[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Has getting a second bengal ever made it worse?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:54 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello all,

New to posting on the forums, but have been reading the different topics on here. I have a silver bengal kitten female (4month) at the moment and we are about to get a brown bengal kitten (male) (10-11 weeks). Our silver bengal, Luna, ia everything that we wanted, she is sweet, not too mischievious, love cuddles as much as she loves playtime. We are a little apprehensive that getting a second kitten will upset the balance of things. Has anyone ever added a second bengal kitten to the mix and the situation got worse? Because typically everyone says they are awesome in pairs.

The breeder describes him as the alpha male, likes playing more than cuddling at the moment. Just interested in hearing people's perspectives. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your babies!! The first thing is, YOU'VE GOT TO BE POSITIVE about the two of them getting along. Both are young kittens -- that will help enormously as they will want to be playmates. I don't think there is a negative here. Even though the new one is a male, he is the new kid on the block. The most difficult part will be getting him settled into your household. I don't know how long it took your first baby, but adding a second one makes it a little harder as you may have to keep them separated for a couple of weeks and do a slow introduction. Swap out scents, etc. We have had members here who put the kittens together and things went smoothly from the start. Know that each cat has its own personality and it can take time for the new one to feel safe in his new environment. You will need patience and give this time. Know that the first few weeks can be hectic and stressful for you and the kitties, but things will settle down after a while and they should be the best of friends. Always supervise the kittens when they are together until you are certain they are not aggressive toward each other. Bengals will play rough, but you can tell the difference once a cat screams out in pain.

Hang in there ... good luck ... and we are here if you need us.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I added a second (Pearl a female) When Magic (male) was 4 years old and they got on straight away I didn't even separate them, they met on the first day I brought Pearl home, it was by accident but worked out fine.

I've had a few spats and a bit of bullying but that has sorted itself out.

Yours being much younger shouldn't have a problem.

I have found Magic is not as loving towards me since Pearl came along, on the other hand Pearl wants all the fuss and love that we can give her.

At this very moment they are playing hide and seek under my duvet, I can hear them bumping around upstairs.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:58 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

We brought the second kitten home today. There is a bit of growling and hissing, but there were also moments where they seemed somewhat at peace with each other. I'd say thats pretty good for a first encounter!

We would like to keep a saferoom for the new kitten, unfortunately we are in a 2bed/1 bath and my housemate occupies the second bedroom. The bathroom doesnt seem quite large enough for the kitten so they are sharing living space and my bedroom.

Luckily my girlfriend and I work different shifts so there is always someone to supervise. We are hoping they become best buds soon and hopefully there will be some photo ops for us to post soon.

Have to say I was/still am nervous about adding a second one to the mix. Hoping it all works out.

Thanks again everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hang in there and BE PATIENT! The kitties will work things out. Hissing and growling is normal. Just make sure things do not escalate into a full blown fight. The two of them have to get used to each other's smells. Give it time. In a couple of weeks, there should be a HUGE change. Engage the two of them in play together. Feed them in the same general area. They will get used to each other as they are still kittens. They may make you feel left out of the mix when they bond closely. Hopefully, you have a nice tall cat tree for them to lounge and sleep in. We want pictures of them together.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:16 am 
Bengal Kitten

Just a little update. Its been a few days. They've been mostly okay, some fighting and alot of hissing and growling initially. Then last night, we came into the bedroom, and they had curled up together to sleep. This was the moment we had been waiting for. Theres no longer any hissing or growling, and weve seen them grooming each other as well.

Only thing is the rough play. Ive heard that bengals can be pretty rough with the play. Unsure sometimes whether to separate them during these moments or let them have at it. The older female bengal likes to mount the younger one and seems to just sink her teeth into him. Sometimes hell squirm and fight back, other times he just seems defeated and lays there. We usually break it up if we hear a painful sounding squeak, but otherwise we just let them do their thing.

Anyway to know for sure that they arent hurting each other?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:04 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hearing noises during fighting would concern me because when my 2 play fight it is always done without any sound. Hissing or any audible signs of pain ( that don't cause the other cat to stop playing ) indicate it might be going too far.

Good signs to look for - cleaning each other during play, they'll be in the middle of biting each other's ears off or disembowelling each other and stop, clean each other and then start again. Also the same but stopping to offer their bum up to the other cat for a sniff ( in cat language saying "look, it really is me" ) and then continuing on rolling around the floor.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I told you to give it a few days -- and you caught them sleeping together! That's success!!! Bengals are known for rough play, however .... one will usually yell out in pain if they get injured -- however, do not let it get to that point. While they love playing with each other, humans need to be playing with them individually as well. Teeth should not be bared when they are playing together. Infections can occur if the teeth break the skin of the other cat. I'd err on the side on caution and separate them when you feel it's getting too rough -- just as you would with children. They fight -- but you don't allow them to bite each other or slug it out with fists. One bengal brings quite the adventure -- with two, it's 10 fold. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:53 am 
Bengal Kitten

I brought home a kitten Bengal when my older Bengal cat was four years old.

At first, Jezebel, the older Bengal, hissed, spat and growled at the kitten. The poor kitten, Zelda, had no idea what she had done to offend Jezebel. Poor Zelda!

But after two-three days, Jezebel decided Zelda was okay, and Zelda chased Jezebel, and Jezebel chased Zelda! They wrestled! They wrangled! They slept near each other on the bed!

Occasionally, Zelda has too much energy for Jezebel, and Jezebel will meow loudly but that is about the extent of their disputes these days.

Cat Friend