It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:16 am 
Bengal Kitten

I have had my little Meep for about 6 weeks, & she is now almost 5 months old. I have been around & owned cats since I was born. Currently have a Siamese female 14 yrs, Mixed black & white male 8 yrs old. Nothing has prepared me for this little kitten, aside from previous research before I had her. I find her delightful, but a handful. My other two cats don't know what to make of her, they just sit & watch her. She seems to understand when I tell her no, because she will immediately stop the behavior, however, in a matter of minutes she is right back at it. My only serious concern is that she constantly jumps on the back of the older Siamese. The Siamese cries, hisses, & growls, but the kitten will not back down. I have been working with her since I got her, but she still jumps the older cat continuously. The 8 yr old male plays with the kitten, but the kitten never jumps or antagonizes him. My Siamese weighs 8 lbs. my male 15 lbs. Also, both of my cats go outdoors. Does anyone here let their Bengals outside on their own? I live in a secluded area with a wooded park in the back.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:42 pm 
Senior Bengal

Bengal's are like no other cat I have ever owned and are truly one of a kind. To stop certain unwanted behaviour some owners recommend warm water in a spray bottle but I have never tried it lol Am sure there are answers to your question via google as am certain alot of cat owners will have had similar problems.

For letting your cat out, only you can decide. If you feel your Siamese is safe outdoors which is a pedigree breed then am sure your Bengal will be. My Bengal has gotten out more than once and luckily has always come home and i think the decision to let a Bengal out is no different than making the decision for any cat. Its all about judging your own kitty's personality with the outdoor world that they will encounter x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, welcome to our forum. Secondly, DO NOT ever use a spray bottle on your kitty! It only instills fear in them. And it will NOT stop the bad behavior.

Thirdly, and most important of all, YOU HAVE A BENGAL! Bengals are not like any other breed of cat. Not to mention, YOU HAVE A BENGAL KITTEN. My first question would be whether you did the introduction to your other kitties the proper way -- new kitten in safe room away from the other cats, swap out scents for a couple of weeks, etc.? Bengals have high energy -- bengal kittens have even higher energy! Do you play with your bengal? She needs that stimulation -- and most older cats will not give that, so you need to be playing with her. Does she have a cat tree?

As for letting her outside -- it's a personal decision but are you prepared to lose her? Yes, cats may come back, but eventually something will happen -- hit by cars, get attacked by a dog or wild animal or even another cat, get stolen by some person who loves a leopard-looking kitty. It's a simple solution so you don't have to deal with your bengal. We all have or have had bengals here and we learn to deal with them. Your bengal needs space. If you want her to experience the outdoors, build a catio or cat enclosure (google for some great ideas) or train her to walk on a harness and leash and take her for walks (mine gets two a day!).

I've had cats for over 50 years -- and I was used to cats who slept for 20 hours a day, ate, groomed, and went back to sleep. A bengal does not do this. I'm afraid you were not completely prepared to take care of a bengal (I know I wasn't when Raiden came into my life three years ago as a six-year old cat who had been allowed to roam free outside). I know how exasperating a bengal can be, but it is NOT the bengal's fault. Your kitten is acting completely normal for a bengal. Know, too, that bengals never grow up. They are perpetual two-year old toddlers.

You need to make sure that your other kitties have places they can go so they aren't bothered by your kitten. And you need to be wearing your kitten out with play -- they love wand toys. There are times when adding a new kitten, especially a bengal, will upset the balance in the household. Before you decide to toss her into the big outside world, you might want to see if the breeder will take her back or try to rehome her. She is not doing anything wrong. You simply need to understand this is the way of a bengal kitten and accept with it. I learned that you can't change a bengal ... I had to change my way of thinking about Raiden. He is truly a handful at times, but I love him and wouldn't have it any other way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, as Sherry said, make sure there are lots of cat trees and shelves etc so your Siamese can escape the clutches of your playful kitten. Try and avoid high places that lead to dead ends. Always give your older cats an escape route when the little wotsit won't leave them alone!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:13 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for all the Great information. I have no intention of giving away my Meep! I do play with her very often, she has tons of toys, and 2 climbing posts. She was introduced to my other cats in the proper manner & has her own bedroom. I am sure we are all adjusting to the change. All your ideas are very helpful!!!
Thank you again!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Look at those beautiful kitties!!! Once you understand the wonderful world of owning a bengal, they can be the greatest kitties in the world. You've only had your little gal for 6 weeks. That's not very long when you think of the years and years you'll enjoy her. She may still be settling in.