someone familiar with Bengals.

In fact, last night my two had to be separated and effectively put on their kitty naughty steps. But overall, they are best buddies again - last night was due to me being home two hours later than usual and they'd become anxious. I kept checking their trackers to see what they were up to, and they were hanging around our drive or indoors, waiting for me and getting worried. Then when I got home, they took it out on each other! I couldn't avoid being home late but they like their routine and get worried if there is any change to it. I knew I was in for a rough evening!

It is a pleasure overall having two and watching their interactions. They have hugely different personalities despite being twins, but they are great fun and incredibly loving and affectionate - but you will be ripped to pieces for several months and they will try your patience and push their boundaries just like children - except these are children that don't grow up :lol:

It's a big decision and good luck with whatever you decide!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:17 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My biggest problem as I see it, is that I wouldn't be able to get the kitten until late November or beginning of December - making my lover boy 8 months old :/
Bengals here are £850 almost always(Marble is the exception with £700). So it takes some time to save for - since I went to zero (due to paying for all kinds of stuff in relation to my new place)

It would've been easier if she had another I could take - but alas my breeder is pretty popular so all her kittens are actually sold (lucky for her)
I'm thinking I should look for a girl, since they would probably get along better in the long run. We've had only boys and there's always been aggression in most of their interactions. They never really turned more than tolerant towards each other.

I do worry that I'll lose that special bond I really crave -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would love to have a second cat but Quasar is 4 years old and quite territorial when other cats come around our house. He has a dog buddy right now. Hubby was reluctant to get a cat in the first place. He loves Quasar but has decided that he is too old to get another cat OR dog.

I think that a second cat, at this time, would be a bad decision.

The decision to adopt any pet is individual. I believe that, if you want a second cat, it will work out if you choose to put the effort into it.

People have told me that they never would have believed a cat could be so unique as Quasar but this is because we have put the effort into training him to be this way.

Quasar had an exemplary model of behavior in our dog, Kyenta. He has learned to be adaptive and accepting of many situations because we have expected this of him and introduced him (at a very young age) to a variety of situations.

The last time we walked him in Yellowstone NP, he followed Kyenta along the trails. Others, as well as me, were astounded at the way he ambled along after our dog, observing wildlife and, seemingly, enjoyed himself. I am certain that his picture appears on many Japanese websites. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:37 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think considering you can't get 2 kittens at the same time and it won't be a cat he knows you should wait and see what his personality is like when you have him. He may be a cat that loves his own company and people, my last Bengal was like that, she didn't like cats and loved dogs instead.

I have so many photos of her playing with and grooming my mums retrievers, she raised them all. As she's buried in my parents garden all the dogs (5 of them) went out there and sat vigil next to her grave for most of the night mourning her the day she died, we couldn't even get them in for food. She got the same treatment as every other member of the pack who had passed away they saw her as another dog and mourned her like she was one of them. I've never seen dogs act like that over one of our cats before and we've always had cats.

Also you need to have a real think about if you do get a strong bond with him another cat could take that away. Wait and see what he's like when you get him and make the decision later in the year :)

- Sarah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'll wait then :) glad to have figured that out! I think it would've been good if it was one of the kittens from the same breeder, but as it cannot be so - I will observe :)
Be prepared for insane amounts of pictures and stories from my first few months with him XD

Thank you guys!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Awesome!! Can't wait to see photos when you get him, you've waited such a long time and trust me it will be completely worth it nothing is like having a Bengal.

- Sarah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Based on your previous posts, I'm going out on a limb and say I do not recommend a second cat for you. You are going to have enough stress and anxiety dealing with just ONE kitten. The extra money each month -- that's no reason to purchase another bengal. You will need to save that money for emergencies in the event your kitty gets sick and needs vet visits. Two cats cost double -- and you want to make sure you can afford and support Nevada.

The other thing is you are wanting Nevada for companionship. Another cat will become his companion and you will be left out of the loop, which may only get you more depressed!!! Your excitement over getting Nevada comes through -- and if I'm getting one, why not get two. It's just not that simple. Getting an older bengal to co-exist with another kitten can be stressful on you. I just don't think you need that in your life.

I say you enjoy Nevada and forget about adding another cat at this time. You don't even have him YET. You don't know how he will behave. Patience is the key here. And only just over two more weeks to go.

Just know this is MY opinion only -- and I'm basing it only on the details you've posted here. You asked -- this is my answer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's a good answer Sherry :)
Me and my family pretty much reached that too - we'll see how it goes with my first one :)